StevieL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was going on my list but I like Rancid a smidge more

attachicon.gif3FA95230-A615-4F02-8949-E67789EF1A56.jpeg

Really? Only song on that album I really liked was Jennifer lost the war. I'd rank Smash, Ixnay, Americana, Conspiracy and Ignition (maybe even Rise and Fall) above that album.

Ooh, almost forgot about Blink Enema of the State. Also an amazing album.

There's a couple of bands like that... It's usually the ones that influence others musicians... Beatles, Smiths, Pixies... Can't explain it..

Of those three:

Queen is dead

Come on Pilgrim

Revolver

Great albums indeed. The late 80's/early 90's era was such a fantastic period for music. IMO it matches the 60's/70's.

SNG - the influence they had on SA Rock was immense, taking it overseas and becoming a voice for a generation thirsty for decent music. how they recorded their first couple of albums will go down as folklore history. still regret not seeing them live at Dunkers in SSW way back when I was 15 and sneaking into a pub was our life's mission. I got in, but not knowing who they were, conservative me thought it was a stripshow of some kind and i bailed like a chicken. finally got to see them live MANY years later.

Seether/Saron Gas - Shaun's powerful voice reminds me a bit of the GOAT James Hetfield. Fragile was their first album under their name at the time (Saron Gas), and its rock at its purest. Ive seen them live at the 2006 Coke Fest, opening for Metallica, then again at Grand West and also an acoustic set at Kirstenbosch. Shaun never fails to impress.

Good bands those.

Some other firm favourites: Boo - managed to see them twice.

Hog Hoggidy Hog - they could bring a crowd almost as wild as Fuzi

The Hellphones

There were some really good punk and ska bands that came and went over the years

I really hoped Fuzi would make it onto the international scene. J-Bones is a very talented musician, sings well, writes good songs and music and is actually good with people. Think the rest of the band held him back

Tough task! My list today...

Bob Dylan - blood on the tracks

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Neil young - harvest

Led Zeppelin - Remasters (is that fair)

The Sex Pistols - Never mind the billocks

The Clash - The Clash

GnR-Lies

Sublime - Sublime

Nirvana - Nevermind

Ben Harper - Fight for your mind

Good bands those.

The Hellphones

There were some really good punk and ska bands that came and went over the years

I really hoped Fuzi would make it onto the international scene. J-Bones is a very talented musician, sings well, writes good songs and music and is actually good with people. Think the rest of the band held him back

Wow, blast from the past.

If no-one mentioned Hog, Boo or Fuzi here, I'd probably never remember those live shows.

Also recall seeing the following. Good times, but it feels like ages ago.

Battery 9

Not My Dog

Neshamah

Sugardrive

Lithium

Wonderboom

The Awakening

Saron Gas

5 star society

Squeal 

Really? Only song on that album I really liked was Jennifer lost the war. I'd rank Smash, Ixnay, Americana, Conspiracy and Ignition (maybe even Rise and Fall) above that album.

Ooh, almost forgot about Blink Enema of the State. Also an amazing album.

To be fair I like everything up until Americana. Bit the rawness of this one is what I like.

If no-one mentioned Hog, Boo or Fuzi here, I'd probably never remember those live shows.

Battery 9

Not My Dog

Neshamah

Sugardrive

Lithium

Wonderboom

The Awakening

Saron Gas

5 star society

Squeal

Bought the not my dog prime cuts album the other day. Man what a memory trip. Was a lekker time to be young when woodstock was still in heidelberg and gigs at Nile.

Good bands those.

The Hellphones

I visited my Gran once in Stellies, Hoggs were playing at Mystic and she came with. She had a blast, took photos with George and got a signed CD. She still listens to it when she misses me ???? Good times.

Sho, Battery 9, Squeal and Sugardrive were also among my favorites around that time! We had some musical talent floating around when we were unable to see international acts on SA soil, thats for sure!

Battery 9

Not My Dog

Neshamah

Sugardrive

Lithium

Wonderboom

The Awakening

Saron Gas

5 star society

Squeal

There were two South African bands that I absolutely loved

The Kalahari surfers and Die Kerel's

The Kalahari Surfers - bigger than Jesus album is a masterpiece

5aaa4ae5985b44e68c1f8e34774b163a.jpg

This will probably make it into my list also:

post-25481-0-55634600-1584565279_thumb.jpeg

But there are really more than I can actually think of.

Battery 9

Not My Dog

Neshamah

Sugardrive

Lithium

Wonderboom

The Awakening

Saron Gas

5 star society

Squeal

Noone remembers the best one-off South African album by Odyssey from the late 80:s early 90's?

Look up 'Ozone' or 'Macbeth' if you can find it on the Web. Awesome songs

https://youtu.be/c1cDZfDXXzc

Ozone starts at 19:00 with an acoustic thing.

Give this a listen if you never have before.

Edited by Thor Buttox

Sho, Battery 9, Squeal and Sugardrive were also among my favorites around that time! We had some musical talent floating around when we were unable to see international acts on SA soil, thats for sure!

Squeal - Long pig. I freakin' loved that album!!! That brings back memories. Where could I find that nowadays?!

Sugardrive - When I died, I was Elvis. Another cracker!

Squeal - Long pig. I freakin' loved that album!!! That brings back memories. Where could I find that nowadays?!

Sugardrive - When I died, I was Elvis. Another cracker!

Both albums are available on Apple Music and no doubt Deezer, Spotify and Google Play.

Apple Music also has some Plush which I was exposed to by a colleague when we were in Mozambique on an extended field visit. Great sound; terrible history...

I posted 'Tainted' on the Song of the Day thread.