Any recommended XC(road) Helmet?

JC

In the market for a new helmet. Have tested the fit of a few helmets over the last few weeks. Started doing some research but there doesn't seem to be to many independent reviews only.  Willing to spend a few rand for my safety. Any recommendations?  Might do some road cycling down the line, so  more xc/road than xc/trail.

Thanks

In the market for a new helmet. Have tested the fit of a few helmets over the last few weeks. Started doing some research but there doesn't seem to be to many independent reviews only.  Willing to spend a few rand for my safety. Any recommendations?  Might do some road cycling down the line, so  more xc/road than xc/trail.

Thanks

I'm in the market too,

I'm leaning towards the Lazer Blade + MIPs. Reasonably priced and decent safety rating. It is within my budget. Plenty of options depending on how much cash you're willing to spend.

Budget?

Could you put a price on your safety?;) however, with all the lockdown sales i would prefer to stay below R2500, ending up buying one of the helmets on special. 

I'm in the market too,

I'm leaning towards the Lazer Blade + MIPs. Reasonably priced and decent safety rating. It is within my budget. Plenty of options depending on how much cash you're willing to spend.

Would definitely add that one to my shortlist. Have you checked out some of the rudy helmets from ASG? Thanks

Would definitely add that one to my shortlist. Have you checked out some of the rudy helmets from ASG? Thanks

Sure did, The FTech Lancia looks good value too but I'm looking for a helmet with MIPS.Happy hunting :thumbup: . Have a look on the Specialized website too. 

I shmaak the Abus Airbreaker

Not sure who stocks them tho. Looks like a lekker all rounder.

Cycle Lab online sells them. Nice lid only wish the price was nicer.

Cycle Lab online sells them. Nice lid only wish the price was nicer.

R4k  :whistling:

suddenly less attractive.

Whatever you get, make sure it fits very well, and has MIPS.

I had a concussion a month ago, broke the helmet, and in the post crash review of the damage I reckon some rotational slip would have helped reduce the concussion.

I won't ride a helmet without it from here on.

Akker,

I'm not sure asking for recommendation is a good thing because, like shoes we're all different.

What I would suggest is measure the circumference of your head and then apply that measurement to the brands like offer what you're looking for. Then take the smallest helmet that accomodates your head.

for Example:

My head circumference measurs 55.2cm. So I look for a helmet that caters for 53/54cm to 56cm.

I find that Giro, MeT, Catlike and Limar size Small fits the most comfortably. I can size up to a medium in all those brands but then I need to dial the rear adjuster in quite far. This results in a slightly wobbly fit which defeats the point and expense of MIPS. For MIPS to work the helmet shell has to be a good fit.

Then there is the general shape of your head and the helmet shell. The above mentioned brands fit a more ellipse shaped head while helmets like Rudy Project, FTech, Bell,  cater for rounder shapes. The effect of fitting a round helmet onto an elliptical head is that it tends to sit on top and create pressure points.

So short of taking a mould of your head (People do strange things when they have too much time on their hands) suggest you start with the measurements, select those you're keen on and then once Lockdown is over go try some on.

My favourites under R2500:

Giro SYntax / Artex (removal peak version of Syntax)

Met Rivale

Catlike Whisper

Limar AIr Master

Edited by DieselnDust