Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

The police, military and law enforcement will have their hands full in the townships, they really don't need self entitled rich people trying to bend rules so that they can exercise.

And as someone who has to go out to work, I'm really scared of bringing the virus home to my immune compromised 1year old.

I can see them making examples of some windgat wit mense (sorry, I can't find the English for that) in the first couple of days, and I will probably not have any sympathy for them.

My brother is starting to work in Mitchell's Plain hospital on Thursday, he will be self isolating himself at home, using the one room with an bathroom and outside door, locking the inside door, and locking his wife out. She is also immune compromised.

People are moaning about not being able to ride, while health care workers are already isolating themselves from their families.

Think about that....

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The police, military and law enforcement will have their hands full in the townships, they really don't need self entitled rich people trying to bend rules so that they can exercise.

And as someone who has to go out to work, I'm really scared of bringing the virus home to my immune compromised 1year old.

I can see them making examples of some windgat wit mense (sorry, I can't find the English for that) in the first couple of days, and I will probably not have any sympathy for them.

My brother is starting to work in Mitchell's Plain hospital on Thursday, he will be self isolating himself at home, using the one room with an bathroom and outside door, locking the inside door, and locking his wife out. She is also immune compromised.

People are moaning about not being able to ride, while health care workers are already isolating themselves from their families.

Think about that....

Our neighbour works for PathCare.  When she gets home everybody, including the 8 year old son, has to stay away.  She washes, fresh clothes, and only then can she greet her family.

There are so many people out there facing this thing head on, putting their own lives and that of their families on the line ....

the least the rest of us can do is to co-operate.....

I see even Mr British priminister has reversed his original decision allowing the public to exercise outside for a hour/day.

Same applies here, no leaving your property unless you have to - just obey the rules!

I see even Mr British priminister has reversed his original decision allowing the public to exercise outside for a hour/day.

Same applies here, no leaving your property unless you have to - just obey the rules!

Just a question, how are we going to get heard immunity with the lock-down? I thought 50 to 60% need to get infected first.

Or are we going to stay in lock-down until a vaccine is found. My thoughts are after 21 days the cycle can repeat itself if we go back to life as normal.

Or am I missing something.

The thing is you don't get herd immunity from an epidemic (e.g. polio, measels, mumps, etc.) - rather you get herd immunity from a vaccination program when you have well over 90% of the population being vaccinated. That way when an infected person shows up there is no one else around to get infected - the herd is immune.

The herd immunity thing was rapidly walked back by team BoJo a few hours after they floated the idea. Someone pointed out that letting people get infected in an uncontrolled fashion results in a lot of deaths, probably year after year, and you only ever get to 50%-60% immunity which is not the critical mass you're looking for. The technical term for this is 'unmitigated c_k up'.

There are also plenty examples of viruses without vaccines - so this is by no means guaranteed at any time frame (e.g. self-driving cars, which have been frequently predicted as imminent). Where is the vaccine for malaria, riketsia, lyme's, the common cold, etc. The most probably outcome is that some drug treatment will prove effective and once that can be rolled out we can return to some version of normal.

Edited by 100Tours

Me and my laaities are gonna race around the yard, 29 inch, vs 20 inch vs balance bike. The yard is the great equalizer, the acceleration and agility of the balance bike and 20 inch level the playing field somewhat.

Same here. Harvesting done and our farm workers are taking their 3 weeks annual leave from Friday.

Nobody is working.

Crime is also big problem here so being seen around the farm is always a good thing.

I still need to check on irrigation, pumps, sheds, implements and just some general security. We will be 2 managers and the owner moving on the farm during the lockdown period. On 2000ha we will still be further apart than most people on their IDT at home.

Agriculture is business as usual, so if we carried on we would've had people cycling to work at different places all over the farm.

We also have a 1000ha game Camp where nobody is allowed in where I'm definitely going to spend some time.

Nobody in a 2km radius of me.

I see your 2 000ha and I raise you 30 000ha  :clap:

Game reserve I live on is also closed down, and all non essential staff like general assistants are going home today. Only reserve management and field rangers left. FR's are stationed in remote camps, so absolutely no chance of coming across ANYONE. I have to keep on working unfortunately (at home or office, makes no difference), but will definitely be riding after work and on weekends

Just spoke to AgriSa

Agricultural activities to proceed as normal.

According to AgriSa

I can move freely within the borders of the farm as I wish.

The fact that all workers will be on leave is a bonus so if I feel like, fishing, cycling or waterskiing with my family on the farm I can do as I please.

AgriSa 021 860 8300

Edited by Boerklong

The herd immunity thing was rapidly walked back by team BoJo a few hours after they floated the idea. Someone pointed out that letting people get infected in an uncontrolled fashion results in a lot of deaths, probably year after year, and you only ever get to 50%-60% immunity which is not the critical mass you're looking for. The technical term for this is 'unmitigated c_k up'.

No bojo fan but afaik he was advised by scientists on this, few other countries also initially tried the herd immunity approach as an option. I think most people fairly quickly realised this is not a great idea (some hubbers & Trump excluded)

Our neighbour works for PathCare.  When she gets home everybody, including the 8 year old son, has to stay away.  She washes, fresh clothes, and only then can she greet her family.

There are so many people out there facing this thing head on, putting their own lives and that of their families on the line ....

the least the rest of us can do is to co-operate.....

Surely that is not enough?

As far as I understand thing, if she is a carrier none of the cleaning will prevent her from infecting the rest of the crew. 

Just spoke to AgriSa

Agricultural activities to proceed as normal.

According to AgriSa

I can move freely within the borders of the farm as I wish.

The fact that all workers will be on leave is a bonus so if I feel like, fishing, cycling or waterskiing with my family on the farm I can do as I please.

AgriSa 021 860 8300

Same with Conservation/Anti poaching

Same with Conservation/Anti poaching

Good.

Theres going to be a lot of desperate (and some not so) people taking chances during this lockdown. I'd expect a lot of shuttered businesses to be looted. 

Good.

Theres going to be a lot of desperate (and some not so) people taking chances during this lockdown. I'd expect a lot of shuttered businesses to be looted. 

If conservation shut down, it would be the same as shops closing but leaving all the doors open. Don't expect anything to be left when you get back in 3 weeks time! 

Q: What can and can't we do during lockdown?

Mkhize: Taking dog for walk, going to the shops to buy food and essentials should be fine. We want to avoid people congregating in large numbers, as well as panic buying. We ask people to exercise restraint, even with people in your own house.