Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any studies that show the effectiveness of masks in limiting the spread of the virus outside of hospitals or other medical care facilities?

There are a few, will see if I can dig one or two up for you.

The general consensus is that they stop most of the particles from becoming airborne in the first place, which means they're not there for others to breathe in. Which means they more people wear them, the more effective they are. Hence the regulations.

That 2 million mile distance while exercising study has been debunked based on their testing protocol and underlying assumptions being seriously flawed.

Standard TT rules work for me. 

If you're out of the draft you'll be well clear unless someone actively snot rockets on you. And I reckon he'd have more immediate problems than a virus if that happened.

If you ride on your own and practise physical distancing when riding (passing others etc) it's really not an issue. The coronachan is not magical, it can't leap tall buildings in a single step and whatnot.

Sure, if it only transmits through large droplets while coughing and sneezing, then that approach is fine to keep yourself safe.

However, the jury is still out on whether it is airborne or not. (see the link)

Given that allot of people are contagious before showing symptoms, or maybe never showing symptoms: is it too much to ask you to wear a mask while you are out-and-about?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00974-w

The evidence so far

Evidence from preliminary studies and field reports that SARS-CoV-2 is spreading in aerosols is mixed. At the height of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China, virologist Ke Lan at Wuhan University collected samples of aerosols in and around hospitals treating people with COVID-19, as well as at the busy entrances of two department stores.

In an unreviewed preprint1, Lan and his colleagues report finding viral RNA from SARS-CoV-2 in a number of locations, including the department stores.

The study doesn’t ascertain whether the aerosols collected were able to infect cells. But, in an e-mail to Nature, Lan says the work demonstrates that “during breathing or talking, SARS-CoV-2 aerosol transmission might occur and impact people both near and far from the source”. As a precaution, the general public should avoid crowds, he writes, and should also wear masks, “to reduce the risk of airborne virus exposure”.

Another study failed to find evidence of SARS-CoV-2 in air samples in isolation rooms at an outbreak centre dedicated to treating people with COVID-19 in Singapore. Surface samples from an air outlet fan did return a positive result2, but two of the authors — Kalisvar Marimuthu and Oon Tek Ng at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases in Singapore — told Nature in an e-mail that the outlet was close enough to a person with COVID-19 that it could have been contaminated by respiratory droplets from a cough or sneeze

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

The half-lives of SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV-1 were similar in aerosols, with median estimates of approximately 1.1 to 1.2 hours and 95% credible intervals of 0.64 to 2.64 for SARS-CoV-2 and 0.78 to 2.43 for SARS-CoV-1 (Figure 1C, and Table S1 in the Supplementary Appendix)

is it too much to ask you to wear a mask while you are out-and-about?

Your study says avoid crowds and should wear mask.

I'll meet you halfway and avoid the crowds on my bicycle and wear a mask if I'm near anyone. 

Your study says avoid crowds and should wear mask.

I'll meet you halfway and avoid the crowds on my bicycle and wear a mask if I'm near anyone. 

Cool if that is your take-away.

You be you :thumbup:

After going for a walk with the dogs today on the green belts near Groot Constatntia and seeing the staggering amount of people hugging and puffing on bikes and jogging without masks I think I'm going to take a new angle. I'm joining the non mask wearers and I'm going to actively cough as i pass no wearers and see what reaction I get. 

Honestly there are so many people who are running, jogging and riding bloody hard with masks on I fail to see the issue of actually having on one especially if you're cruising along on an Ebike on flat land! Not wearing one is just saying you really don't give a sh*t about anyone else around you. 

Conversely, is it that hard to just wear a buff and not give the Karen’s something to Karen about?

We can’t moan at people for moaning at us because we are not doing what we should?

The Karen quip brings a smile to the face (which you won't be able to see right now cause of my mask).  

Edit:...and the internet and your location...

Edited by Ed-Zulu

After going for a walk with the dogs today on the green belts near Groot Constatntia and seeing the staggering amount of people hugging and puffing on bikes and jogging without masks I think I'm going to take a new angle. I'm joining the non mask wearers and I'm going to actively cough as i pass no wearers and see what reaction I get. 

Honestly there are so many people who are running, jogging and riding bloody hard with masks on I fail to see the issue of actually having on one especially if you're cruising along on an Ebike on flat land! Not wearing one is just saying you really don't give a sh*t about anyone else around you. 

Did you really think that in good ol' RSA anybody is giving a sh*t about anyone else around them anyway?

Did you really think that in good ol' RSA anybody is giving a sh*t about anyone else around them anyway?

I was holding on to some sense of 'togetherness' and consideration in these times but I guess not. Sadly walking and drinking your coffee with your 4 mates trumps the need to follow protocols. 

The funny thing about that area is if you're on a bike you can't ride at all fast because it's so busy. You're better off hitting the tarmac, less people by far. 

This has not been peer reviewed, but nevertheless it might give an idea of the risk associated to be outside?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

From the PDF

The first salient feature of the 318 identified outbreaks that involved  three or more cases is that they all occurred in indoor environments. Although this finding was expected, its significance has not been well recognised by the community and by policy makers. Indoors is where our lives and work are in modern civilisation

The transmission of respiratory infections such as SARS-CoV-2  from the infected to the susceptible is an indoor phenomenon.
Our study does not rule out outdoor transmission​ of the virus​ . However, among our 7​ 324​  identified cases in China with sufficient descriptions​ , only one outdoor outbreak involving​ two cases​ occurred in a village in Shangqiu, Henan. A 27-year-old man​ had a conversation​ outdoors with​ an individual who had returned from Wuhan on 25 January and had the onset​ of symptoms on 1​ February.

2020.04.04.20053058.full.pdf

Edited by Pieter-za