Will you still be traveling/riding

T_Boss

With the current fallout with the Corona virus, I am interested to know what the general consensus is amongst members in terms of local travel (small groups, family trips etc, not mass events) and still doing group rides etc.

Are you planning to keep yourself indoors, or will you still be riding?

Will you be undertaking local leisure/holiday trips?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.bicycling.co.za/health/how-you-can-ride-safely-amid-coronavirus-concerns/

Great article on it.

Basically:

• keep the groups small
  • DO NOT CYCLE IF YOU ARE FEELING SICK
  • Do not share drinks
  • Avoid touching things.

The article also says don't go to a gym. Remember, this is about "flattening the curve" and ensuring everyone around us is also safe so heed this advice.

I would like to go for a ride this weekend as I haven't got on the bike since the Argus. But waiting for the decision from my riding club.

Have been riding both road and trail and will still be riding but then I tend to ride on my own anyway.

Not enough riders around for it to be an issue.

BUT do NOT ride if you are "off " and that goes for the normal flu too.

Many riders try to ride through the flu saying it is one way of getting rid of it BUT you do an enormous amount of unseen damage to your heart just don't you are not being brave.

My sister has taken ill and is in Hospital so I was going down to see her.

They have suspended all visitors to the ICU and will expand to the general wards so will wait and see.

https://www.bicycling.co.za/health/how-you-can-ride-safely-amid-coronavirus-concerns/

Great article on it.

Basically:

• keep the groups small
  • DO NOT CYCLE IF YOU ARE FEELING SICK
  • Do not share drinks
  • Avoid touching things.

The article also says don't go to a gym. Remember, this is about "flattening the curve" and ensuring everyone around us is also safe so heed this advice.

I would like to go for a ride this weekend as I haven't got on the bike since the Argus. But waiting for the decision from my riding club.

Thanks great balanced article

I will continue riding with mates as normal .

Also taking the opportunity of getting my 13 year old son a bit fitter over the holidays - mountain biking a school sport and he hasn't been on his bike since July last year.

He loved all the snake trails into Vasbyt etc on the weekend and reckons that he wants to get up to the Blockhouse before the next term starts.

I will ride for as long as I feel healthy. I'll be keeping things solo and when the weather is bad I'll be on the indoor.

I can't imagine not cycling. In fact, the evening of Ramaphosa's announcement I was filled with anxiety. I'm newly married and my thoughts immediately went to my wife and how I would protect and provide for her. This feeling continued about up to the time I got on my bike again. My mind was clear, my body felt healthy and I felt more positive overall about the future.

So yeah, as long as you're smart about it I'd keep riding

We are/were headed down to Durban for the first week of April, now that the beaches have been closed I'm not so sure, will have to discuss with the wife and kids, possibly go up to the Kruger rather,.. As for the cycling I'll keep those peddles turning until all this passes,

Will still ride. I'm solo 99% of the time anyway.

What concerns me though is if they go full lockdown like spain etc. 

I've got a dumb indoor trainer, but I'll have to come up with very creative ways to make spending more than 30 minutes on it bearable.

With gym visits cancelled for the foreseeable future, I will definitely be riding - usually solo but sometimes with other/s.

No coffee stops though, which sucks but isn't unbearable.

And elbows bumps all round as the new method of greeting.

If we go full lockdown, all bets are off (as they say in the classics).