Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

With most races , mass rides , group training and even friends and colleagues opting out of rides what are members doing about daily training on or off road ? Are you training indoors or are you training on your own ? Lets hear it .

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I train mostly alone, try to warn other users before passing them more than usual (so they don't spit at me thinking they are alone), but other than that business as usual. Planning on training with one friend on the weekend, we'll try not to kiss each other or shake hands, we should be fine. 

Be as cautious as possible, but I believe it's far less risky going outside on your bicycle not touching anything else than your bike than going groceries shopping...

I went out for a road ride today. Alone. Traffic was just fine, but then I have nothing to compare it to.

I’d stay away from rough rides that might put you at risk of a crash that would land you in hospital but getting out is great.

I suspect we have a tighter lockdown coming here though.

The issue is that if you fall off on your ride you may need medical help which isn't available.

One should always have medical alert app on your phone . I use Nam (https://www.namola.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvbB6Ian6AIVS8DeCh1tPAXYEAAYASAAEgL33_D_BwE ) which is great because it immediately gives co ordinates to the respondents  whether it be medical first responders or security companies 

Noone can pitch up at tour funeral unfortunately to enjoy your last party cos we all in quarantine!!!

I am business as usual too. Mostly ride alone but me mate Dave is on a work from home scenario so we ride most arvies. While I am being as careful as I can I still need to ride. I have let people know that if I die then my money is to be entirely spent at my funeral for the people who pitch up and enjoy it. I will not see my dad for a bit as he is high risk. But we chat every day. So far we chat so he is alive. Winner winner you know what's for dinner.

Still riding myself. I generally ride alone, so no worries from me now. Biggest risk to me in the last while was getting knocked by a car on the Melkbos cyclelane....Ja, you read that right. I am more worried about idjits in cars than getting Covid-19 while on a ride. I am keeping a beady eye on traffic and prepare to evade any cars, bikes, busses, truck or taxi I see, thus I ride ON the cycle path routes as far as I can.

I get the medical assistance bit, and one can also end up in a car accident because of another person's actions, so I won't let that deter me from riding. I just won't be riding with the intention to release snot rockets... a bad habit I have developed over the years. With MalutiD90 off, I may lean a bit more to the dirt trails out south (Jhb south).

Still riding myself. I generally ride alone, so no worries from me now. Biggest risk to me in the last while was getting knocked by a car on the Melkbos cyclelane....Ja, you read that right. I am more worried about idjits in cars than getting Covid-19 while on a ride. I am keeping a beady eye on traffic and prepare to evade any cars, bikes, busses, truck or taxi I see, thus I ride ON the cycle path routes as far as I can.

I ride there every day, from the newscafe to duynefontein... sometimes cars going in and out the residentials areas are a bit of a risk for us on the cyclepaths when we come flat out, take easy and stay safe ;)