Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

From Friday at 00:01 yet to be determined. Hoping to be allowed out, but planning for no ability to go out to exercise. 

In the UK you're allowed to ride / run etc but only in a max group of 2. 

Thanks Myles - so it's still up in the air at the moment.

I know Boris has said his people can go out and exercise once a day, either alone or with someone from their household. Hopefully the same will apply to us.  

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I counted 100 people in the entire city this morning that would have been a lot. Most were construction workers. 

Edit: The only two people outside the Palace were two cops.

Blackfriars station:

90784069_1091148991235794_10435438488122

The Mall, this is usually full of cars.

90783051_1091149051235788_27175956999055

Hooooly cow. The only time I've seen The Mall so deserted is... well, never!

So after trawling through pages of posts we are no closer to working out whether we will be allowed out to exercise once a day?

Thanks Myles - so it's still up in the air at the moment.

I know Boris has said his people can go out and exercise once a day, either alone or with someone from their household. Hopefully the same will apply to us.  

From the wording of Cyril's announcement no we are not allowed to exercise

But also trawling continuously for a news update that might say something different

So after trawling through pages of posts we are no closer to working out whether we will be allowed out to exercise once a day?

The question was asked at today's news conference by a News24 journalist. He was told to direct his question to the Security Cluster at tomorrow's briefing. We'll find out tomorrow, hopefully.

Ok so seeing as we're all stuck inside training on whatever for the next few weeks let's have a little challenge.

Ride up Alp d'Huez/ Alp d'Zwift as fast as you can. The various training platforms will have a version of it. I know Rouvy does and I've seen about 6 million youtube vids on the Zwift version.

A respectable time up the Alp is under 75 minutes. I need to slash 25 minutes off of my time to be respectable. In my defense I was riding to a specific power.

No lying like Myles does about his weight and no E doping please.

Aaaaaaaaaaand GO!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Ok so seeing as we're all stuck inside training on whatever for the next few weeks let's have a little challenge.

Ride up Alp d'Huez/ Alp d'Zwift as fast as you can. The various training platforms will have a version of it. I know Rouvy does and I've seen about 6 million youtube vids on the Zwift version.

A respectable time up the Alp is under 75 minutes. I need to slash 25 minutes off of my time to be respectable.

Aaaaaaaaaaand GO!

BAHAHAHAHA! 

I haven't got a smart trainer, or rouvy / zwift etc but I'll still be on the trainer, Garmin will confirm. 

The question was asked at today's news conference by a News24 journalist. He was told to direct his question to the Security Cluster at tomorrow's briefing. We'll find out tomorrow, hopefully.

Thanks will await feedback.

There's a truck load of people who are running around trying to determine what all this menas. We sell and support data centre equipment and no one can confirm whether we can continue to operate.

A respectable time up the Alp is under 75 minutes. I need to slash 25 minutes off of my time to be respectable. In my defense I was riding to a specific power.

Aaaaaaaaaaand GO!

Can't we organise group rides on zwift?

One of us hosts a teamspeak server and we can log on and chat and ride.... I'm new to this indoor thing, I have no idea how it works.

I've ridden the Epic KOM a few times but I don't think I've unlocked the Alp....

have I missed something or is there no central south african specific website where one can go for the latest information regarding the virus locally and the local shutdown.

My question is if you're riding out and about, and are pulled over by police or the military, will they attempt to arrest you; issue a fine; or direct you back home? I think the rules need to be made more clear, as I was really excited about a lonely, long ride out to Haarties in complete peace

One of us hosts a teamspeak server and we can log on and chat and ride.... I'm new to this indoor thing, I have no idea how it works.

I've ridden the Epic KOM a few times but I don't think I've unlocked the Alp....

Guy, you got a spare IDT for me? :)

I just saw something pretty cool, NTT are letting employees join a twice weekly event on Zwift to do training rides with the NTT pro team.

Nice idea for people stuck inside and wanting to get some exercise.

You have to be on level 12 to ride alp du zwift.

I don't Zwift I Rouvy brah.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Wait for me - I gotta get to level 12 first. Getting dropped and riding in isolation - sounds like business as usual to me.

Aaaaaaaaaaand GO!

It is so interesting to me how negotiating the rules seems a frequent response in this situation. Maybe it's human nature to make a tacit deal with the world that says if I follow the rules I'll be ok or for some of us to think that if we can push the limit of the rules we gain some advantage over life or others. 

There is a deadly contagion in the world - the rules are for public health and the survival of the society's infrastructure. We have a legal and moral obligation to follow them in letter and spirit. 

Individual survival is another matter altogether and relies on individual capacity to control and regulate exposure to the pathogen in the world and to limit access of the pathogen to one's individual space. Going riding may or may not be legal. If it is, I for one, will not be doing it until further notice.