T-Cross or Hyundai Venue ?

eddy

I am looking for a smallish SUV lookalike vehicle in the T-Cross class which won the category in the latest SA Car of the year review; but the Hyundai had not yet arrived so wasn't scored.

Which of these brands ? Which of these two or should I look at something else completely ? 

All advice greatly appreciated as I know zip about this segment.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The T-Cross will always have good resale value.

I was looking at the specs of the Venue though and its really kitted out for its price.

Not sure what the price difference but the Hyundai will most likely be better value for money with worse resale.

Between the two, around the R350k mark, I'd go for the T-Cross.  I'm keen to see the new T-Cross 1.5TSI, as this would be an awesome small car.

Having said that, if you look at the more expensive T-Cross Highline, I'd also consider a Tiguan Trendline.

Between the two, around the R350k mark, I'd go for the T-Cross.  I'm keen to see the new T-Cross 1.5TSI, as this would be an awesome small car.

Having said that, if you look at the more expensive T-Cross Highline, I'd also consider a Tiguan Trendline.

That's a lot of money for what is/was essentially a polo cross.

Edited by stefmeister

I am looking for a smallish SUV lookalike vehicle in the T-Cross class which won the category in the latest SA Car of the year review; but the Hyundai had not yet arrived so wasn't scored.

Which of these brands ? Which of these two or should I look at something else completely ? 

All advice greatly appreciated as I know zip about this segment.

second hand something and more bikes

If you want to be part of the crowd, go for the T-Cross, everybody has them.

The Venue is a lot less common, but sales will probably pickup.

Nissan has the new Kicks coming out as well as a new Juke.

The T-Cross will always have good resale value.

I was looking at the specs of the Venue though and its really kitted out for its price.

Not sure what the price difference but the Hyundai will most likely be better value for money with worse resale.

Between the two, around the R350k mark, I'd go for the T-Cross. 

The Hyundai is marginally cheaper but that is only because the VW is priced-listed without any extras. (I think 4 wheels and a driver's seat are about all that is included in the list price; and I am not sure about the seat)

By the time you have added the features that Hyundai have as standard, the gap is significant. And here I am not talking about stuff like sun-roof or paintmatched body panels and bling 20" mags, but useful stuff like PDC, keyless entry,  and cruise control, not to mention a much better warranty.

Edited by eddy

Also consider the Suzuki Vitara.

Check the tyres size on the VW. We have a lot of problems finding stock on some sizes for the new Tiguan.

Some of the 18 and 19 inch tyres go for around R4500 per tyres.

Something to keep In mind.

Traded ("downgraded") my golf 7 for a Vitara recently. Can't vouch for it yet, but it's Japanese and rated most reliable, along with a 5yr/200k warranty. I've no faith in VW's TSi engines; my golf's engine was rebuilt at 45k km. My neighbour that works for vw also confirmed that it's a weekly occurrence there with the TSi engines.

Haval H2!

close the thread :rolleyes:

Problem with Haval is its part of the GWM stable. Once a GWM hits 4 or 5 years it starts to deteriorate quicker than Korean/European/Japanese brands.

Until Haval is been in the country for at least 10 years and have proven themselves not to fall apart, I won't consider one

VW quality and class is in a league all on its own, but agree on those tsi motors. Wouldn't touch with a barge pole. My brother is in the motor industry and those motors have such a bad reputation.

Can't beat Hyundai for value and warrantee but I also like the Suzuki. My mother in law has the Suzuki SX4 2.0l petrol and winds the heck out of it... Goes for normal service and that's it.

Agree on wheels size, be careful not to get caught out with an odd size.

Why not look for a 1 year old Mazda CX5,bigger car and that motor is superb.

The KIA Seltos also looks like a well spec’d vehicle. Wanted to test drive but they were so busy I walked away.

If you want boring looks, but well spec’d try the Mitsubishi ASX (has naturally aspirated, 2.0 engine).

The KIA Seltos also looks like a well spec’d vehicle. Wanted to test drive but they were so busy I walked away.

If you want boring looks, but well spec’d try the Mitsubishi ASX (has naturally aspirated, 2.0 engine).

Might as well then consider a 2018 Toyota RAV4

NICE car .... worst 2nd hand value of all the vehicles I have owned !!  Which makes it an even better option for the 2nd owner.  BUT, dont expect fuel consumption like you will get with the modern cars ....

Then again, most modern cars are still stupidly heavy on fuel on short rides and rush hour traffic .... 16km/l+ on the open road, struggle to get better than 11km/l on the short trips and in very heavy traffic - small engines and heavy bodies dont like the stop-start ....

which reminds me .... I HATE the "stop-start" in the modern VW's ....  had a TSI as a rental on Monday (450km for the day) ... damn stop-start is most annoying, other than that a bland car that does its job ....  gotta give it credit for VERY good fuel consumption on these long drives though.

Which brings me to a totally different point .... "why" do you want to buy a car, or rather, "what" do you want to use it for ?  The ideal "rep" car certainly is not the ideal family car is certainly not the ideal life style car, etc etc ....  YOUR requirements will differ from the next guy, which in turn will require a different ideal vehicle.