Titan Racing Launch All-New Drone Hardtail

News bot

Hi all. So who has owned one of these Drone HT's for a while now? I am looking to get a new lightweight HT in early 2021 for between 20 and 30k.

I'm looking at the Drone Pro, the Specialized Chisel Comp and the Giant XTC SLR.

I love the frame of the Chisel Comp, but the fork (Judy Gold) seems a bit low end, and the wheelset is non-descript.

The XTC SLR looks good, but I dont think the frame is quite as light, or compliant, as the Chisel.

This Drone Pro/Elite comes with great comps! XT, Rockshox SID... what! those comps alone push you close to R20000, nevermind a frame etc.

I do quite a lot of trail riding (blue and red trails mainly), but I also want a light, aggressive HT that can climb well, and can absorb bumps and chatter a bit better than my alloy GT Zaskar.

Does this Titan Drone frame absorb bumps and trail chatter, or is a very hard ride that will fatigue a rider after a few hours in the saddle?

Looking forward to your opinions! (if only one can properly demo bikes in this country).

Listening to what you're asking for here (something which absorbs bumps a bit better) - have you considered the Silverback Superspeed 2 (monoburst), Trek Procaliber (isospeed) or Scott Scale (one with SDS)? All hardtails with additional small bump compliance / extra flex / damping tech built into the frames.

Those technologies (monoburst, isospeed, SDS) seem to be what you're after.

I was also looking for a 2020 Titan Drone Pro but couldn't find one in my size (sold out in the entire country). The components you get is just unbeatable.

However I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Silverback Superspeed on the Hub upgraded with a Reba fork and brand new drivetrain, well within your budget you mentioned above. I'm extremely happy that this is the bike I ended up with.

Edited by Kameel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kameel! Ya I'd only try that silverback with an upgraded fork.. like a Reba as you have.

And getting hold of a procaliber... well let's just say that's a difficult task as well ! A bike shop even said to me.. procalibers being sold in SA are becoming rare... for some reason

Ok so keen for any real ride reports of the Titan Drone's out on the trail please?

Climbing? Trail? Technical confidence?

Frame very stiff like shake your bones stiff, or does it have a bit of flex?

• 6 months later...
On 12/5/2020 at 3:18 PM, ByronH said:

Hi all. So who has owned one of these Drone HT's for a while now? I am looking to get a new lightweight HT in early 2021 for between 20 and 30k.

I'm looking at the Drone Pro, the Specialized Chisel Comp and the Giant XTC SLR.

I love the frame of the Chisel Comp, but the fork (Judy Gold) seems a bit low end, and the wheelset is non-descript.

The XTC SLR looks good, but I dont think the frame is quite as light, or compliant, as the Chisel.

This Drone Pro/Elite comes with great comps! XT, Rockshox SID... what! those comps alone push you close to R20000, nevermind a frame etc.

I do quite a lot of trail riding (blue and red trails mainly), but I also want a light, aggressive HT that can climb well, and can absorb bumps and chatter a bit better than my alloy GT Zaskar. 

Does this Titan Drone frame absorb bumps and trail chatter, or is a very hard ride that will fatigue a rider after a few hours in the saddle?

Looking forward to your opinions! (if only one can properly demo bikes in this country).

I've had a Drone Elite since July last year (although the frame was warranteed and replaced with a Pro frame due to a seat-tube crack (my fault running the post just over the minimum insertion but Titan were great about it). It's a BRILLIANT bike. I moved from a Camber to this and can honestly say I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever. It handles incredibly well, is surprisingly capable on technical stuff at Thaba Trails (if you get your tyre pressure's right) and that SID fork is nothing short of superb in terms of dealing with trail chatter.

I haven't weighed my bike but imagine it's somewhere around 12/12.5kg for an XL but that's stock standard. Grey bike in pics was my original frame. My components have been built across to the red frame and the guys at Balllistic Bike Armour did some SID and Sun Ringle decals in matching red for me.

Titan 1.jpg

Titan Pro.jpg

1 minute ago, Danger Dassie said:

On an alloy hardtail that’s not terrible at all, especially for an XL. Glad you got sorted ????

Lots of scope for making it lighter as well if you had to change out post, bars and stem for carbon. Could do cranks and wheels as well but then that defeats the point of keeping the cost down...

4 minutes ago, GuyKilfoil said:

Lots of scope for making it lighter as well if you had to change out post, bars and stem for carbon. Could do cranks and wheels as well but then that defeats the point of keeping the cost down...

For sure, also depends what one wants performance wise. Would work out a well priced race bike, not too far off Specialized’s Chisel or Trek Procal for eg.

Convinced that the stock standard  Drone Elite and Pro could be comfortably (relatively at least) used at the Cape Epic.

Edited by Danger Dassie

Just now, Danger Dassie said:

For sure, also depends what one wants performance wise. Would work out a well priced race bike, not too far off Specialized’s Chisel or Trek Procal for eg.

Convinced that the Drone Elite and Pro could be comfortably (relatively at least) used at the Cape Epic.

If the guys could do the Epic on Signals I'm 100% convinced the Drone's could perform equally well. Not for someone with my skill level of course but in the right hands, no problem for sure! :)

17 minutes ago, GuyKilfoil said:

If the guys could do the Epic on Signals I'm 100% convinced the Drone's could perform equally well. Not for someone with my skill level of course but in the right hands, no problem for sure! :)

Deffo, I managed it in 2012 on a stock Axis A10. Formed part of the marketing for the brand, which was launched at the time by the same guy who is now a director at Signal’s parent Co.