My “Fake” POC Sunglasses

DemitriN

Hey guys wondering if any of you can assist me on this. I’ve had a pair of POC Aspire Sunglasses advertised for sale on bike hub. Last week my ad got pulled off the buy & sell section and I received this message—

“Hi there, We've been informed by the South African POC agent that these are fake. I note you specifically mention they are genuine in your advert. Could you confirm where these were purchased? The advert has been removed pending review.” - Bike Hub

I find this quite strange since they were purchased from a well known & reputable biking sports retail shop in Canada. Is it possible the Canadians are selling POC rip offs? How can one tell the genuine eyewear from the non-genuine? I looked online but all I could find is EOC’s :-)

I replied assuring them the product is genuine and asking for the South African POC agents contact details. As of yet no one has gotten back to me. Does anyone know on what basis the agent is claiming the POCs are fake? I’m quite intrigued!

post-60408-0-29568200-1585916849_thumb.jpeg

post-60408-0-08248000-1585916979_thumb.jpeg

post-60408-0-14696800-1585918477_thumb.jpeg

If I had to spitball here I would say the sticker on the lens. I have bought a couple of top end glasses but never had a sticker on any of the lenses as I think people could damage the lens when removing it. But that's just me I am no glasses expert.

I have a pair of Aspires myself and cannot see any fake / replica features from the pics

Let us know when the local distributor specifies

Out of curiosity, which online store in Canada did you use? I want to look at their site and see if they selling fake merchandise. 

I actually had a look at your sunglasses and were quite keen to put in a offer at one stage, but did some research and couldn't find that coloured reference anywhere, other than some suspicious looking sites. There are some visual cues that might prove or not that the are fake, these photos are from the pocsports website. 

post-9490-0-52966100-1585926252_thumb.png

post-9490-0-07350800-1585926259_thumb.png

post-9490-0-54767100-1585926266_thumb.png

Out of curiosity, which online store in Canada did you use? I want to look at their site and see if they selling fake merchandise.

It was a biking, skiing and sports shop in Toronto not online

I actually had a look at your sunglasses and were quite keen to put in a offer at one stage, but did some research and couldn't find that coloured reference anywhere, other than some suspicious looking sites. There are some visual cues that might prove or not that the are fake, these photos are from the pocsports website.

I see them on this German website. Seems they are 2018 model.

https://www.lovehurtsbikes.de/bekleidung/poc-aspire-hydrogene-white-brille.html

Also on Amazon Canada & UK...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POC-Aspire-Originals-Glasses-Hydrogen/dp/B07B1SRXV4

And Amazon Canada...

https://www.amazon.ca/POC-Aspire-Originals-Cycling-Sunglasses/dp/B07B1SRXV4

Item model no is OLAS2018042BGM1

Hey guys wondering if any of you can assist me on this. I’ve had a pair of POC Aspire Sunglasses advertised for sale on bike hub. Last week my ad got pulled off the buy & sell section and I received this message—

“Hi there, We've been informed by the South African POC agent that these are fake. I note you specifically mention they are genuine in your advert. Could you confirm where these were purchased? The advert has been removed pending review.” - Bike Hub

I find this quite strange since they were purchased from a well known & reputable biking sports retail shop in Canada. Is it possible the Canadians are selling POC rip offs? How can one tell the genuine eyewear from the non-genuine? I looked online but all I could find is EOC’s :-)

I replied assuring them the product is genuine and asking for the South African POC agents contact details. As of yet no one has gotten back to me. Does anyone know on what basis the agent is claiming the POCs are fake? I’m quite intrigued!

I hate to say it, but I think they might be right. Lettering looks off, and as mentioned before, that particular colour scheme doesn't exist in the POC catalogue. Also, the transition from yellow to white on the ear piece seems a bit crude and not very neat. Just a guess though, talking from a layman's perspective

Edited by Craai

Current model for sale on on POC website without green tips

PDP-ASP2012_Aspire-1001_HydrogenWhite_Vi

Edited by 'Dale

If I had to spitball here I would say the sticker on the lens. I have bought a couple of top end glasses but never had a sticker on any of the lenses as I think people could damage the lens when removing it. But that's just me I am no glasses expert.

All my Oakleys have had a sticker on the lens...

Care to name the shop? I'll be in Toronto in the next few month (Covid-19 depending). I would be keen to pop past the store and have a look

Care to name the shop? I'll be in Toronto in the next few month (Covid-19 depending). I would be keen to pop past the store and have a look

Thanks for the offer. I have a family member who regularly goes there. Am following up!