Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

The lockdown is designed to prevent large groups of people gathering. Stick to that basic principal for the next three weeks and we'll be fine.

Sorry but you clearly weren't paying attention when Cyril spoke on Monday  :ph34r:

Edited by Skubarra

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe these pictures will make it easier to understand for those who can't comprehend the need to have an actual lockdown:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/22/world/coronavirus-spread.html?smid=nytcore-ios-shares&fbclid=IwAR09pNdrUoTGP7egDBjnlyrPBjbhagZOubE9-cgVg4VuUQul3bAoK2sK1Wc

Sorry for rant, I do understand the seriousness of the situation. I have been in self isolation for 3 weeks already out of my own choice. Lets wait for confirmation on the exercise outside thing. I agree with the minister that if done responsibly it should not be a problem to exercise outside. Those of you who rather want to ride on your trainers in your house, go do that. I will be riding alone outside.

The mental health issues if being confined to indoors will probably give rise to bigger issues than just COVID-19.

Ag please. When I broke my hip last year I was confined to a bed for 2 weeks and home for 6 weeks, it's not that bad. People will be fine. 

jassis, some of you okes seem to have your panties in a knot already. cabin fever already setting in a couple of days before lock-down. I fear for the peoples lives residing with some of you hubbers. I think domestic violence is going to escalate.

They say, times like these, the bigger threat to human lives are people turning onto people rather than the virus itself. This thread has really proven that. 

I will follow lock-down rules, so if we are allowed to walk the dog, jog I will do just that in a responsible way.

What I really want to know, are we allowed to cycle?  :ph34r:

Ag please. When I broke my hip last year I was confined to a bed for 2 weeks and home for 6 weeks, it's not that bad. People will be fine. 

Totally agree. I did 3 months in a bed attached to a drip with all mental faculties still intact. 

Are you going to be jogging next to your bike?

Because he said jogging and walking the dog. He didn't say anything about cycling, fishing, paragliding, soccer, golf, Motocross etc etc etc.

No, because obviously walking the dog or going for a jog means cycling too...obviously.

If you livei n a flat and have a dog what the hell are you meant to do?  Throw the kuk out the window?

Thank Goodness we can go out for a walk ...alone.  That small walk will is essential to dealing with being locked up for 3 weeks.

#ZweliMkhize has clarified the issue of people jogging or walking dogs during the #SouthAfricaLockdown. It is prefered you stay home, but...(1)

Replying to

(2)...if you must exercise, jogging must be done over short distances and individually (not in groups). There should also be no interaction with other joggers/walkers.

Edited by shaper

But the beaches are closed???

real surfers don't surf from a beach. They surf reefs and those are hard to access. The greater risk is getting moered into a rock and drowning but then the gene pool is probably thankful

Same there are joggers and then there are runners

Anyways, sense has prevailed, no use debating this, we can exercise outside as long as we are responsible in terms of contact with others.

I would not be so sure of myself.

I saw the minister of health's comment and he said "it should not be a problem" but it is not his decision and Twitter or a press conference is not the vehicle to distribute policy.

I will wait for the official government proclamation.

Please explain to me how taking away my right to be alone outside is a problem? 

This is not about you. It is about the greater good. Besides which, no right is unfettered or absolute and can always be limited and you are welcome to be alone outside, within the confines of your home.

It is solipsism like this that has changed my mind and I now believe that, as much as I had hoped that I could ride my bike, there are too many people who think like you and will act solely in their personal interest if there is any grey area in the regulations.

#ZweliMkhize has clarified the issue of people jogging or walking dogs during the #SouthAfricaLockdown. It is prefered you stay home, but...(1)

Replying to

(2)...if you must exercise, jogging must be done over short distances and individually (not in groups). There should also be no interaction with other joggers/walkers.

if they engage a more braincells, they might just arrive at the conclusion that that sort of approach relies too much on individual common sense, and as is evident in this thread and on twitter alone, the conviction stemming from desire overrides the sacrifice necessary from everyone. Exceptions should be rare.

I am not a runner. At all.

So, I feel no comfort in being able to go for a quick jog on my own.

For everyone who wants to carry on cycling (including me) - just be aware that if you hug a tree or roll over a car's bonnet (like I did yesterday) - go home and self medicate.

Do not go to any hospital - this was the message from the driver of said car's bonnet. She is a nurse @ Groote Schuur.

As already mentioned here, the issue is around how incredibly selfish people are - they will go out and run, but will end up having coffee afterwards with their friends (everyone is in lockdown, so why does it matter?)

The number of people that I see on Strava who are still riding and running in big groups, followed by coffee, astounds me - am I the only one who heard how strict the measures are? Social distancing and and not training in groups should have been something which everyone implemented over a week ago already...

People cannot even stick to the basic rules, such as social distancing - this lockdown is going to go from 3 weeks to 3 months because of it...

Health minister Zweli Mkhize, has told SABC News that people will be able to walk their dog, and go for a jog during a three-week lockdown enforced by president Cyril Ramaphosa.

The terms around such activities however, have not yet been published.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/384585/yes-you-can-walk-your-dog-and-go-for-a-jog-during-lockdown-minister/

I will wait for official go ahead but It would suit my dogs, I have a long standing  agreement with the principal of local school that i can exercise my dogs there, Zero interaction with anyone, I sit on the grandstand while they run around sniffing.