Training schedule

Ok so i have now realize or admit that age is catching up with me or more the lack of a complete body work out. I was too focused on cycling that i neglected the rest of my body. I had a shocking eye opener when i tried to do some push ups , sit ups and lunches now during Lock Down and with more "time" on my hands. Now my question to all hubbers:

How often are you doing what , and for how long is your sessions. I need some solutions for my situation because i think after an idt session i am finished with my training.

Sorry if this was discussed previously , but seeing we have a lot of time on our hands please fire away!!! :clap:  :w00t:

i try to do 15-20 minutes 3X a week before shorter training sessions, i.e. idt ride or a run.  pushups, pull-ups, bodyweight squats or lunges and plank and/or some ab stuff.  I use a stopwatch and try to start sets at 1 minute or 1.5 minute intervals

don't leave it for after your idt session, you're likely to skip it then

I do no gym work ( exercise as such ) but put in about 3 X 1000m swims in weekly .From September to March and nothing in winter . I dont feel any difference in my body strength except that my stamina drops off slightly in winter .  

Every Monday evening I do 120 sit ups and 100 push ups. Wednesday I do upper body workout with weights. I also do a lot of physical work ( off loading beer trucks by hand) so my core is super strong.

Ok so i have now realize or admit that age is catching up with me or more the lack of a complete body work out. I was too focused on cycling that i neglected the rest of my body. I had a shocking eye opener when i tried to do some push ups , sit ups and lunches now during Lock Down and with more "time" on my hands. Now my question to all hubbers:

How often are you doing what , and for how long is your sessions. I need some solutions for my situation because i think after an idt session i am finished with my training.

Sorry if this was discussed previously , but seeing we have a lot of time on our hands please fire away!!! :clap:  :w00t:

I was sidelined by a "torn meniscus" ... at least that is how it started.

Turns out the tear in the meniscus is minor, and does not justify an operation

The real reason:

- 15 years of the lekka life ... obesity and generally bad shape of fitness

- 2016 I started cycling .... I knew the history, and due to arthritis I was very careful in gradually increasing the distances.

- 2017 Martiz our then 5 year old godson starts cycling.  So focus changed to riding with him.  So for the next few years it was mostly short rides.

- 2019 I start doing my own longer rides, in addition to riding with Maritz.

- see any pattern ?  Cycling, cycling, and then some more cycling ....

My muscles have been subjected to a very skewed training regime !!

Been attending sessions with a Biokineticist since late February.  I have a series of Land based exercises, as well as a series of Water based exercises.  The first set of each woke up some muscles I never knew I had .... surprising how quick these muscles got back into shape.  Then the next set - WOW !!  This is when the penny dropped for me.These long forgotten muscles needs to be re-built from the "bottom up".  

The wrong exercise can cause injuries, and put back my recovery.

Make no mistake, this is not a two week quick fix.  It takes long hours and a lot of dedication ....

One more thing to consider.  We had our last session just before the lock-down.  VMO on my right leg is now in good shape.  VMO on my left leg is totally under developed !  Might be obvious, in hindsight.  But not the type of stuff you pick up doing sit-ups at home ....  The Bio picked it immediately, stepped back for 5 seconds, then adjusted my program to suit.

YES, this is the extreme case.  But there are enough posts on the Hub of people making a comeback after years on the couch that this may be applicable to some.

PS - the medical council have approved Biokineticists to do Tele-medicine sessions during the Covid19 period.  So it is possible to carry on with video call sessions.  You will need somebody to hold your camera while you do the exercises ...

PPS - most medical aids to pay for these sessions, obviously from the savings account ...

I must learn to incorporate this with my cycling regime......."problem"  is the exercises looks so easy and then i think but how on earth can these things work , before i even try doing them    :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

I must learn to incorporate this with my cycling regime......."problem"  is the exercises looks so easy and then i think but how on earth can these things work , before i even try doing them    :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

YES .... it looks plain BORING ..... but when you do it CORRECTLY your long lost muscles WILL be talking to you tomorrow ....  :whistling:

First thing I learnt .... if it "feels easy" ....STOP, activate core and bum, UN-lock the knees (knees should have a 2-5 degree bend when doing the core muscles), then make sure to have the CORRECT posture ... back straight, shoulders back with an open chest, etc .... and suddenly you "feel" the exercise ....  :thumbup:

I truly enjoy the water sessions !  The land sessions less so, though I do see and experience the benefit from these exercises.

PS - I downloaded the "Tabata interval HIIT timer" app.  It helps me to concentrate on the short term goals ... and before you know it the training session is over ... 

PPS - and I still forget the stretches at the end ....

Edited by ChrisF

Yeah if the sessions are done correctly they really work you.

I train with a buddy of mine who is a PT and cyclist, so he makes sure I'm doing it right.

After a few weeks of adding this to my training, I can already feel a difference on the bike.