Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

We just had an address from our PM in Ireland in which he stated we can still take physical exercise, and did make reference to maintaining good mental health.

N.B. - This is for IRELAND, not SA. Adhere to local restrictions.

Edited by The Ghost

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work for a company listed as an essential. Will take the car in on Friday. But might commute on Monday depending on Fridays outcome. I hope i get stopped Friday and will ask the personal if I can commute on my bicycle instead of my(wife's) car

We just had an address from our PM in Ireland in which he stated we can still take physical exercise, and did make reference to maintaining good mental health.

N.B. - This is for IRELAND, not SA. Adhere to local restrictions.

Our family gave the Irish public a 60% mark for adhering to the initial restricted movement policy. I hope this speech and the additional enforcements will bring it up to a 70 or 80.

I'm just back from a run and came across a family walking and a single lady walking. Realistically where we are we can go ahead and continue our health lifestyle as per normal and still not come across anyone. The only thing we have changed is that we are not running in groups and running solo.

Our family gave the Irish public a 60% mark for adhering to the initial restricted movement policy. I hope this speech and the additional enforcements will bring it up to a 70 or 80.

I'm just back from a run and came across a family walking and a single lady walking. Realistically where we are we can go ahead and continue our health lifestyle as per normal and still not come across anyone. The only thing we have changed is that we are not running in groups and running solo.

Yeah I think for the most part people have been pretty good, and they said they were happy with how things are progressing. It’s just the busy and popular areas that now have too many people in them all going to exercise at the same place coincidentally.

I gather this is to stop those gatherings at places like Glendalough and Phoenix park etc.

Yeah I think for the most part people have been pretty good, and they said they were happy with how things are progressing. It’s just the busy and popular areas that now have too many people in them all going to exercise at the same place coincidentally.

I gather this is to stop those gatherings at places like Glendalough and Phoenix park etc.

Yup... The beaches by us were packed apparently Sunday afternoon because the sun was shining... But this is what it was like in the morning when we took our dogs for a walk. People just need to be sensible and if they want to go to places where others might be.. think of a less popular beach/park etc and less popular time

4fc33830bcb20ddbcbf6940719e08477.jpg

Edited by Stretch

You have to be on level 12 to ride alp du zwift.

I don't Zwift I Rouvy brah.

I don't even know what that is!

I have built a balance board that goes on the slam ball so I can pretend I'm getting barreled between leveling up to unlock the Alp!

now you're being obtuse. Stay home means stay within the boundaries of your property. Simple, ne?

I thought it meant stay in the room where you found yourself at midnight.

My question is if you're riding out and about, and are pulled over by police or the military, will they attempt to arrest you; issue a fine; or direct you back home? I think the rules need to be made more clear, as I was really excited about a lonely, long ride out to Haarties in complete peace

Rumour has it Sjamboks are being issued to the Police

No man, let's be lekker and play by the rules. You won't die from not cycling for the next 3 weeks.

GeeeezzZZZ, have you tried that..?

its horrible!

But I totally agree with you...

GeeeezzZZZ, have you tried that..?

its horrible!

But I totally agree with you...

If I look at my Strava I can't find a gap of more than 4 days without a ride outside for a veeery long time - it's gonna be rough! At least I have a view of Helderberg from my front stoep where I can sit on the trainer, and visualise being on the mountain :)

There is nobody near my house or property and if there is someone he is trespassing. I also have to check on water and valves so I have to move around. And, here is the problem, we are still busy harvesting so the farmworkers and I will have contact on a daily basis. When I go to train they are long gone. Next problem we have is crime, riding my bike around the farm is also a way to better security.

Same here. Harvesting done and our farm workers are taking their 3 weeks annual leave from Friday.

Nobody is working.

Crime is also big problem here so being seen around the farm is always a good thing.

I still need to check on irrigation, pumps, sheds, implements and just some general security. We will be 2 managers and the owner moving on the farm during the lockdown period. On 2000ha we will still be further apart than most people on their IDT at home.

Agriculture is business as usual, so if we carried on we would've had people cycling to work at different places all over the farm.

We also have a 1000ha game Camp where nobody is allowed in where I'm definitely going to spend some time.

Nobody in a 2km radius of me.

PS. I'm not bending any rules to suit me and I'm not above the law.

We have less people living in our town than some complexes in CPT.

So standing on your stoep puts you at greater risk than me moving around on 2000ha.

We have a number of farmers as clients. Their reaction to Covid have been BETTER than our corporate clients !

Corporates pushing the bottom line ...

Farmers clamped down on access to farms more than a week ago. Frankly their self imposed social distancing is a good example to follow.

Having a larger "yard" is just a small benefit of their occupation ....