Being Scammed on the Markerplace

Brandon Charlton

Morning Everyone. What’s the process to follow after being scammed on the BikeHub marketplace?

After waiting since Friday for the Waybill number for a Suunto Ambit3 I bought from a chap Cyclelife.cfm, I got annoyed and entered his number into TrueCaller. They say he’s a scammer. My WhatsApp messages aren’t going through. And he doesn’t answer my calls.

What now? Do I just accept that my cash is gone? Or is there a process to follow and retrieve it?

I thank you for your input.

Good morning,

I sorry to hear of this. It unfortunately sounds like the pattern of a known scammer and it's unlikely that you'll be able to recover the money. Did you pay via FNB eWallet or similar?

Please send us an email with any details you have via help@bikehub.co.za 

Kind regards,
Matt

Morning Everyone. What’s the process to follow after being scammed on the BikeHub marketplace?

After waiting since Friday for the Waybill number for a Suunto Ambit3 I bought from a chap Cyclelife.cfm, I got annoyed and entered his number into TrueCaller. They say he’s a scammer. My WhatsApp messages aren’t going through. And he doesn’t answer my calls.

What now? Do I just accept that my cash is gone? Or is there a process to follow and retrieve it?

I thank you for your input.

I don't know if this is allowed, but name and shame the person. ****even share his details.  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

Okay my solely my bad then, why is the ad deleted then?

Surely admin wouldn't have just deleted it without investigating a little themselves

The posters very recent registration on the site is also suspect

Okay my solely my bad then, why is the ad deleted then?

Surely admin wouldn't have just deleted it without investigating a little themselves

The posters very recent registration on the site is also suspect

We have investigated and the account has been suspended. The user had previously been banned due to multiple reports of poor behaviour.

In future please hit the report button on any suspicious, incomplete or problem ads to ensure we investigate. It just so happened I'd posted in this thread and saw the notification, but we don't (can't) actively monitor all threads.

• 2 months later...

is there any way of checking a EFT payment? I received a notification from FNB but nothing in my account?

is there any way of checking a EFT payment? I received a notification from FNB but nothing in my account?

Most banks have the option for an almost instant eft so if this isn’t the case, until you can actually see it in your account I suggest waiting unless it’s a buyer with a good rating and well known - even then be cautious

I'll usually wait around 2 days for money to reflect in my account, after that I will start to get suspicious (with all my dealings, never had any sort of problem).

In most cases, I payment doesn't take more than 1 day-ish to reflect in my account.

Edited by Super Sywurm

Thanks, also going to wait a few days. Just wanted to see if there is any way or verifying the transaction. 

Thanks, also going to wait a few days. Just wanted to see if there is any way or verifying the transaction.

I don't know, there probably is if you call the bank, but is it worth the trouble?

Most banks have the option for an almost instant eft so if this isn’t the case, until you can actually see it in your account I suggest waiting unless it’s a buyer with a good rating and well known - even then be cautious

Sad thing about the "immediate eft" option is that if it is a new "beneficiary", some banks don't allow "immediate". In Absa's case - from personal experience -  they allow you to chose "immediate", but once you click "Pay" ... a message appears stating that it will only process the following day since it's a first time transaction  ... ;)

If you go to the FNB Online Banking page there is a "Verify payment" function below the log in section. It's pretty useful. Used it last week to confirm a payment for a Bikehub sale. Once you input the relevant confirmation details on the proof of payment you got sent it tells you whether it's a valid EFT payment.