Which software for IDT?

Henley 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zwift/comments/gox3xw/fun_mod_makes_gta_v_work_with_smart_trainers_as/

This looks like great fun.

Coincidentally I already have GTA V installed on the PC that I am doing my indoor training on.

I'm going to try and do it just to confuse the crap out of my Strava peeps.

Saw that yesterday on a few feeds, looks quite fun. Even DC Rainmaker did a quick note on it. Let us know how it is?

@Swift, this guy has a tutorial on how to get it to work

Edited by shaper

NOT supposed to be THAT difficult ....

I had an old NUC PC running Win 7 in storage, this was long since replaced by a media player.

Plugged in the Ant+ sensor, paired the devices.  And it simply WORKS - touch wood !

I wanted to try various other programs .... most require Win10 and wont ever run this old box .....

100%. Don't change  A THING on your setup unless it actually breaks. There's nothing quite as frustrating being all kitted up with your shoes and HRM on trying to troubleshoot IT issues.

If it aint broke don't fix it and all those wise things. 

Touch wood my new laptop is working 100% after the addition of an ANT dongle.

So a little update.

This is a post about hardware related issues. Not the trainer but the computer(s)

I've had endless issues with my setup not connecting fully and Zwift simply not seeing my HRM. Try as I might it just never seemed to work correctly.

Unplug this. switch that on. wear red socks. Whatever. Nothing seemed to resolve the issue properly.

Then the other day for no apparent reason my laptop simply refused to connect to anything at all. I could connect via the companion app but then ERG mode doesn't work and I'm doing a program so that is kind of important. Yesterday I decide screw this and I go out an buy a new laptop. I've needed a private computer for a while and this was my perfect excuse.

WHAT A MASSIVE FAF!

I earn a living from an IT related industry so I know drivers and those types of things. I sat with the new laptop till midnight last night trying to get it working. I can't imagine how ridiculous the situation would be for a layman. Bottom line the bluetooth drivers on both machines are somehow screwed. The culprit seems to be a recent windows update.

Anyways thanks to a fellow hubber I'm now in possession of an ANT dongle and that seemed to connect seamlessly and immediately. 

ANT + Dongle seems to solve most connectivity issues.

Please help an geriatric here.

When using my Android phone and also the Tablet to connect to my Smart trainer, it does read all my sensors,including HR (over bluetooth I assume). This is not ideal, as the old eyes struggle see on the small screens. :whistling:

My laptop does not pick up my HR, but all the other sensors (speed, power, etc) from my smart trainer. When connecting to my TV, I use a HDME cable, which gives me the "big picture" but no HR readings. This is also not ideal, as I would like to record / use my HR.

Finding Ant + dongles (and at an affordable price) is neigh on impossible at this stage, and I know that is what is needed to sort out all my issues..

I then had the brainwave to "chromecast" from my tablet to my TV, and it does work to an extend. I find that the resolution on the TV varies all the time, from almost perfect to real crap, and it also buffers a lot, so much that it is not use-able at times.  Is it something that is to be expected, or is it a setting that can be changed somewhere? 

When using my Android phone and also the Tablet to connect to my Smart trainer, it does read all my sensors,including HR (over bluetooth I assume). This is not ideal, as the old eyes struggle see on the small screens. :whistling:

My laptop does not pick up my HR, but all the other sensors (speed, power, etc) from my smart trainer. When connecting to my TV, I use a HDME cable, which gives me the "big picture" but no HR readings. This is also not ideal, as I would like to record / use my HR.

Finding Ant + dongles (and at an affordable price) is neigh on impossible at this stage, and I know that is what is needed to sort out all my issues..

I then had the brainwave to "chromecast" from my tablet to my TV, and it does work to an extend. I find that the resolution on the TV varies all the time, from almost perfect to real crap, and it also buffers a lot, so much that it is not use-able at times. Is it something that is to be expected, or is it a setting that can be changed somewhere?

I don't have a chrome cast but do have a smart TV I cast too and have never seen quality issues but on occasion I have seen buffering issues.

I have 2 WiFi networks on my house 1 of which is broadcast from the router nearest the TV which is connected via cable and that solves it 99% of the time.

Ideally you want to be on a 5ghz, not 2.4ghz network for this and ideally on the same one, but signal strength will play a big part in this and sounds to me like you have a crappy signal either to your phone, the chrome cast or both.

If you are stuck with 2.4ghz then there is nothing you can do, that network is not good for streaming especially if you have lots of signal in your area a, its best suited for browsing and general usage, basically anything but streaming or gaming.

You are basically going via what sounds like a bad signal to your router and then that same bad one back to the chrome cast.

The quality and placement of the router play a big role as well with that, if your router is near even just a few electrical wires or has to travel through thick or multiple walls, is behind a plant, you could be trashing your signal completely.

I used to have my router behind the TV in the lounge when I was dumber which not a great spot but with my room also being behind it not terrible either. I got that Telekom uncapped lte and the difference between behind the TV and 2m to the left, not behind the TV was 12mb vs 90mb. That was when I learnt the true impact of electrical interference.

@wannabe. You aren't going to want to hear this but I had the same issue with my HR monitor and laptop.

And then one day after a windows update nothing worked on Bluetooth. An ANT dongle sorted my connectivity issues instantly.

A Ant+ dongle is a Ant+ Dongle is a Ant+ dongle, am I right? All should work with everything, there is no "good" or "bad" dongles.

What will be the difference between a R500 one and a R895 one?

A Ant+ dongle is a Ant+ Dongle is a Ant+ dongle, am I right? All should work with everything, there is no "good" or "bad" dongles.

What will be the difference between a R500 one and a R895 one?

The only thing I know is avoid the older Garmin ANT+ dongles, they work fine with Garmin devices but nothing else [emoji20]

I then had the brainwave to "chromecast" from my tablet to my TV, and it does work to an extend. I find that the resolution on the TV varies all the time, from almost perfect to real crap, and it also buffers a lot, so much that it is not use-able at times. Is it something that is to be expected, or is it a setting that can be changed somewhere?

I had exactly the same issue, got a Unitek USB to HDMI adapter to connect my phone to a large monitor. Now I can use the IDT without having to wear glasses ???????? Edited by PowerB

• 1 month later...