For the MTB riders: Visors or no visor on your helmut?

JC

Been checking out a few helmuts lately (might be in the market for you). Was to figure out which ones are for mtb and which are for road.

Did some research on visors: Rule of thumb that most MTB helmuts will have a visor and road helmuts not. Reason for is that road cyclist are generally in a more aggresive position and the visor would be in their way, while mtb riders not. Also that some MTB riders around the world prefer not to wear glasses because of the constant light changing condition in races (forest/open) and therefor want a visor.

But among our family members we are 50/50 with visors and non visors on mtb helmuts. Googled a few pro XC racers and most of them don't have visors.

Out of curiosity,

do you have a visor or not? 

And is there a specific reason why you went with your option?

or didn't really care about it?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan... Come from the roadie background for MTB and hate the look. Don't find it does much for me, but I do wear sunglasses so find that does everything I need a visor to do. Nothing against them tho, and I'm sure they have their uses... I'm just not a fan...

I like a visor and like the look. Never came from a roadie background. Helps a bit going into a sunrise or sunset and with anything coming down (rain or a branch or mud etc). Many visors can just clip off or on anyway.

Generally visors clip on to a helmet. So you can’t take it off or leave it on.

But the helmet that is comfortable, that fits your budget and that you are happy to ride with. Ride with it and have fun on your bike and don’t give a damn about what anyone else thinks about how it looks.

True story!! Me with my Da Brim on the Epic last year..

I'm  pretty sure the only reason why partner hung around with me was because of the 2 minute rule!

What has been seen, cannot be unseen...

post-44068-0-01413200-1584855653_thumb.jpg

I'm  pretty sure the only reason why partner hung around with me was because of the 2 minute rule!

No thanks....good luck seeing and dodging low branches on the single track with that.

I'm pretty sure the only reason why partner hung around with me was because of the 2 minute rule!

Those hours, those miles, that heat... Respect. Even with your brim. As you were.

low hanging branches are the only things where I found a visor handy otherwise they useless in my opinion 

Even for that I find I can dodge branches without the help of a visor.

In my biased opinion that little thingy is one of the most useless cycling related inventions ever. 

That said some of my friends prefer riding with them so "different strokes", "each to their own" and all that...

Even for that I find I can dodge branches without the help of a visor.

In my biased opinion that little thingy is one of the most useless cycling related inventions ever.

That said some of my friends prefer riding with them so "different strokes", "each to their own" and all that...

Its about the motocross heritage. We don't expect roadies to ever get it...

Good question, mtb visors were probably inherited from MX and enduro background.

Would you ride an off-road mtb with a normal full face helmet or piss pot without a visor?

????

On bicycles they are only useful as a sun shield or if you spend a lot of time riding behind someone in the wet.... they might shield your eyes for a few seconds, otherwise purely aesthetic and pretty useless.

I have always used a visor and use the same helmet for road an mtb, just does not feel right to ride without it..... if you don’t feel right, you can’t go fast

Edited by SwissVan