Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

That, and the Vitality crowd (and other rewards programs)

At the best of times the Vitality crowd is moaning about not getting their points .... going to get interesting when they cant get their points because they could not get a booking to be one of the 50 allowed in .....

slightly off topic .... sports stores have done a BOOMING trade in various fitness equipment.  LOTS of home gyms were set up .... wonder how many of the serious athletes are lining up to go back to a gym.

i'm part of the vitality crowd...but getting 900 points a week to ride your bike trumps going to the gym 9 times a week....

PS: I dont go to gyms lol. gross.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

slightly off topic .... sports stores have done a BOOMING trade in various fitness equipment.  LOTS of home gyms were set up .... wonder how many of the serious athletes are lining up to go back to a gym.

I'm frothing to get back to the gym. I love my tuesday and thursday morning spinning classes. I find it "easier" to go deep in a class than on my IDT

I don’t have a dreadmill at home, so that part of the gym is/was a nice alternative to my normal activities. I’m thinking of dropping the Vitality benefit, even though it costs me nothing (providing I meet the visit criteria).

I don’t have a dreadmill at home, so that part of the gym is/was a nice alternative to my normal activities. I’m thinking of dropping the Vitality benefit, even though it costs me nothing (providing I meet the visit criteria).

If you’re not using it for the other benefits then it makes no sense to have it i guess. Example: With my wife being pregnant...we have been getting 50% cash back from Woolworths for healthy food and healthy gear from sportmans And totalsports etc. Its 35% in normal months. Same at dischem...but instead of cash they give you the money on your dischem card. We’ve been hoarding baby stock abusing this over the past few months lol., We use those benifits to the max. We literally spend R2k at WW food Every 2 weeks and get R1k back a few days later. That alone makes it worth it and a no brainer in our household At this stage

. Anyway...OT sorry, there is a whole thread dedicated to this.

If you’re not using it for the other benefits then it makes no sense to have it i guess. Example: With my wife being pregnant...we have been getting 50% cash back from Woolworths for healthy food and healthy gear from sportmans And totalsports etc. Its 35% in normal months. Same at dischem...but instead of cash they give you the money on your dischem card. We’ve been hoarding baby stock abusing this over the past few months lol., We use those benifits to the max. We literally spend R2k at WW food Every 2 weeks and get R1k back a few days later. That alone makes it worth it and a no brainer in our household At this stage

. Anyway...OT sorry, there is a whole thread dedicated to this.

I guess I should have said I’m thinking of dropping the Gym benefit, not Vitality in general - I get too much back to drop that.

Smaller club-organised events seems to be the short-term future of events.

https://www.cyclingsa.com/news-and-press/2020/8/18/level-2-update?fbclid=IwAR1zLwrzkKVs6rBy78sWz217JJ-FoGfPfBLpeDIiMc2G6wliYaKb1LtBqBg

"In relation to event size, the limitation of gatherings to 50 people has the practical implication of start groups being limited to approx. 40 - 45 cyclists, when taking staff numbers into account. In addition to the restricted small-batch starts, it needs to be remembered that the total event attendance limitation per day is stipulated at 300 which again includes all staff and cyclists."

So what do you guys think... Can something like the 947 or Tshwane Classic take place under the announced Level 2 restrictions?

From what I have seen and heard, there won't be a shortage of interest.

Masks on in the holding pens and then into the back pocket as we roll off the line?

The real question will be if there is going to be still a state of emergency with Lockdown levels in 3 month's time?

The real question will be if there is going to be still a state of emergency with Lockdown levels in 3 month's time?

People with a better understanding than me of the Virus and epidemiology seem to think we will need to live with this thing until well into 2021 if not longer.

So the virus isn't going anywhere soon, according to them.

And then when you consider the new-found powers of NDZ et al, they will try to keep some form of control for as long as possible.

This makes me think there will still be a lingering Lockdown level, maybe only Level 1. But I doubt mass sporting events will get the necessary sign-off from the authorities. Same with concerts and other mass events.

People with a better understanding than me of the Virus and epidemiology seem to think we will need to live with this thing until well into 2021 if not longer.

So the virus isn't going anywhere soon, according to them.

And then when you consider the new-found powers of NDZ et al, they will try to keep some form of control for as long as possible.

This makes me think there will still be a lingering Lockdown level, maybe only Level 1. But I doubt mass sporting events will get the necessary sign-off from the authorities. Same with concerts and other mass events.

Newspapers would have us believe that various contries, on various continents, are having a "second wave" of Covid.

WHO now reports that they have data showing that the virus is being spread by asymptomatic people, citing people in their 20's and 30's.

On the one hand I am havinga bad case of cabin fever the last few days .... really want to get on with my life.  On the other hand, looking at those countries that have been dealing with this longer than us, it does not seem like the end is near.

Then again, some 30-odd medical products are in 2nd tier human trials.  HOPING that this brings some resolution to the current situation.

As for events in 2020 .... highly doubt it.  Probably not for the first half of 2021 either ..... Dammit, never hoped this hard that I am wrong !!  Did I mention I have a bit of cabin fever .... 

I can taste that post ride cheese-rooster-brood after a lekka MTB ride in the Boland ...  :drool:   :drool:

Newspapers would have us believe that various contries, on various continents, are having a "second wave" of Covid.

WHO now reports that they have data showing that the virus is being spread by asymptomatic people, citing people in their 20's and 30's.

On the one hand I am havinga bad case of cabin fever the last few days .... really want to get on with my life.  On the other hand, looking at those countries that have been dealing with this longer than us, it does not seem like the end is near.

Then again, some 30-odd medical products are in 2nd tier human trials.  HOPING that this brings some resolution to the current situation.

As for events in 2020 .... highly doubt it.  Probably not for the first half of 2021 either ..... Dammit, never hoped this hard that I am wrong !!  Did I mention I have a bit of cabin fever .... 

I can taste that post ride cheese-rooster-brood after a lekka MTB ride in the Boland ...  :drool:   :drool:

I see CSA has advised that groups of 50 are OK, with an overall limit of 300 for the whole event.

This leverages very nicely in the favour of exclusive MTB events, so there is hope for some riding in the short term

I see CSA has advised that groups of 50 are OK, with an overall limit of 300 for the whole event.

This leverages very nicely in the favour of exclusive MTB events, so there is hope for some riding in the short term

I do prefer the larger events in the Boland with a real bazaar atmosphere at the end .... but we know this aint happening any time soon.

REALLY hope these smaller events can get going, sooner rather than later.  This industry (organisers and affiliated groups) really needs to get some turn-over going.

I do prefer the larger events in the Boland with a real bazaar atmosphere at the end .... but we know this aint happening any time soon.

REALLY hope these smaller events can get going, sooner rather than later.  This industry (organisers and affiliated groups) really needs to get some turn-over going.

Three events already have the CSA seal of approval... None of them close by to you, but the door is open if organisers want to get moving.

https://www.cyclingsa-events.co.za/app_v2/

post-27827-0-99156300-1597828577_thumb.png