Video calls - which is best ?

ChrisF

I have limited experience with "video calls" (one-on-one) and "video meetings" (multiple people on the same call).  I have sat in a few of these, but never gave the technology a second thought ..... never considered the logistics behind it.

Last week we had to quickly set up systems to work remotely, including remote meetings.  Our clients and architects use the following :

- Teams (these would be a natural step up on the projects where MS Teams is already used to share information and documentation)

- Zoom

Nobody asked to use WhatsApp calls.

We have since setup these on the PC's and phones of all our staff.  From a work perspective we will try to accommodate the client/architect's requests for a particular technology.

With all this technology readily available I have been wondering about using it to stay in touch with friends and family.  And now I am left with more questions than answers .....  :wacko:   :ph34r:

For AUDIO calls:

- which of these are the "smoothest" (I dont like the lag on WhatsApp calls)

- use the least data

For VIDEO and AUDIO calls:

- which of these are the "smoothest" 

- use the least data

- what type of data use for 15 minute call (many business calls may drag on longerrrrrr...  :wacko: )

Any other technologies worth considering ?

MODS - sorry if this in the wrong sub-section.  Please move if there is a more appropriate sub-section.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't comment on data usage, but in my experience Zoom provides the best experience. Video is good quality and smooth, less lags than others, good sound, easy screen sharing, nice interface for group meetings.

To be honest I haven't tried other platforms for a while, I settled on Zoom a few years ago and have used that ever since - but that's just because I have not been given reason to try anything else.

Yup, I'd also suggest Zoom.

You can switch off video to reduce bandwidth usage.

Free account allows you a 40min group call and unlimited length one-on-one call.

I have had good experiences with Zoom and Google Hangouts. The work uses MS Teams, also good but crashes every now and then... could just be the work network though.

Thanks.

Will soon see if my ADSL line can handle video calls .... add in the issues with the undersea cables and it may be tricky .....

QUESTION - can one switch the video part on and off during a call ?  Mostly audio will be fine, but sometimes a section of video would be handy to manage design details .....

Haven used Zoom, only use skype, but also only one on one. Whatsapp sucks, drops call, looses audio. I prefer skype, but have been using it for many years a well.

Will have a look into zoom, as I am planning a video conference.

I have had good experiences with Zoom and Google Hangouts. The work uses MS Teams, also good but crashes every now and then... could just be the work network though.

AAh yes, heard about MS Teams. Believe that it is very good. 

• Zoom for work, seems to handle multiple users pretty well. 

• House Party for drinks and letting kids catch up with school mates (set to private tho) for up to 8 people at once. 

• Skype is endlessly buggy and I find can't handle multiple attendees on the call but okay for one on ones. 

• Whatsapp and FaceTime are pretty last resort. 

Thanks.

Will soon see if my ADSL line can handle video calls .... add in the issues with the undersea cables and it may be tricky .....

QUESTION - can one switch the video part on and off during a call ? Mostly audio will be fine, but sometimes a section of video would be handy to manage design details .....

Yes, most, if not all, apps will allow you to switch video off and on as needed during a call. Edited by Grease_Monkey

From a pure calling/presentation point of view, Zoom for meetings is the best in my opinion. Some of our larger clients have Zoom subscriptions which means, unlimited time in meetings (yay) and participants are also not limited.

For internal workflow, we are using teams, the learning curve has been steep for some, but adaptation is good. We are project based, and Teams work really well for getting all the relevant info in one place, with updates being able to be done in real time. Switching video off, and only using audio is great, as this reduces the data usage. 

Skype is used for my drinks sessions with my mates in the uk and america. getting more comfortable on these sessions as well.

there are multiple options of connection to meetings with all these apps. If you have loads of free minutes, you can phone into these meetings (Zoom and teams) like a normal phonecall.

My current setup at home: PC with no webcam or audio. For video/audio I use an Ipad, which seems to work better than most people on laptops etc.

We have found, using earphones with a microphone reduces background noise and feedback quite a bit in out workload meeting (13 people) 

keep microphone switched off, until required to speak. 

Edited by RocknRolla

MS Teams at the office because of the better bandwidth and then Zoom at home. WhatsApp and Skype aren’t bad but latency is always an issue with the quality of the connection.

there are multiple options of connection to meetings with all these apps. If you have loads of free minutes, you can phone into these meetings (Zoom and teams) like a normal phonecall.

My current setup at home: PC with no webcam or audio. For video/audio I use an Ipad, which seems to work better than most people on laptops etc.

Also have the issue of PC without webcam and audio .... thus we setup the apps on our phones.

QUESTIONS :

- If we ACCEPT an incoming call, on a phone/ipad - does that impact on our "minutes" or "data" ?

- If we MAKE a call - does this impact on our minutes or data ?

with reference to : MS Teams, Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp ....

Edited by ChrisF

THANKS to everyone for the valued input.

I will have to try MS Teams .... but I now know that bandwidth may well cause issues.

Seems Zoom may be the fall back option, for business purposes from home.

We were talking about this during the week ..... This experience WILL change the way we do business !!  For the better.   

Try https://whereby.com/ been using it with our team for the last couple of days and seems to do the trick. Simple to setup, screen sharing actually works quite well. Up to 4 people is free, need a 9$ subscription for multiple "rooms" and up to 12 people per meeting.

Not sure what the broken Seacom cable is going to do to all these services - timing of this sucks!

We use Teams at work.  Works well as we have office in Canada (Vancouver) and Aus (Brisbane).  Quality and latency is good but I have no bandwidth issue.  I have a 100 Mbit line.  Very seldom use Skype as not many other people use Skype but Skype and Teams is pretty much the same thing.  I think Microsoft actually bought Skype.  I hate Whatsapp because of the latency.

Wrt to your question about data.  It does not care who make the call.  You use data and you pay for that.  I do not know which of the products use less data, once again I am not bothered because I do not have capped data.

I do not know Zoom at all.

Try https://whereby.com/ been using it with our team for the last couple of days and seems to do the trick. Simple to setup, screen sharing actually works quite well. Up to 4 people is free, need a 9$ subscription for multiple "rooms" and up to 12 people per meeting.

Not sure what the broken Seacom cable is going to do to all these services - timing of this sucks!

I thought it was fixed already just the other day.  Not sure now.