Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

You do realise that the hours between 6am and 9am are when the UV light levels are lowes this time of the year so the sunlight neutralising effect on the virus is going to be minimal.

So once again we're praising the government (who did not appear to consider the PPA submission) for a very small mercy. Sun rise over False bay on Friday will 07h22. UV will only peak at 13h00.

You'll get 90min dose of very weak UV radiation.

see y'all on the road Friday morning lights and full winter kit for zero UV corona neutralising exercise

The presence or absence of UV light was probably not a consideration in the decision......most likely it was just about allowing some exercise under strict conditions.....otherwise surely there would have been a Level 5 requirement to be outside at 13h00 to get "cured"......?

Ahhhh, dammit this belongs in that other thread....

Friday we ride cause now we can......

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If only practical was as easy as theoretical...…

Theoretical you could cycle 5km away from your house, then do a circle still adhering to the 5km radius and then once you get to the start of the circle you cycle back home. By then you would have done a nice 41.42km ride. 

2πr = 2π(5) = 6.28318 * 5 = 31.4159. Plus the 5km out and back is an added 10 km giving you 41.42km

Edited by Jaco Steyn

If only practical was as easy as

theoretical...…

Theoretical you could cycle 5km away from your house, then do a circle still adhering to the 5km radius and then once you get to the start of the circle you cycle back home. By then you would have done a nice 41.42km ride.

2πr = 2π(5) = 6.28318 * 5 = 31.4159. Plus the 5km out and back is an added 10 km giving you 41.42km

Or just don't overcomplicate it and ride zig zags in the streets in your 5km radius and clock up way more than just 41.

That is if course if you live in a residential/city environment. Small towns won't have that luxury.

Edited by PhilipV

Fascinating and actually terrifying come Friday morning!

Also, I note others have asked if masks are required whilst out exercising?

I guess the answer lies in understanding whether your run, cycle or walk within a 5km radius is a "public place" or not? I think the emphasis will be on "place", which could be interpreted as not being "space".

From the regulations ...

5. (1) A person must wear a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth when in a public place, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.

(2) no person will be allowed to use any form of public transport, or enter a building, place or premises, if they do not wear a cloth face mask or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth when in a public place, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.

(3) An employer must provide every employee who may come into direct contact with members of the public as part of their duties with a cloth face mask to cover his or her nose and mouth or a homemade item that covers the nose and mouth when in a public place, or another appropriate item to cover the nose and mouth.  

You do realise that the hours between 6am and 9am are when the UV light levels are lowes this time of the year so the sunlight neutralising effect on the virus is going to be minimal.

So once again we're praising the government (who did not appear to consider the PPA submission) for a very small mercy. Sun rise over False bay on Friday will 07h22. UV will only peak at 13h00.

You'll get 90min dose of very weak UV radiation.

see y'all on the road Friday morning lights and full winter kit for zero UV corona neutralising exercise

not to mention...for the most part it will mean everybody will most likely be out and about in a 1 hour timeframe (8-9?) instead of 3. the average person is probably not going to want to walk the dog or jog on their own in the pitch black. i told my wife last night we will be going out in the dark...but need to be sober about the fact that there are 'hungry people' out there....

edit:  still looks like 10pm outside

ALSO: careful lol :whistling:

post-64325-0-66358500-1588222497_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Hang on. I missed D-Z's speech last night but was aware of the <5km. But I just watched a snippet of her on morning TV...she said 'about 5km'. This minister loves to read off-script! Let's see what's gazetted...

Hang on. I missed D-Z's speech last night but was aware of the <5km. But I just watched a snippet of her on morning TV...she said 'about 5km'. This minister loves to read off-script! Let's see what's gazetted...

going by how they handled 'cigarettegate'....they might just change their mind still haha 

I have had problems with my Garmin for ages

it over reads my distance by at least 1.5

i was going to get it fixed 

better to wait till after lockdown

Living in Tamboerskloof, this 5km radius opens up a lot of options! Feeling grateful.

Can do the loop around Greenpoint, Seapoint, Camps Bay and up over kloof nek, signal hill, tafelberg road, and I'm sure some MTB on table mountain as well.

For those of us too lazy to click and scroll down:

"On the basis of these results the scientist advises that for walking the distance of people moving in the same direction in 1 line should be at least 4–5 meter, for running and slow biking it should be 10 meters and for hard biking at least 20 meters. "

So just strap on those aero-bars and imagine you are doing a TT... no slipstreaming... move into your own lane once you get too close.

Anybody have a link to the gazzetted version ?

Need to check what works will be allowed ....