Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a question, how are we going to get heard immunity with the lock-down? I thought 50 to 60% need to get infected first.

Or are we going to stay in lock-down until a vaccine is found. My thoughts are after 21 days the cycle can repeat itself if we go back to life as normal.

Or am I missing something.

Flattening the curve - it is presently spreading too fast as people are selfish and going about their daily business with no thought for others or social distancing. 

The lockdown is only a starting point, it will help slow down the rate of infections, but even then, a large number of people will still get infected. Our hospitals are already largely full, so there won't be enough ICU beds and equipment and look at the position Italy finds themselves in.

There is this incredible thing called online shopping... You don't have to run around like a blue arse for to get what you need before lockdown

[comic sans]

I went to look online this morning, all I found was a clean pair of underwear, nothing bike related on there. :)

[/comic sans]

The key words in my post were "specials" and "thursday"

Plenty places to buy online, but I want it cheap cheap and I want it before curfew

Some advice for the guys on spinning bikes or dumb trainers.

If you are going to be taking it indoors there's a youtube channel called HD Cycling. There are POV vids of some famous and not so famous routes so you can "ride" without losing your mind. This might be your gig maybe not.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrkr7CY38SKS-D-3aZclSQg

There's also GCN that has youtube workout videos.

I'm no fitness guru but my advice is as follows.

• If you are on a dumb trainer don't just get on it and zone out and spin aimlessly. Be present to get the most from the workout. If you zone out you're just sitting on a very uncomfortable sofa.
  • Make it a predetermined time. Like an hour. 10 minutes warm up. 45 minutes work. 5 minutes cool down
  • Try to work intervals using a HR monitor or your power meter if you have those.
  • If you don't you can do standing/sitting intervals. 30 seconds standing 1 minute sitting. That type of thing. 
  • You can also set up a music playlist with songs of varying beats/cadence
  • if you aren't measuring distance on your device/trainer then figure something like 30 calories is around 1km or an hour on the trainer is worth 30km on the road.

The most important thing when training indoors is NOT to just zone out and let your mind wander. Be completely present like you would in a race and DO THE WORK. You will get stronger and the little endorphin release will be a much needed high. It will also be a great distraction from what's going on right now.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I don't own an IDT so I'll be working on my push ups for 3 weeks. #hundredpushupchallenge

I tried to find one today. 3 bike shops basically laughed and said zero zero available.

Even the cycle studio (one of those you strap your own bike on to an IDT and links with power training on a big screen) up the road has already rented out all their IDT's for the 3 weeks.

[comic sans]

I went to look online this morning, all I found was a clean pair of underwear, nothing bike related on there. :)

[/comic sans]

The key words in my post were "specials" and "thursday"

Plenty places to buy online, but I want it cheap cheap and I want it before curfew

where does one get the ant+ to BLE adaptor though? called a NPE cable

Zwift now works with Ant+. You just need an Ant+ dongle and dont need to convert to BLE.

Usual week day is up at 4 and out the door 4.20am on the bike, the thought of doing this on the IDT so early is not on so I will have to adjust and see what time works. 

I don't own an IDT so I'll be working on my push ups for 3 weeks. #hundredpushupchallenge

My son was showing me all the different types of pushups yesterday. Regular, diamond, one handed, backward etc. He’s doing 100 of each each day at the moment. I don’t think I could do 1 diamond push-up