Gravel & Monster Cross Custom Bike Shootout!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always fascinated by the individual ideas on what the perfect custom bike should look like. 

It's like cooking good food, the ingredients and recipes are endless!

Why not let the photos do the talking!

I'll show you mine, then lets see yours...

Lovely looking Setup. What frame is that?

yey! i dont have any recent pics of mine though but ill share the ones i have in my attachments.
Soma valhallen. Tange prestige steel frame. carver carbon front fork, oveja negra frame bags...and i mostly ride it with the Surly 15* backsweep cromo bars for comfort. i ride it for everything. rode it in the cycle tour last weekend too. such a comfy steed.

post-64325-0-90585600-1570521796_thumb.jpeg
post-64325-0-86317000-1559834070_thumb.jpeg
post-64325-0-90360100-1560408072_thumb.jpeg

post-64325-0-55851400-1584101081_thumb.jpeg

Been loving riding this more than I expected.

Still toying with the idea of lowering the front end (fork with lower axle to crown height), but I'm comfortable like it is and that would probably affect the handling.

post-2133-0-75490700-1584102194_thumb.jpeg

Been loving riding this more than I expected.

Still toying with the idea of lowering the front end (fork with lower axle to crown height), but I'm comfortable like it is and that would probably affect the handling.

I replaced the 29" rigid fork on my Jamis with a 26" one, looks way better and more 'correct', I don't feel so upright and more comfortable ... Hasn't changed the handling or anything so much that I can notice.

For those asking; yes this is one of ours.

Super cool project we did with MUNGA specific details such as:

- 5x Bottle cages on the frame.

- Custom geo.

- 650b 2.8" rear wheel, and 29er front with the Lauf.

Last said feature is really interesting and worked a charm keeping the rider body in tact on the famous "sinkplaat".

I'm always fascinated by the individual ideas on what the perfect custom bike should look like. 

It's like cooking good food, the ingredients and recipes are endless!

Why not let the photos do the talking!

I'll show you mine, then lets see yours...

post-94908-0-34331600-1584035550.jpg

yey! i dont have any recent pics of mine though but ill share the ones i have in my attachments.
Soma valhallen. Tange prestige steel frame. carver carbon front fork, oveja negra frame bags...and i mostly ride it with the Surly 15* backsweep cromo bars for comfort. i ride it for everything. rode it in the cycle tour last weekend too. such a comfy steed.

That's such a comfy looking setup!

Not quite a custom build, more minor alterations at the moment, but the frame suits my needs and she will be adapted over time.

That seat looks well used and very comfy!

Can I ask why the steep stem? Couldn't the bars have been placed in the prefered place with the frame go without going for that stem?

For those asking; yes this is one of ours.

Super cool project we did with MUNGA specific details such as:

- 5x Bottle cages on the frame.

- Custom geo.

- 650b 2.8" rear wheel, and 29er front with the Lauf.

Last said feature is really interesting and worked a charm keeping the rider body in tact on the famous "sinkplaat".

Can I ask why the steep stem? Couldn't the bars have been placed in the prefered place with the frame go without going for that stem?

looks like a standover height vs reach vs axel to crown equation.

depending on what version of the Lauf that is...it's axle to crown measurement could be as much as 50-70mm less than a 120-140mm telescopic fork for instance. imo if the frame was designed purely to take a rigid or Lauf....and the owner wanted to put something else on there at a later stage...the geometry would be all out of wack probably. using a taller stem or more spacers makes it a temporary 'compromise'. 

i have the similar thing happening on my current bike. with the rigid fork and to get the bars i want them for all day comfort (±level with seat)...i ride it with that 80mm riser Surly handlebar. if i want it in a more xc configuration for short events i swop it out for a 35mm riser with a longer stem (normal 6* stems). the axel to crown measurement of most rigid mtb forks is around 490mm. But thats the suspension corrected measurement for a 100-120mm travel fork only. a 140mm fork (my frame's max) has a axel to crown measurement of around 550mm on avarage.

so theres the 'missing' 50mm.

Bit of a complicated story here. I commute between Sydney and Auckland, so I keep my roadie in Sydney on a trainer.

When the lockdown became virtually certain I decided to get something cheap to put on my trainer here and I found these new Spez SirrusX at my local bike shop. As it turns out the frames are actually really nice, so I did a bit of upgrading.

Groupset, handlebars and pedals and voila. She is probably the most comfyride I have ever owned!

Her name is Rona.

post-2861-0-70543600-1585381692_thumb.jpegpost-2861-0-43317000-1585381655_thumb.jpegpost-2861-0-51687300-1585381732_thumb.jpeg