Scratched Frame Elliot Mobility

ilubinsky

I sent my bike down to the Cycle Tour with Elliot Mobility as I have done in the past. Dropped it in the cycle lab parking lot on Sunday before the race. It was raining and a bit of a Que in the underground parking lot. I have an SWORKS tarmac and she is looked after meticulously and cleaned on a bike workshop stand after every ride.  So much so that I know every scratch on her.

When I gave her in I noticed that about 15 bikes were together on a bike rack. They wheeled her off and gave me a number so I could pick her up in Cape Town. They did not put her into a box in front of me as they usually do. My bad as she is now scratched. I imagine that this is where she was mistreated.

I pick her up in Cape Town and the top tube is scratched call over the managers and tell them about the scratch. They are very helpful and said that how can that happen in a box. I tell them boys this was not boxed when I gave it in I simply got my number and she was wheeled off. Nagel and Brad were very helpful and said they would sort it out and deliver to me as I stayed on in Cape Town for a couple of days. 

Last week Friday Brad calls to say can I pick i her up and I said no problem, it was around the corner and I will fetch her.

I asked the repair man if the chip on the  paint had been fixed and he said no that was not asked for only the scratch polished out. I contacted Brad and he agreed this could be done. I then thought on Saturday let me go and see what is happening to my bike. I turned her over to look at her and this is what I saw on the bottom tube. I contacted Brad today to tell him and he said he disputes that as there is no way that this could happen in a box. I agree Brad no way it could happen in a box. It was not put in a box straight away Brad.

You are sorting the top tube out as you felt you had a responsibility to do this and that this was possible as my bike was not boxed in front of myself. You refused to pay for the scratches on the bottom tube which I think happened from another bikes metal pedal against my bike. I will pay myself but there is principle here. Please guys when you send your bikes anywhere make sure they are boxed in front of you. I will not be using Elliot Mobility again.

post-10755-0-77585100-1585043661_thumb.jpg

It's quite difficult to prove who is at fault, so I suppose that you should be grateful that at least one of the scratches are being fixed.

Back in 2006, when the wind at the Argus was so bad. The race was stopped. They arrived with trucks and the bikes were loaded on top of each other. They were stacked in massive piles, probably 20 high. There is no way in hell I would have allowed that.

I am very pedantic with my bikes (or any of my possessions for that matter) and they must remain scratch free. My 2007 Raleigh looks like it came off the showroom floor yesterday.

Usually in the contract / terms and conditions, there will be an indemnity clause indemnifying the transporter from damage. Furthermore, there should also be something to the effect that you are transporting the bike at your own risk. Check your agreement / T&C's

Usually in the contract / terms and conditions, there will be an indemnity clause indemnifying the transporter from damage. Furthermore, there should also be something to the effect that you are transporting the bike at your own risk. Check your agreement / T&C's

I understand that but when they damage a R100 000 bike  take responsibility for half of the problem and not the whole problem it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am over it now and will never use them again. Lesson learnt on my part box your bike and dont leave it with them to do.Sad as I have used them on many tours.

It's quite difficult to prove who is at fault, so I suppose that you should be grateful that at least one of the scratches are being fixed.

Back in 2006, when the wind at the Argus was so bad. The race was stopped. They arrived with trucks and the bikes were loaded on top of each other. They were stacked in massive piles, probably 20 high. There is no way in hell I would have allowed that.

I am very pedantic with my bikes (or any of my possessions for that matter) and they must remain scratch free. My 2007 Raleigh looks like it came off the showroom floor yesterday.

100 % correct Longbarn. I am very pedantic with my bike hence the post. If I didnt give a crap I would never have posted this. Thanks for the response anyway.

Ethically and morally I agree, they should accept some sort of responsibility for their negligence and dealing with your pride and joy! Legally, companies usually absolve themself from such damage. However, making people aware of their conduct will hopefully bring about some remedy if not for yourself personally, it will be for others to aware of the defective service they offer and promise.

I understand that but when they damage a R100 000 bike take responsibility for half of the problem and not the whole problem it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am over it now and will never use them again. Lesson learnt on my part box your bike and dont leave it with them to do.Sad as I have used them on many tours.

Edited by ct_rider

I understand that but when they damage a R100 000 bike  take responsibility for half of the problem and not the whole problem it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am over it now and will never use them again. Lesson learnt on my part box your bike and dont leave it with them to do.Sad as I have used them on many tours.

there's lots of people riding R100k bikes these days... do your part to make sure your bike is handled correctly... or get a good bike bag and fly with your bike. But there's risks there also as we know how ACSA staff handle our goods.