Corona Lockdown Group Rides (Virtual)

OK so as as there are quite a bit of people with Newly purchased indoor trainers as most sites i have seen were sold

out.

This is a group to get group training rides for those that want to and some advice on setup, do's and Dont's

I know there are a couple of forums discussing issues and setups. 

There are 2 sites that are currently offering their premium package for free during the time of the lockdown

Rouvy

https://rouvy.com/en/challenges/detail/137

and

RGT

https://www.rgtcycling.com/covid-19/

Rgt does need two apps one for your phone and one for the screen to connect to 

Since there might be quite a bit of newbies(myself included) 

Tips tricks and advice can go along way.

I have been wanting to do a FTP but zwift kept dropping can be a range of issues. I also have noticed quite a difference in the feel of power between zwift and RGT for example.

Cheers see y' all on the road so to speak

I have been wanting to do a FTP but zwift kept dropping can be a range of issues. I also have noticed quite a difference in the feel of power between zwift and RGT for example.

Cheers see y' all on the road so to speak

Welcome to the dark side of indoors.

IMO RGT is k@k. If I'm going to ride around in a cartoon I'll rather pay for Zwift. I've tried both and I was bummed when my Zwift freebie ran out. on RGT i struggled to finish a ride. And that was on a road I've ridden in real life.

(Flame suit on) I wouldn't bother with an FTP test. On the App. Say Rouvy. Set a low FTP.  Then set up intervals.icu. Both integrate with strava and Intervals.icu will give you what it thinks your FTP is. I've done both and it's there or thereabouts for me.

Knowing your FTP is important for power based workouts but you'll soon know what the number is if you follow the above.

FTP is much like penis size. It's smaller than you think and the guys that boast about big ones are lying.

I've joined the #rideforitaly challenge on Rouvy. I've done 2 of the 4 routes. Last night I promised myself I's take it easy but I Fcked myself up again. One of these days I'll do an easy indoors ride.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

IMO RGT is k@k. If I'm going to ride around in a cartoon I'll rather pay for Zwift. I've tried both and I was bummed when my Zwift freebie ran out. on RGT i struggled to finish a ride. And that was on a road I've ridden in real life.

(Flame suit on) I wouldn't bother with an FTP test. On the App. Say Rouvy. Set a low FTP. Then set up intervals.icu. Both integrate with strava and Intervals.icu will give you what it thinks your FTP is. I've done both and it's there or thereabouts for me.

Knowing your FTP is important for power based workouts but you'll soon know what the number is if you follow the above.

FTP is much like penis size. It's smaller than you think and the guys that boast about big ones are lying.

I've joined the #rideforitaly challenge on Rouvy. I've done 2 of the 4 routes. Last night I promised myself I's take it easy but I Fcked myself up again. One of these days I'll do an easy indoors ride.

I havent done much but so you will also agree the power output feels more difficult on rgt?

I havent done much but so you will also agree the power output feels more difficult on rgt?

It's hard to say for sure. But 3% on RGT felt like 5.

But you must bear in mind that these apps are all just a means for you to hold on to your sanity while you are pushing pedals and going nowhere. So in the grand scheme of things it's much of a muchness. 3% 8% 12% these are just numbers. You're still in your lounge going nowhere.

(Flame suit on) I wouldn't bother with an FTP test. On the App. Say Rouvy. Set a low FTP.  Then set up intervals.icu. Both integrate with strava and Intervals.icu will give you what it thinks your FTP is. I've done both and it's there or thereabouts for me.

Will disagree with you about RGT being K*CK... but each to their own.  I ran Rouvy for many years and long before it was even called Rouvy

And to be honest Duane it becomes rather tedious and tiresome the way you pump Rouvy and slag off every other app.  Not everyone just wants to ride a road, many like to do structured workouts, load their own GPX etc.... not continually ride roads around the world.  In fact Kinomap and BigRingVR do it better than Rouvy.

The biggest issue is you quickly tried all available during the 2 week free trial periods when you were first getting into indoor riding and are still fairly new to it.  If it you did not like it you moved on.  The only reason you stuck with Rouvy is because of the family option and free addition people you can add.

So less the slagging off of other apps, enjoy what you like... after all it's just your opinion and people will like other apps for different reason.  Why I enjoyed Sufferfest,  Virtugo, also enjoy RGT for what it is but really when am training I actually use Golden Cheetah train mode and structured workouts.  I don't need to see a moving road in front of me whether real, augmented or cartoon as you call it.  I guess is why people who take their indoor riding seriously are generally on Trainerroad.

Will disagree with you about RGT being K*CK... but each to their own.  I ran Rouvy for many years and long before it was even called Rouvy

And to be honest Duane it becomes rather tedious and tiresome the way you pump Rouvy and slag off every other app.  Not everyone just wants to ride a road, many like to do structured workouts, load their own GPX etc.... not continually ride roads around the world.  In fact Kinomap and BigRingVR do it better than Rouvy.

The biggest issue is you quickly tried all available during the 2 week free trial periods when you were first getting into indoor riding and are still fairly new to it.  If it you did not like it you moved on.  The only reason you stuck with Rouvy is because of the family option and free addition people you can add.

So less the slagging off of other apps, enjoy what you like... after all it's just your opinion and people will like other apps for different reason.  Why I enjoyed Sufferfest,  Virtugo, also enjoy RGT for what it is but really when am training I actually use Golden Cheetah train mode and structured workouts.  I don't need to see a moving road in front of me whether real, augmented or cartoon as you call it.  I guess is why people who take their indoor riding seriously are generally on Trainerroad.

Sorry man. No intention to offend. I'll stop pumping Rouvy. I settled on it not because of the family option but because it was the the app that ran best on my Mygica setup at home.

I tried RGT hoping that I would enjoy it and I just didn't. I even went so far as to cancel my other subscription. I'm sure that many will enjoy it but it isn't for me at this stage.

I really wanted to hate it but I enjoyed Zwift, especially the workouts and all the other little bits & bobs that keep you engaged. And if I could get that to run properly on my setup at home that's probably what I'd be on.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Geez Shaper less than 24 hrs in isolation and already got the grumpy mood

All those things can be done in rouvy, not just "ride a road"

I'm sure as a long time rouvy user you are aware of this, but for those who are not here are some screen shots from your DCrainmaker link above, as evidence of a structured work out

And no... also as a long time rouvy user who never saw the need to change to anything else I'm not punting it or slagging anything

Be nice now and say sorry Duane  :thumbup:

post-182-0-46144000-1585337946_thumb.jpg

And if you do like roads....the same structured workout with a road view

post-182-0-16373000-1585337959_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-65997400-1585337977_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwissVan

I show up on Zwift as D Mamil so give me a thumbs up and I'll try scramble for my phone and reply.

I got overtaken by L Meintjies the other day. I gave him a ride on .... and he did.

After a successful Virtual Club 100 Cradle ride this morning, we had 21 registered which not bad for a first effort, we have put together Structured workout rides for this week.  Software running is that of RGTCYCLING (www.rgtcycling.com) which is currently free.  Dates and times below.  Click on the links to register

Monday 30 March 2020 @ 7:30am http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=vSMdJA2jhP

Wednesday 1 April 2020 @ 7:30am http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=EA98daVX6q

Friday 3 April 2020 @ 7:30am http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=6LAjCHlDVJ

Saturday 4 April 2020 @7:30am Durban 70.3 Bike leg http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=0nwdvg7cCW

Edited by shaper

So I am a Zwift fan, haven’t tried RGT or Rouvy. Doesn’t matter, all I know is that I am too small minded to just stare at a power number.

If it wasn’t for Zwift (insert favorite virtual riding app here) I would never be able to properly prepare for races, I just don’t have the time to ride outside during the week or the dedication to do structured training without the distraction. Also substituting a structured workout for a race or group ride when they get tedious also really keeps me going.

Then of course lockdown, if it wasn’t for Zwift I dunno if my four year old would make 5.....

I have a photo of my trainer on my desk at work.