Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Went out for my first post-lockdown run this morning at 6h00, only 5km, with a buff.

Two observations:

-Running with a buff isn't ideal, but really not that much of a problem if you just focus on the breathing technique.

-Metro Cop on a motorbike drove past me in our street. Gave me a friendly wave. Never seen them in our suburb before, wonder if they were asked to just do some friendly visible policing in the early mornings.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk of paddle ski's brings back memories - I had a long blue of no ancestry before I bought on of (John?) McCleod's hollow ski's. This is after surfing and body boarding I stuck with a paddle ski for ages; the watchmaker with crippled legs (as I remember) was a quite star in Durban. Took some big hits in cyclone surf in Durbs and Msikaba etc. Most impressive thing I saw was Tony Scott powering through huge surf in a long ski on a day where only 3 or 4 really strong surfers could even get out near the mound. The days when Graham Hines (Safari?) was at the beach every morning, Baron Stander had a surf report and the one rander fed you for R1.

The best surfer I ever shared the water with at Vic Bay back in the days was Leonard Giles. Nobody could really touch him on those right- handers and I think he won the SA champs when it was held there for the first time.

Leonard Giles was the head of the Vic Bay mafia, NOBODY sat above him on the point...when he hit the lip of that wave backside, the tide went out!

Leonard Giles was the head of the Vic Bay mafia, NOBODY sat above him on the point...when he hit the lip of that wave backside, the tide went out!

I've surfed Vic about a million times and been dissapointed every time. The worlds only Right Hand Point but a left. Such an overrated fat blob of a wave.

The best surfer I ever shared the water with at Vic Bay back in the days was  Leonard Giles.  Nobody could really touch him on those right- handers and I think he won the SA champs when it was held there for the first time.

You also never tried to paddle inside of him at the point. It was just not the done thing. He took the waves he wanted period. Also a bit difficult to argue with him.

A few special wankers out in Fourways area this am - passed 2 pretty large bunches - it's tjops like these that will get this exercise time taken away.

Perhaps if we all make a point of hurling abuse at them they will get the message or do you think the sense of entitlement runs so deep it wont make a difference?

the sense of entitlement runs so deep it wont make a difference?

That one.

A couple of days ago a muppet comes riding the wrong way down a slipway and I'm riding along, and avoid a head-on collision whilst avoiding the truck from behind, and all I do is shake my head and he starts swearing at me. Even worse the moron was on a mtb and could probably not have been on the road anyway.

I saw more covidiots riding in groups this morning around the northern 'burbs of Cape Town. 

The rules are dumb, but please don't be so blatant about your disregard for them. We'll all be painted with the same brush for the actions of few

No harm in riding solo for a few weeks 

Our running club were actually advising against running with mask due to the dangers of rebreathing CO2 while exercising. Dont know the merits of this claim, and Im not going into it. Im running with my buff, as Ive been doing every winter.

I ride on  residential roads with many runners , cyclists , families and dog walkers using the same routes . I saw a group of people ( wrong ) on a corner and suddenly their dog a doberman not on a leash rushes towards me . I braked hard to stop but it kept coming at me . The owner first shouts out "sorry i didn't see coming " and only then calls the dog which did no really listen because he stayed in the road growling at me . I shouted at the owner that he should have the dog on a leash . I see a lot of dog walkers without leashes on their dogs . This is going to end badly for someone and in the end the dog is destroyed because it attacked a human . Wrong ,fine the **** out of the owner  so he remembers what his indiscretion  cost him every time he walks his dog . 

You also never tried to paddle inside of him at the point. It was just not the done thing. He took the waves he wanted period. Also a bit difficult to argue with him.

Yip, ...he enforced social distancing in a different way and was not called "muscles" for nothing :)  Was in particular not fond of us non locals. 

Also went through paddle ski phase.Had Macski's and then I got an Aussie ski that I cannot remember the name for the life of me.

The Hoek was great but we rarely ventured far from Scarborough where we had a beach house

Was it a Dekka or Wavemaster by any chance?

I still have a Dekka I bought off Darin Cairns in 2002. Hasn't fallen apart yet. My intermediate rail custom Macski is still hanging in the garage too,

It is everywhere. The Cape specialty at the moment seems to be no lights. Runner and cyclists alike. Not sure if spraying them with cold water will help. Think I will try that tomorrow.

That will most likely get you bliksemmed. People are edgy right now. Pressing their buttons will end badly for you.

Rather just enjoy your time outdoors and don't worry about what other people are doing. 

Was it a Dekka or Wavemaster by any chance?

I still have a Dekka I bought off Darin Cairns in 2002. Hasn't fallen apart yet. My intermediate rail custom Macski is still hanging in the garage too,

Nope, neither

I will have a look at pics and see if I can find it

Moved back to a long board after that.