Building Single Speed Wheel

pieterrossouw03

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of building another wheel with a single speed free hub, any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Pieter

Might be cheaper to buy one from rook cycles with a flip flop hub. Best of both worlds then.

Why do you want to go with a single speed specific hub?

There are single speed kits available with spacers and cogs to convert a normal hub to single speed use.

I got my parts from Rapidé to do this.

Build with a normal hub and use spacers - much more versatile and easier to sell afterwards

This, but if you use a narrow cog, it may dig into a soft aluminium freewheel as there isn't a cassette to spread the load. Hope make a harder, steel (I think) freewheel which solves the problem, go for that or get a cog with a broad base.

What they say above is true... 

But Ive always loved my SS specific wheels.. they just better. 

But this all depends, I only have SS bikes, have no intention of putting gears on anything, ever. 

This, but if you use a narrow cog, it may dig into a soft aluminium freewheel as there isn't a cassette to spread the load. Hope make a harder, steel (I think) freewheel which solves the problem, go for that or get a cog with a broad base.

This is a consideration as well. 

Use good quality SS cogs... 

Rapide do a well priced SS wide based cog.

This is a consideration as well. 

Use good quality SS cogs... 

Who/what do you use please?

SS specific everything is better if you going to ride a lot .I have a firefly hub and cogs .The hub is closer to a super boost hub .I use BMX chains only 

Hope do a SS specific hub as well.

A dedicated SS hub will be way better than a standard and adaptor, both in terms of durability - better bracing angle, stronger ratchet system, and proper interface between sprocket and driver.