Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it's pretty miff that after 30 years Liverpool were cruising to their 1st league win and boom!

The rest I couldn't really care about, but that is just cruel!

True that.

And despite what Rogers&Hammerstein wrote, Bheki Cele is making us all walk alone.....

I just think it's pretty miff that after 30 years Liverpool were cruising to their 1st league win and boom!

The rest I couldn't really care about, but that is just cruel!

It would be cruel agreed, but as a football nut ( hooligan ) that shouts at the tv and throws tantrums way to often . I actually would not give ff and would have a good laugh at mates who support them????..... at least they will never walk alone ????????

Couldn't find any matching socks though?

Or is that how roadies roll? :devil:

Getting dressed in the dark for an early morning start. :)

That said, mixed socks were fashionable for a while and sold as such ... not sure if it's still a thing.

I in fact have some which I've not used ... a pair of Assos nogal. :D

Many have posted about riding "far away from others", "pulling up the buff when you note others", "7 groups of two", etc ....

The hard reality is that the SA covid numbers are steadily increasing.  Certainly not the European exponential curve, but no doubt it is steadily increasing here.  Certainly so in the Western Cape.  Two weeks ago the Western district was the hotspot, now it is Tygerberg, with the informal areas quickly adding to the numbers !! ... https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/eight-more-covid-19-deaths-in-western-cape-47996877

I can confirm that the private hospitals in the Northern suburbs are significantly busier than a week ago !!

PLEASE forget about showing "the government" what a rebel you can be .... consider your neighbour and your family.  Do what YOU can to stop the spread.

Using rural behaviour as an excuse aint going to make any difference when you bring the virus back to your family.

really hope to see you all out on the road and on the trails sooner rather than later, for now ... PLEASE stay safe and healthy.

I won't get into a good old hub fight about this. Rather just agreee to disagree, I will keep cycling, I'll keep my buff around my neck and put it over my mouth and nose when I pass people. But I'm not gonna ride with a mask on the whole time. Wearing a mask while no one is around has zero impact other than making it impossible to breathe. Nothing about entitlement, nothing about being more important than anyone else.

Oh... and cycling is a right. We are privelaged to live in a country where it is a right.

I'm all for making sacrifice for the greater good in this time, but I am not gonna do things that have no impact or puspose such as wearing a mask in an open field where there is no one else in sight. Making a scarifice just for the sake of it is pointless.

And before you throw the ER/hospital argument my way, I am the last person that wants hospitals to be over run. I've got a pregnant wife working on the forntlines every day. I'm not going to be stupid about it and will take all precautions around other people.

Fair enough, you do you. I’m not saying in a field on you own is a dick move but understand that older people are scared to go to exercise because people can’t be bothered to make the effort how ever misguided they may think it is.

As for the throwing about ER part. There are a lot of people working hard. Your wife included. My brother in law included, unfortunately he died last week in the UK after returning to be an A&E doc at the start of the outbreak. Leaving a 8 week old boy and a 3 year old girl. Maybe my view is tainted by that and my actions really are ‘pointless’ and have no purpose.

And as for cycling being a right. Yeah of course. You’re right.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Fair enough, you do you. I’m not saying in a field on you own is a dick move but understand that older people are scared to go to exercise because people can’t be bothered to make the effort how ever misguided they may think it is.

As for the throwing about ER part. There are a lot of people working hard. Your wife included. My brother in law included, unfortunately he died last week in the UK after returning to be an A&E doc at the start of the outbreak. Leaving a 8 week old boy and a 3 year old girl. Maybe my view is tainted by that and my actions really are ‘pointless’ and have no purpose.

Our condolences to you and your family.

My sister and our neighbour are on the front line with this in the medical field, couple of friends as well.  One of my sister's staff has contracted it.  At least two of my neighbours staff has contracted it, they are now waiting for the test results from the contacts of the second case, so possibly more in their facility. 

And with a friend in his second week in ICU our view is also "tainted" right now ... this have been the longest 9 days for his family !!

Edited by ChrisF

That one.

A couple of days ago a muppet comes riding the wrong way down a slipway and I'm riding along, and avoid a head-on collision whilst avoiding the truck from behind, and all I do is shake my head and he starts swearing at me. Even worse the moron was on a mtb and could probably not have been on the road anyway.

Look what the virus dragged in! How you doing TNT1? Been a long time since you’ve posted here, welcome back!

Condolences man. Look after yourself.

Our condolences to you and your family.

My sister and our neighbour are on the front line with this in the medical field, couple of friends as well. One of my sister's staff has contracted it. At least two of my neighbours staff has contracted it, they are now waiting for the test results from the contacts of the second case, so possibly more in their facility.

And with a friend in his second week in ICU our view is also "tainted" right now ... this have been the longest 9 days for his family !!

Good luck Chris. We also have quite a few health care workers in the family. Very concerned for all of them going forward.

Highly likely that this thing will affect someone we know in the near future.

I'm sorry for your loss, that is truly terrible. Condolences and sterkte...

Back from my Sunday morning jaunt - 2 hours of feeling like a pinball bouncing around in a giant machine - the Roodebloem Raider or the Pinelands Pinner or the Newlands Nutter. 

One silver lining of the 5k limit is that, over delicious post ride coffee, I sit in front of what has become the Mamil command console in what I grandiosely refer to as study (kindle, Kickr, Audio GD DAC and Maverick Audio A1 Tube/hybrid amp and a pair of ancient Sony speakers - don't scoff they are magnificent) and plot out bits of my tangled weave of a route that define public segments that I now hold the KOM on because in some cases, I'm the only MOFO who's ridden them.

Ha!

And I'm not telling any of you other muppets where they are because some skinny little shrimp with an FTP 35 watts below mine will go steal them. 

Edit - F$3K ---  I just seen Strava dug up some oke called the Germanator's ride from 2015 who stole my KOM by 5 seconds on a a 7.30 minute effort. 

Edited by Mamil

I have to bow my head in shame and confess i just could bot get myself to go out and cycle this morning. It was just too cold, about 5 degrees. The predicted temperature for a bit later did not look much better. It was 9 degrees at 09:00.

In my defence, I just do not have proper cycling kit to cater for the colder weather. At best I can put on arm warmers and a t-shirt underneath my cycling top. But I only have "normal" open finger gloves. If only this damn virus wasn't so very contagious after 09:00, I could have gone out a bit later......... :whistling:

Icy cold wind out on the East today. Really sapped my energy so I cut the ride short as I was just not enjoying myself.

Was getting very irritated with the groups this morning though, not just 3 or 4 people but groups of 10 plus riding around.