Replacement of M775 brake caliper

yambanshee

Hi guys

I have a leaking rear caliper on my 2010 Anthem X2. It's a M775 Deore XT brakeset, but getting a direct replacement seems impossible (and impractical). There's currently a SLX M7100 caliper on sale.

Would this be a simple swap? or would there be compatibility issues with housing, etc?

Where do I need to start to check for compatibility for other calipers?

Thanks!

Shimano calipers are pretty much all cross compatible, the current gen will fit. SLX and XT both use the banjo fitting, so it should be a straight swap.

If replacing with a caliper that uses a compression nut you can just cut the banjo off if the hose is long enough.

Edited by droo

Also, leaking from where? If it's from the shut line between the two caliper halves you'll either need to tighten the bolts that hold the castings together or replace the o-ring between them. If it's pistons, new caliper is the right call.

Also, leaking from where? If it's from the shut line between the two caliper halves you'll either need to tighten the bolts that hold the castings together or replace the o-ring between them. If it's pistons, new caliper is the right call.

I'm not entirely sure. My knowledge on bike mechanics is limited, and researching the topic lead me to believe it's not really a fixable item. I'll try and see what I can figure out where the leak is coming from

I'm not entirely sure. My knowledge on bike mechanics is limited, and researching the topic lead me to believe it's not really a fixable item. I'll try and see what I can figure out where the leak is coming from

Find a decent mechanic then. Unless you're well trained in research and willing to throw unnecessary money at a problem, Google and Youtube are not your friends.

Where are you based?

Edit: I realise that may sound a bit harsh, but having someone to take over when you run out of talent is invaluable when you're learning a skill. If you're lucky said mechanic may share insights into the issue with you so you can sort it out next time.

Edited by droo

Find a decent mechanic then. Unless you're well trained in research and willing to throw unnecessary money at a problem, Google and Youtube are not your friends.

Where are you based?

Edit: I realise that may sound a bit harsh, but having someone to take over when you run out of talent is invaluable when you're learning a skill. If you're lucky said mechanic may share insights into the issue with you so you can sort it out next time.

Not harsh, I agree with you completely. I've taken it into 3 different bike shops, and each time they tell me it's fixed, and each time it is not. This is largely the reason I've stopped seeking professional help for this issue.

I'm based in Stellenbosch

If you haven't been to Williams in SW, go there. If you have and Darren couldn't fix it, replace the caliper.

If you haven't been to Williams in SW, go there. If you have and Darren couldn't fix it, replace the caliper.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll pay him a visit

Hey yambanshee, no stress. If you would rather go the cheaper route, its all good.

Buyers remorse sucks :) Let me know if you still want the SLX, but as I said, no hard feelings if you decide to go with the Deore.

That would have been perfect. But I've already arranged with someone on the marketplace for an SLX caliper  :mellow: