Freedom Challenge on a race bike ?!

Lang Frans

I read with interest that Martin Dreyer has set his 2019 Freedom Challenge (2 300 km, 26 day) record of 9 days on a Cannondale Scalpel.

I would have thought that guys tackle these ultra endurance races on more forgiving trail bikes.(relaxed geometry, higher volume tyres)

My guess is that long portage distances give lighter race bikes the edge, but still...

Is Dreyer one of the few ultra endurance guys who follow this strategy?

Would be interesting to know.

I read with interest that Martin Dreyer has set his 2019 Freedom Challenge (2 300 km, 26 day) record of 9 days on a Cannondale Scalpel.

I would have thought that guys tackle these ultra endurance races on more forgiving trail bikes.(relaxed geometry, higher volume tyres)

My guess is that long portage distances give lighter race bikes the edge, but still...

No... I would suggest you want to take the lightest bike possible with the most efficient pedaling.

I have done it on a fully rigid steel hardtail/carbon fork. The terrain isn't technical and you aren't riding trails fast. Hiking your bike for hours also gets challenging if you're on a trail bike.

I think you will find most guys are riding 100mm dual suss/hardtails for 100% pedal efficiency.

The only ultra endurance race I have ever done that would have been rad on a trail bike for a section was Adventure racing world champs 2018 on Reunion Island when we rode/carried our bikes up to and then down the Megavalanche volcano route on one of the last legs... But that is really the only time ever in many many years of racing/competing/mid tabling 

9days!!!!

record is 10days and change, and that was not last year either!

for the record i don't even call it 10days, he got on his bike 11 times

it's like saying Attakwas is a 0 day race

I am with Jewbacca. Nice light soft tail, minimum rear travel literally for efficiency and comfort and 90/100mm up front.

The rest a balance of light and reliable.

Hike a bike with a heavy slack frame with a 140 front end is a pain.