Indoor Trainer Thru-Axle Options

aquaratza

I've got a Wahoo Kickr Snap and I'd like to put an MTB on it. I've had an indoor trainer slick installed on a spare wheel, so that's sorted, but now I need to mount the bike (Specialized Camber 2016) on the trainer.

The existing axle has a hole in it that runs the full length of the axle (with an allen key opening on one side). The QR skewer the trainer comes with goes into this hole on one side but can't exit the other side due to an obstruction in the tube.

One shop recommended this: https://www.wahoofitness.co.za/kickr-snap-142-adapter.html

...which costs R 1499 retail. That seems excessive for a piece of metal. Does anyone know if there's a cheaper option? Preferably one that can reuse the existing axle's tube?

Thanks!

I don't understand your question 100%. But when I called bike addict cos I wanted to know if the Diablo could fit the snap, they told me the part to convert it cos 300 rand. Best give them a call Monday. They very helpful.

I don't know about the snap, but on the kickr you buy a separate skewer with some machined spacers and then it works 100%.

Edited by dave303e

My option will be slightly more expensive than the R1500 price tag but it will save you lots of issues down the line: 

Get yourself a cheap 26er and use that permanently as a stationary bike.  

This is good advice. You will also be surprised what older out dated spares you can get hold of. I got a few 10 speed chains and cassettes from guys who upgraded to 1x11, so the trainer bike is costing me minimal on maintenance. My race bike is doing 1/3 of the km it would have done as well.

I probably have too many bicycles  :drool:  :P (is there such a thing?). The indoor trainer is for both my and my partner's use. Each of us having trainer bikes would take our bike count from 4 to 5, which is probably heading towards #obsessive haha, hence me wanting to get a skewer/adaptor that lets us use our existing bikes. I already use my one bike on the trainer (road bike).

But yes, some good input above, thank you :)

There's a company called The Robert Axle Project, in the US, that does axles for MTBs, suitable for trainer use that can also be used for outside/normal riding.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is somewhat poignant but perhaps it's useful to someone: I landed up ordering axles from The Robert Axle Project in the US. They're really good and they're much cheaper than the Wahoo option. You print out a PDF and measure your existing axle against the printout. Happily they arrived today just before the Covid lockdown started. They fit both my bikes and my Kickr Snap trainer perfectly.

They're advertised as being suitable for in and outdoor use.

post-128151-0-29829200-1585261129_thumb.jpg

This is what happens when you wake up at the last minute. I used a probike trainer 2 years ago on a bike that had QR axles. Without checking I planned on using my Anthem on the same trainer. Turns out a thru axle does not work.

Found this out on day 1 of lockdown. Nice.