Mtb 29 rims

jpscania

Hi guy.. Hope you can give me advice.. I'm looking for a set of 29 rims to upgrade from my rims that my Merida dual suspension came out with.. What would you recommend.. I'm doing single track and gravel riding.. I want something that's light between 3and 4 grand

Lyne AMP30 first gen wide, lightweight and strong and if you are under 100kg I would go for the Pulse 30 basically the same rim only with 28 spokes so save some more weight. Had a set on my HT and after more than a year the only thing I needed to do was replace the bearings once!

Hi guy.. Hope you can give me advice.. I'm looking for a set of 29 rims to upgrade from my rims that my Merida dual suspension came out with.. What would you recommend.. I'm doing single track and gravel riding.. I want something that's light between 3and 4 grand

I might have a second hand American Classic AM 28 set with boost hubs, if you are interested.Ā  PM me.

What have you got on there currently - hubs, spokes and rims.

Ā 

You can do rims, spokes and labour on that budget - a complete wheelset you'll have to look second hand.

CWC have some decent wheels on sale at the moment.Ā 

Ā 

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/ztr-29r-crest-mk3neo-wheelset

Ā 

Crests on Hope for R4,499

Arch on Hope for R5,899

Flow 3 on Hope for R5,899

A set of mavics I know nothing about for cheap.Ā 

Ā 

Anything with Crests (well, Stans MK3 in general) you'll be rebuilding within 2 years. Particularly the builds you've listed there - they're built with straight gauge spokes that will pull through the rims even quicker than normal. MK3 rims suffer from fatigue cracking around the spoke spoke holes due to the shallow rim profile and lack of reinforcement.

Ā 

Mavics tend to be full of proprietary hard to find spares, but if you ride light you should be ok.

Ā 

I'd rather go with a decent set of new WTB / DT Swiss / Lyne Pulse rims with double butted spokes hand built on whatever hubs you've got (unless they're terrible, but I don't know what they are yet) by a wheel builder that knows what they're doing. This gives you a wheelset that's durable and with spokes you can find at pretty much any bike shop.

Have a look at the Raceface rims, ARC/AR 27 and even offset options, affordable and strong, but not light weight.

Droo is asking some of the right questions, what have you got, rim and hub, at the moment, but also what is your weight?

If OEM hubs are good you can only upgrade the hoops and save some money, but a good pair of hoops(for you) might also depend on your weight.

Ā 

Errr, sorry about that shat....[emoji6]

Edited by BenReaper

Hunt make pretty saucy wheels.

Ā 

https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/

Ā 

Hunt make great wheels.

Ā 

I know it's a little callous but there are a lot of bike shops who are pumping out good deals on wheels and need to survive through this difficult time so maybe give a few a call and see if they have anything that will suit on sale (or can put on sale) and help keep them ticking over.Ā 

Edited by T-Bob