Brake upgrade options for Scott RC 900 Comp?

boesman88

Does anyone know what the larger diameter brake rotors are that can be fitted to a Scott RC 900 alu frame?  Of where I can find out? Standard size is 160/180 rear and front.

appreciate it

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Robert. I have the standard 160 Centerline in rear and 180 in front with SRAM Level brakes at the moment.

I damaged the front rotor and replaced it with a Shimano ICE Tech rotor - also 180 - but it seems to not work well with the SRAM setup - I get a vibration when using the FB as if the contours of the Shimano doesnt marry well with the braking surface of the SRAM pads.

I am generally not very happy with the Level’s - partly cos I’m on the heavier side - 110kg - and find the Levels lose grip after a while when working hard under braking. The other reason is they are not cheap to run and I end up having to rebuild them from time to time (service kit) which I never had to so when I ran XT on my hard tail.

So, long story short, instead of replacing the ‘new’ shimano front rotor back to a Centerline, I am considering replacing the brakes with XT four pots and possibly upgrade the rear to 180 as well. This should provide ample stopping power

Thanks Robert. I have the standard 160 Centerline in rear and 180 in front with SRAM Level brakes at the moment.

I damaged the front rotor and replaced it with a Shimano ICE Tech rotor - also 180 - but it seems to not work well with the SRAM setup - I get a vibration when using the FB as if the contours of the Shimano doesnt marry well with the braking surface of the SRAM pads.

I am generally not very happy with the Level’s - partly cos I’m on the heavier side - 110kg - and find the Levels lose grip after a while when working hard under braking. The other reason is they are not cheap to run and I end up having to rebuild them from time to time (service kit) which I never had to so when I ran XT on my hard tail.

So, long story short, instead of replacing the ‘new’ shimano front rotor back to a Centerline, I am considering replacing the brakes with XT four pots and possibly upgrade the rear to 180 as well. This should provide ample stopping power

Friend of mine has XT 4 pot on the tandem and he had no problems going down Bergplaas on TransB last year so they should be good for you. 

Basically you want the same system that is on the 2019 Giant Trance E+2 ebike ... 203mm discs, 4

Pod brakes

Basically you want the same system that is on the 2019 Giant Trance E+2 ebike ... 203mm discs, 4

Pod brakes

That was my initial thinking - 203's front and rear vs the 180/160s - hence my question around frame compatibility.  Most people seem to think there is not much difference between a 180/160 setup and 203/203 setup in terms of performance.  But most people dont weight 110.  :-)  the extra couple of grams is not noticable for me.

Edited by boesman88

Worth noting the Giant system is similar to normal brakes .... just using spacers to get the correct placement for the caliper

I doubt you will fit a 200mm rotor in the rear end of a Spark. 203 front and 180 rear is likely your best bet with a set of 4 pot brakes.

I doubt you will fit a 200mm rotor in the rear end of a Spark. 203 front and 180 rear is likely your best bet with a set of 4 pot brakes.

This. I've got the Spark 910 and have the XT M8120 4-pot calipers at the back with a 180mm rotor and it JUST fits. Caliper body is literally touching the seat stay. No chance at all of getting a bigger rotor in there.

Have to agree here. My StumpJumper came with Tektro brakes (who does that?!?)

Anyways, upgraded to 2nd hand SLX, but the levers wore out and gave issues. I then went for another budget friendly option, 2pot Cura's. Been down Helderberg a couple of times with them and I really enjoy them!

Consider Formula Cura as well. Possibly the most powerful 2 pot around, and fully rebuildable - though I have yet to see a set that's needed it.

Have to agree here. My StumpJumper came with Tektro brakes (who does that?!?)

Anyways, upgraded to 2nd hand SLX, but the levers wore out and gave issues. I then went for another budget friendly option, 2pot Cura's. Been down Helderberg a couple of times with them and I really enjoy them!

they also make gwinner's brakes  :ph34r:

so 

2 pot cura's and 203 front and 180 rear  :thumbup:

should be A massive upgrade compared to what you have now and should also be on th emore budget friendly side considering what most 4 pot sets go for 

they also make gwinner's brakes  :ph34r:

TRP and Tektro are the same company, but this is like saying a Corolla is a Lexus...

OP, check the max rotor size on your fork, you may find that 180 is as big as you can go on whatever's fitted to the RC, what with it being a lightweight race bike. At the back, Scott make specific brake adapters for each rotor size - get the proper thing from your Scott dealer.

This. I've got the Spark 910 and have the XT M8120 4-pot calipers at the back with a 180mm rotor and it JUST fits. Caliper body is literally touching the seat stay. No chance at all of getting a bigger rotor in there.

Thanks - this is very helpful as the rear geometry should be the same.  I assume you added a spacer to fit the calipers?

Did you use the 8120s on the 160 rear rotor before fitting the 180? did it make the ~20% difference I read about on the interweb?

TRP and Tektro are the same company, but this is like saying a Corolla is a Lexus...

OP, check the max rotor size on your fork, you may find that 180 is as big as you can go on whatever's fitted to the RC, what with it being a lightweight race bike. At the back, Scott make specific brake adapters for each rotor size - get the proper thing from your Scott dealer.

Seems like the Fox Float 32 has a max rotor size of 180-  so guess I'll be upgrading only the calipers and not the size of the rotors for now - 4 pot should make a big difference I would expect.

You wont go wrong with the XT's I even run them (normal 2 pot with 180 ice F & R) 

But here's my next question: How did you install the new rotor after replacing the old? Normally the pads and rotors seed together, i.e. the surface level wears together. The vibration you're currently experiencing may be due to this. My suggestion would be to sand the pads down a bit or replace them. 

But if you have the cash to spend then definitely go with the XT's, even the normal 2 pot with 180 rotors will suffice. I have done 4 Baviaans races and I've never felt that I was not in control