Koeberg Nature reserve closed to public

SURFER

Sent the comment from @Albatross to a friend who used to cycle there often, and his response was "They could have done this during the pandemic😠"

You know what, he is right.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Sent the comment from @Albatross to a friend who used to cycle there often, and his response was "They could have done this during the pandemic😠"

You know what, he is right.

Same thought crossed my mind, hopefully its a valid reason like they can only do maintenance on dam/roads during the wet months of the year :unsure:

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

so two more years then :P

More like 12…

edit: dont they want to build a new turbine to extend its life past its use by date or something? I read or heard somewhere it was technically supposed to be decommissioned somewhere this decade?
Edit2: yup…just read it was designed with a service life of 40y..so 2024😅 Dont know how i feel about our stellar government and eskom poking around in the proverbial dark with a technically expired nuclear power station haha

i lived next to guy in town that worked for OTIS and they are/were working on all the lifts in there and he said then that place is falling apart inside lol

Chris?

Edited by MORNE

I honestly don’t see Koeberg opening up any time soon.As said before it’s a privilege to ride there.Any maintenance etc could have been done during pandemic.There is currently protests against the extension of the life of koeberg(by a very very small group)and imo this is the reason it is closed and will remain closed indefinitely.Koeberg has been closed before every time the greenies object to something.It’s easier for them just to remain closed to the public than to deal with those loonies constantly.

just my 2C.

26 minutes ago, stringbean said:

I honestly don’t see Koeberg opening up any time soon.As said before it’s a privilege to ride there.Any maintenance etc could have been done during pandemic.There is currently protests against the extension of the life of koeberg(by a very very small group)and imo this is the reason it is closed and will remain closed indefinitely.Koeberg has been closed before every time the greenies object to something.It’s easier for them just to remain closed to the public than to deal with those loonies constantly.

just my 2C.

You gotta be a special kind of loony to lump concerns about the environment under the umbrella "Greenies". You read any of the UN reports recently? 

Also to consider a nuclear power plant outside of it's specced life span, situated a stone's throw from the most rapidly expanding boundary of the Metropole and run by a bankrupt power utility in a third world country administered by corrupt and stupid people a fringe concern is, as you so eloquently put it, loony.

That having been said,  I do miss thrashing the gravel bike around those roads.

• 8 months later...

Hi All, any news on the Koeberg Nature Reserve and when they will be opening it for Cycling and Running to the Public, seems they are allowing Eskom Staff to cycle in the reserve.

Can we not raise this with Local Counsellors and put pressure on Koeberg to allow the Public?

Thanks,

Gary

Edited by garylaue@gmail.com

1 hour ago, GazzaLaue said:

Hi All, any news on the Koeberg Nature Reserve and when they will be opening it for Cycling and Running to the Public, seems they are allowing Eskom Staff to cycle in the reserve.

Can we not raise this with Local Counsellors and put pressure on Koeberg to allow the Public?

Thanks,

Gary

Traditionally it was closed during maintenance periods.

As Unit 1 was shut down a week ago for a 6 month maintenance period it is unlikely they will let civilians in now.

PS . We have a friend starting now, so would have loved access ...

I know someone who's dad works there. His dad just bought a bike to ride there, and upon enquiring about trail access his dad replied that the nature reserve is no longer accessable to the general public. It's only Eskom staff that may make use of the trails there now. 

I'm not sure if this will change at some future point but for now it seems that Koeberg is no longer available to cycle.

to be fair all the staff have been through safety inductions, have had site specific cautions etc. Letting the general public in is just a massive safety risk. You just need 1 idiot getting lost and ending up in a dangerous situation. They also probably want as few people around as possible given the sabotage etc going on. I think it is a sad loss, but an understandable one.

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

to be fair all the staff have been through safety inductions, have had site specific cautions etc. Letting the general public in is just a massive safety risk. You just need 1 idiot getting lost and ending up in a dangerous situation. They also probably want as few people around as possible given the sabotage etc going on. I think it is a sad loss, but an understandable one.

I was very surprised when I moved here from france to hear it was allowed to access the surroundings of a power plant like that. But then got used to it, and having it taken away sucks.

But yeah, guess it makes sense... But to be fair, it was always strictly controlled (ID/registration checked, designated hiking/cycling routes quite far from the plan...) so I guess the risk was quite minimal

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

I was very surprised when I moved here from france to hear it was allowed to access the surroundings of a power plant like that. But then got used to it, and having it taken away sucks.

But yeah, guess it makes sense... But to be fair, it was always strictly controlled (ID/registration checked, designated hiking/cycling routes quite far from the plan...) so I guess the risk was quite minimal

But the French are dodgy, so it makes sense :P

Koeberg could move to an access system where you need to register and pass a basic security clearance to gain access .... with possibly a wild life donation to assist with the wild life management on site on a yearly basis.