Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coronavirus and cycling outdoors... My quarantine ends this Thursday and sorely looking forward to hit the trails (doc said I will be NO threat to anyone by then only to myself) but my lungs have other ideas... Im not even remotely close to any bucket that I can kick and had it lightly so very thankful. couple of positive cases at work, can only make one guess where I picked it up. My chest was toe soos n drankwinkel and still continues to randomly test my nerves when sitting wrong causes them to ziploc nice and tight. And I believed myself to be in great overall health. I said koebaai to my fitness as I believe my base will be ground zero after this. Not worth getting it, but worth doing anything and everything to avoid it. I still think cardio fitness and fresh air is vital to help prepare yourself for this, but - keep in mind it's not yet Friday - sensibility goes a long way.

Need a mtb and secure private trails then. I would ideally be spending the next 6 months in the wilderness in my caravan riding gravel roads near nobody and home schooling my kids.

With work from home looking to continue post covid lockdowns we are looking to moving to a farm for similar reasons. No need to be near tar or a city.

With work from home looking to continue post covid lockdowns we are looking to moving to a farm for similar reasons. No need to be near tar or a city.

Suddenly the idea to unload one of our spots and buy in Elands Bay doesn't seem like such a bad idea.....

This thought has also crossed my mind recently...

Unfortunately the Data connectivity at the couple of options I have is just nowhere near workable for Skype/Zoom sessions. 

Farm safety is also an obvious concern if you don't have all the security features in place already.

Unfortunately the Data connectivity at the couple of options I have is just nowhere near workable for Skype/Zoom sessions. 

Farm safety is also an obvious concern if you don't have all the security features in place already.

Yeah the connectivity at our site in Wilderness struggles with 3G so working their is painful, which is great when go on holiday. Not if you need to do some work. 

Coronavirus and cycling outdoors... My quarantine ends this Thursday and sorely looking forward to hit the trails (doc said I will be NO threat to anyone by then only to myself) but my lungs have other ideas... Im not even remotely close to any bucket that I can kick and had it lightly so very thankful. couple of positive cases at work, can only make one guess where I picked it up. My chest was toe soos n drankwinkel and still continues to randomly test my nerves when sitting wrong causes them to ziploc nice and tight. And I believed myself to be in great overall health. I said koebaai to my fitness as I believe my base will be ground zero after this. Not worth getting it, but worth doing anything and everything to avoid it. I still think cardio fitness and fresh air is vital to help prepare yourself for this, but - keep in mind it's not yet Friday - sensibility goes a long way.

Took my friend more than 6 weeks before her lungs cleared. Another gent was 100% after 3 weeks.

There seems to be no "consistancy" in how this affects different people.

Staying healthy and fit surely is a good way to improve your chances of recovery, at least that is the traditional approach.

Now to try and stay safe while maintaining fitness levels ...

luckily I have all cellphone towers digitally mapped, along with terrain, farm boundaries etc, ultimate goal is to find a farm with a tower on site( rent and signal bonus), 2nd prize is to be withing good range....

luckily I have all cellphone towers digitally mapped, along with terrain, farm boundaries etc, ultimate goal is to find a farm with a tower on site( rent and signal bonus), 2nd prize is to be withing good range....

as long as you're not to close to the tower and then fall into the umbrella of the signal

did I read somewhere that masks are no longer compulsory when excercising? I think it was in this thread. Yes I'm too lazy to read through a whole lot of posts to find it.

did I read somewhere that masks are no longer compulsory when excercising? I think it was in this thread. Yes I'm too lazy to read through a whole lot of posts to find it.

Yep.

As long as:

-You are training "vigorously"

-Keeping at least 3m distance between yourself and others

And obviously the max group size of 4 is still applicable.

post-57330-0-50737800-1594884544_thumb.jpg

"vigorous" is going to be a **** show to prove. For some walking up the road is deemed vigorous, for others 4:00min/km hill repeats are only at an 8 on the RPE scale.

"vigorous" is going to be a **** show to prove. For some walking up the road is deemed vigorous, for others 4:00min/km hill repeats are only at an 8 on the RPE scale.

Not really. The dictionary defines it as any physical exercise using a lot of energy. So it excludes Karen walking her Shitzu around the block. I'm not using a mask when running.

Not really. The dictionary defines it as any physical exercise using a lot of energy. So it excludes Karen walking her Shitzu around the block. I'm not using a mask when running.

If Karen walks her poopup for 9 hours is it not physical exercise using a lot of energy? Yes it may be slow consumption of energy but over a long time it becomes a lot of energy. See where I am going here- it is again open to interpretation.

A run is different, definitely vigorous but manage your risks.