Oval Chainrings

Nice.

Also running oval. Not sure if there is a difference so I will just stick to it.

Oval on Mtb and round on road.. Believe me you feel the difference.

Started off with rotor rings on the road. the O.Symmetric (BEST IMO). Absolute black ovals on the mtb and changing to absolute black on the road as soon as the fiances lets me

I'm 100kg and with a pedal stroke analysis we did(Daisy way coaching) saw that the ovals tought me to utilize more of the pedal stroke to compensate for carrying my extra weight

Hope it helps

Different strokes for different folks.

IMO there is definitely a difference and you'll feel it right of the bat, but only with proper analysis like mentioned above will you know if it's fitting for you or not.

In my experience if you're well honed in spinning, like most roadies, your going to be better of with round, if you have a punchy pedal stroke(wich is the case with most weekend warriors) you'll possibly benefit from oval.

If you're not planning on doing a bike setup try testing both to get the feel for them and decide for yourself what you LIKE.

There was a study I read a while back [2014] (while on a flight :ph34r:) that did not see a significant power output difference between cyclists using and not using oval chainrings. They did see a small improvement though (2.5% to 6.5%) for short sprints.

Another study, done in reference to the one above in 2016, indicated a potential 4.3% improvement while sprinting.

And in yet another study I just found [2010] they didn't find any difference between normal and oval chainrings.

I personally use oval chainrings on my MTBs and slightly prefer them, but I'm also relatively inexperienced. They *seem* to be kinder to my knees - but this could be bike fit.

Edited by aquaratza

I went shorter cranks and oval blade and gone were the pains of long days in the saddle. If there is any gain I can't say but comfort is an obvious plus for me making it worth it. Have the same crank on new bike but round ring and it just doesn't feel as good.

• 6 months later...

I personally use oval chainrings on my MTBs and slightly prefer them, but I'm also relatively inexperienced. They *seem* to be kinder to my knees - but this could be bike fit.

Interesting, I have heard a few cases of oval chain rings causing knee problems and when I initially switched my knees were also sore after very long rides but it got better in time (assume my knees got used to it)

Love the oval on my mtb but not 100% convinced the improvement is not just a placebo effect  :D

My experience with the 34 rapide oval is that i no longer lose traction so easily and subsequently i carry a bit more momentum going up steep rocky/loose climbs.

I just received my Rapide 32T oval, can't wait to test it.

Biggest notable difference for me with ovals is on steep technical climbing with MTB. Sometimes, in a tight spot, when ones power and or skill runs out one feels that if you could have made one or two more crank revolutions before bailing, you could stay on the bike for the remainder of the technical part. Ovals definitely makes it easier to complete those crucial pedal strokes.