(Motor)bike commute conundrum

T_Boss

So I have a conundrum of a different regarding a different kind of bike.

I will from next month need to do a pretty regular commute from Hermanus, to the Airport, for a 10 day to 2 week stay in JHB, then return again.

One option is obviously to rent a car from Hermanus and drop it at the airport, an then do the same thing in reverse on my return. I have done this in the past and it works well enough, but the cost will add up doing this two or three times a month, and you still need to arrange a lift to and from the rental office in hermanus.

My thinking is to get a lekker commuter bike (650gs Dakar Or similar) that I will also use to to explore the back roads of the overberg when time allows, and then work out some kind of long term Parking solution near the airport.

So now the issues:

1. Valet parking services work well enough for cars. I have used long term valet parking at OR tambo in the past, and it was great, but I doubt such a service exists for bikes.

2. If the cost of pre-booked long term parking at the airport aren’t too bad, this could be an option, but how secure is it, since motorbike theft seems to be on the rise in a big way, and they are pretty easy things to steal.

3. I know there are storage places near the airport, but will need to investigate costs. Does anyone rent storage near the airport and what would a unit big enough to store a motorbike and maybe a box or two or toys go for?

So I have a conundrum of a different regarding a different kind of bike.

I will from next month need to do a pretty regular commute from Hermanus, to the Airport, for a 10 day to 2 week stay in JHB, then return again.

One option is obviously to rent a car from Hermanus and drop it at the airport, an then do the same thing in reverse on my return. I have done this in the past and it works well enough, but the cost will add up doing this two or three times a month, and you still need to arrange a lift to and from the rental office in hermanus.

My thinking is to get a lekker commuter bike (650gs Dakar Or similar) that I will also use to to explore the back roads of the overberg when time allows, and then work out some kind of long term Parking solution near the airport.

So now the issues:

1. Valet parking services work well enough for cars. I have used long term valet parking at OR tambo in the past, and it was great, but I doubt such a service exists for bikes.

2. If the cost of pre-booked long term parking at the airport aren’t too bad, this could be an option, but how secure is it, since motorbike theft seems to be on the rise in a big way, and they are pretty easy things to steal.

3. I know there are storage places near the airport, but will need to investigate costs. Does anyone rent storage near the airport and what would a unit big enough to store a motorbike and maybe a box or two or toys go for?

Call the airport to ask for parking rates and options

Call the airport to ask for parking rates and options

The parking rates aren’t the biggest issue, airport Parkin is pricy, but pre booked long term parking really isn’t that bad, my issue is more around the safety of parking a motorbike at the airport for 2 weeks at a time..... I’m not sure it will be there on my return......

If anyone has don’t this, with a bike, I would appreciate feedback

Would Uber not work out better for you?

Uber doesn’t work in the overberg..... so no, not really an option. If it did, 4 120km Uber trips to/from the airport would cost more than parking and an installment on a brand new GS1250......lol

Well, with the virus doing it’s best to kill the travel industry, this doesn’t seem to be a problem I will need to worry about, as I won’t have any work to commute to

Aside from the dangers of commuting itself I would buy a bike cover and alarm lock and leave it in the airport covered parking. Maybe call to check where and rates. I have read before that there are quite a few longer term bike parkers at airports in SA; pilots and the like.  Obviously ensure it is insured.

Maybe talk to John Carr at Donford Stellenbosch. Perhaps you could store it there and Uber from there to the airport...

Insurance then its fine.

Don't you do what most motorcyclists do at parking garages (around the boom)

GS is probably too big to fit around the boom

Well,

Just an update. Thanks to Corona, it doesn’t look like this is a problem I need to worry about anymore. More important problems now, like paying bills and feeding family