Commuting from Southern Suburbs to CBD

Nick_A

Hi all,

I’m moving to Rondebosch in the coming months and was planning on cycling into town for work as I’ll be based in the CBD/foreshore area.

The way I see it, I'll likely use the road/cycling path along Liesbeek Parkway then onto the cycle lane and into town most days, but would love to hop over the mountain some days via Rhodes Mem, then Vredehoek and into town.

Are there any groups who commute along this route? Ideally would prefer to ride with some others because, you know, safety.

Thanks in advance :)

Liesbeeck and then onto the cycle lane is the easiest. The Woodstock / salt river cycle lane is a special experience and requires wits about you particularly in peak hours. From there straight on or onto the cycle path at Lower Church street - it is a relatively safer stretch of that path than others have proven to be but I always ride it with a wary eye open.

Going the other way is a tougher ride, a bit hillier but easier in terms of traffic and criminals I think.

These qualifiers in place - it is very doable - I don't commute but both routes are part of my regular training rides.

Currently have a very short cycle from my home to work in Obs but needed to go drop something off in Woodstock awhile back and decided to give the main road back a try - absolute chaos dodging taxis, busses, pedestrians and random cars parked in the road  :blink:  definitely not ideal in peak traffic!

Thanks for the info Mamil  :thumbup:

Liesbeeck and then onto the cycle lane is the easiest. The Woodstock / salt river cycle lane is a special experience and requires wits about you particularly in peak hours. From there straight on or onto the cycle path at Lower Church street - it is a relatively safer stretch of that path than others have proven to be but I always ride it with a wary eye open.

Going the other way is a tougher ride, a bit hillier but easier in terms of traffic and criminals I think.

These qualifiers in place - it is very doable - I don't commute but both routes are part of my regular training rides.

Edited by Nick_A

Currently have a very short cycle from my home to work in Obs but needed to go drop something off in Woodstock awhile back and decided to give the main road back a try - absolute chaos dodging taxis, busses, pedestrians and random cars parked in the road  :blink:  definitely not ideal in peak traffic!

Thanks for the info Mamil  :thumbup:

in peak hours when riding a bike between obz and woodstock i use this route if you want to avoid the  most madness of Albert and/or Victoria road. i live in the area.

relatively safe....and some 'sightseeing' along the way.

post-64325-0-42034300-1584528396_thumb.jpg

Peak hour over the mountain via the route you mentioned is no issue at all...

The route is very busy with commuters and and (runners, cyclist, dog walkers), going both ways.

I do use the mountain in the AM and afternoons and almost always on my own.  

in peak hours when riding a bike between obz and woodstock i use this route if you want to avoid the  most madness of Albert and/or Victoria road. i live in the area.

relatively safe....and some 'sightseeing' along the way.

Nothing like being a tourist in your own city, I'll be sure to give those sightseeing spots a check ;)