New Shimano 12 speed group set.

Justin

Hi all,not sure if this topic has been covered by someone yet?

Can you run the new Shimano 12 speed set up but running a Sunrace cassette and using an alternative chainring ,not Shimano specific.

Obviously you loose the cassette range which Shimano offers on their cassette.

It has been mentioned to me that their chains have a different pitch and will prematurely wear out any non specific Shimano 12 speed components, is this true?

If so then to use an alternative chain other than Shimano if that is the case.

My plan was to just do an upgrade kit on shifter, derailleur and chain and using the current Sunrace 11-50 cassette and my current crank with chainring.

Thanks.

Hi

I have a 12 speed XT shifter, XT chain and XT derailleur with a SRAM GX cassette and a Rapide crankset.  No issues with it. Shifting is smooth and the chain runs quiet.  Have probably done a 1000 km with the setup. A bit early to say but i have not not noticed or experienced any wear on the cassette, chain or chainring.

Hi all,not sure if this topic has been covered by someone yet?

Can you run the new Shimano 12 speed set up but running a Sunrace cassette and using an alternative chainring ,not Shimano specific.

Obviously you loose the cassette range which Shimano offers on their cassette.

It has been mentioned to me that their chains have a different pitch and will prematurely wear out any non specific Shimano 12 speed components, is this true?

If so then to use an alternative chain other than Shimano if that is the case.

My plan was to just do an upgrade kit on shifter, derailleur and chain and using the current Sunrace 11-50 cassette and my current crank with chainring.

Thanks.

Sram chains works great on Sunrace cassette. Have done 2 of those convertions, 1 full Shimano with only sunrace cassette and 1 just derailleur and shifter Shimano, chain Sram and absolute black oval chainring (not that I think the ring makes a difference) and sunrace cassette. The mixed group shifts so much nicer.