Big and Heavy and keen to cycle

martin sycholt

Hi Im 2.05 metres tall and weigh 170kg. Im ill from high blood pressure and kidney weaknesses.

I need to find a bike to be able to do light exercise but with the possibility of building up. However Im not sure what bike can hold my weight and do not trust all the bike shops since they generally just into sales and most don't really know whether there are weight limits.

Can somebody please advise me on a relatively inexpensive (under ten K) bike? What are the fat-cats like? Do you get more traction and therefore safer all round road holding and ride? PLEASE help I would appreciate the advice.

Martin  WELCOME to the Hub.

The weak link typically is the rims.  I do believe that speaking to a pro-wheel builder will be good start .... trust more experienced riders will add their input.

Maybe invest in decent rims, that you can use on your next bike.

Question - road or mountain bike ?

PS - on a slightly different topic, when I started on my road to recovery I found a decent bike computer that shows cadence and hart rate a VERY handy tool !

Do you want a road bike or a MTB??

I'M 2M 160KG and I've found a MTB is alot more comfortable and more importantly the gearing is more forgiving on up hills.

There are some decent 10k bikes around

That you can start off with in the classifieds...

Hi Martin.Welcome to the hub. I'm not the same weight as you are but when I started cycling I weighed in at 146kg. At that stage I was seriously into powerlifting and that was taking the toll on my body and joints. I rode a ghost 29er handrail mountain bike initially on standard setup that did not blink an eye even on trails. Since then I have switched to road. I found that shimano wheels were quite strong and took the beating even for a low spoke count. Over the years I have dropped down to 102kg and still no issues with wheels. Speak to a decent wheel builder and get a set of wheels built. Recently got a set of wheels from the hub that were not properly built and they did give issues. Had them sorted out properly and no problems again even on the Lesotho roads that make ours look decent.

27 inch wheels are a lot stronger and I would not recommend rear suspension and what about a E-bike to start with ? helps you over the uphills, you have a bigger reach and gives you a wider choice on where to ride (depending where you based).Don't go for a cheapie you need some solid base.
edit:forget about the ebike only read your budget now

Edited by Brakepad

27 inch wheels are a lot stronger and I would not recommend rear suspension and what about a E-bike to start with ? helps you over the uphills, you have a bigger reach and gives you a wider choice on where to ride (depending where you based).Don't go for a cheapie you need some solid base.

edit:forget about the ebike only read your budget now

Completely agree here. Even at 100kg I've been near the upper limit for shock pressures on some bikes. At 170 the required presure would be far over the max upper limit. 

Hardtail, but one with a strong fork and good wheels. Something like a Silverback Slade Trail, On One 45650 and so on. DO NOT get a racing XCO / XCM hardtail. You will be over the weight limit. Stronger & burlier is your best option. 

I also have a weight problem. Did a lot of research and asked for advice. Even contacted CRC direct. I wanted to get the best and strongest wheels I could afford. They suggested a well known brand name trail or enduro rims. They were very helpfull and could have easily suggested the most expensive wheels.

I ended up getting Nukeproof Generator All Mountain DH rims and hubs. And the most important thing is, I got it built 3 cross from my wheel builder I have been using for the past 20 years.

I am also heavy, can endorse what others say regarding the frames and ancillaries being strong enough. Problem is wheels, nickthewheelbuilder on this site can sort you out with a set that will hold up. I have broken loads of wheels - found a solution that I really love in a Silverback Double scoop Fatbike. It can go anywhere a 29er can and the wheels have a 200kg weight limit. Mine has 2 x 10, so there is always a low enough gear for serious uphills to keep the heart rate in check.

I also think a Fatbike will be your best option. The upside of them is that you can get them at very good prices 2nd hand. It was a big fad, and very few people actually used them and now want to get rid of them.

I'd look at 2x10 gearing for range...

Good luck on your journey, and kudos on getting started!

You are really going to struggle to get a frame that fits you as you are so tall. Bike-trekking bikes will work great for you as they are made to carry extra load.

You are a XXL or maybe XXXL frame size so be sure to only look at bikes that come in that size

Hi Martin - let us know where you are in SA and we can offer some more specific advice?

to echo some of what has been said above

1. MTB rather than road - will help you to hold a more comfortable position I think

2. Goes without saying Aluminium or steel frame and aluminium wheels, not carbon

3. I don't think it makes a difference whether 26, 27.5 or 29. I would suggest a 29er because the bigger wheel will better pair with the larger frame. There are some decent looking options on the hub in your price bracket.

4. you can take the stock wheels to a bikeshop for advice - they should be able to increase the spoke tension on the existing wheelset for a higher weight rider, or swop out your rims for something more sturdy (bit more expensive). do not ride wheels built for a lighter rider - they will loosen up on you.

5. Good luck. huge respect for what you are doing - I ride with a few guys who have lost 25kgs+ and they have never looked back. Your planned transformation is inspiring.

I got my father a silver back scoop back in the day to get back into cycling. Cost 18k new. Sold it eventually due to a myriad of excuses he had. He is also 145kg @ 1.9m. Retrospect tells me he may have gotten into it had he started off with one of those chilled squirrel sand eaters. Have a look at their site. They make decent wattage long range sand carving machines. They do it custom too so should be able to build something decent that you'd WANT to ride. It mustn't be a sukkel.