Dedicated Optical Heart Rate Monitor

Stretch

My garmin chest HRM is starting to become unreliable to such a point that I simply cannot trust its readings. I have regular 200 spikes in the middles of activities and then periods of low HR. I have done everything - replaced the strap - tried the polar strap - washed the strap - cuddled the strap - replaced the battery - shorted the pins on the unit...you name it. Added to that - I get rub from the strap which leaves raw skin. I have been keeping my eye on the dedicated optical bands for a while now and I want to take the plunge.

All i need is to submit HR readings to my watch (FR230). The schochse rhythm + does a lot of extra things but the battery life is only 8 hours and the rhythm 24, while it has a longer battery life is about $20 more than I want to spend.

Other options are the Polar OH1+ with a 12 hour battery

Wahoo Kickr FIT with a 30 hour battery

The wahoo kickr has no data storing facilities or HRV calculating and just sends the HR data to the watch - which is all i want.

All review recommend the OH1, but i dont want to be charging the strap 2 or 3 times a week in a years time - or eventually the strap not even lasting a full marathon.

back of mind says go for the polar, but the wahoo long battery life is very appealing.

Anyone using any of these and what are your opinions

I been using the OH1, been working well for a whole. Got it because it works in the pool. Not sure how old it is but you can't really expect rechargeable to last forever. Their lifespan entirely depends on how often you use it, they have a finite number of recharge cycles, once its done it's done.

I been using the OH1, been working well for a whole. Got it because it works in the pool. Not sure how old it is but you can't really expect rechargeable to last forever. Their lifespan entirely depends on how often you use it, they have a finite number of recharge cycles, once its done it's done.

Yeah i get that - i guess i would like something I buy to last as long as possible - I am very anti consumerism. How did you find the comfort of the OH1? have you experienced it "flipping over" as some have reported?

If i was you I would look at getting a new watch which includes the built in optical sensor.

Its going to happen one day....

That being said... I have a hardly used garmin strap and sensor as per picture below in "like new"  :D  condition that I have hardly used (Polar fiend i am). The battery (CR2032) will most likely need to be changed purely due to age. It came with a garmin edge bike computer i bought many years ago and hardly used it.

You are welcome to have it for free... or just the postage costs from Switz to ROI

post-182-0-81909700-1586186379_thumb.jpg

Yeah i get that - i guess i would like something I buy to last as long as possible - I am very anti consumerism. How did you find the comfort of the OH1? have you experienced it "flipping over" as some have reported?

I've had my OH1 for nearly 2 years now, and use it daily. I forget I'm wearing it, the most comfortable HR monitor I've ever used.

I have only once had it flip over and fall out in a pool - luckily.

When doing sea-swims and Silvermine (dam) swims, it's under the wet-suit, and stays in place.

Another awesome feature, especially with swimming is recording directly onto the OH1 and simultaneously onto the watch (polar v800), thus no erratic recordings when swimming.

I've had my OH1 for nearly 2 years now, and use it daily. I forget I'm wearing it, the most comfortable HR monitor I've ever used.

I have only once had it flip over and fall out in a pool - luckily.

When doing sea-swims and Silvermine (dam) swims, it's under the wet-suit, and stays in place.

Another awesome feature, especially with swimming is recording directly onto the OH1 and simultaneously onto the watch (polar v800), thus no erratic recordings when swimming.

How often do you charge it after 2 years?.. You might have just made up my mind

If i was you I would look at getting a new watch which includes the built in optical sensor.

Its going to happen one day....

That being said... I have a hardly used garmin strap and sensor as per picture below in "like new" :D condition that I have hardly used (Polar fiend i am). The battery (CR2032) will most likely need to be changed purely due to age. It came with a garmin edge bike computer i bought many years ago and hardly used it.

You are welcome to have it for free... or just the postage costs from Switz to ROI

attachicon.gifgarmin.JPG

Thanks for the offer Swiss... I'm tending away from one of those because of the skin rub I get. I also looked at the cost implications of upgrading and I decided that there is nothing wrong with my watch. I bought it for the reason of lasting many many years

How often do you charge it after 2 years?.. You might have just made up my mind

I use it between 2 and 4 hours daily, and charge it every 3rd day, or twice a week. If I'm doing a 4 or 5 hour training session I'll do a full recharge beforehand just for safety's sake. I bought an extra USB charging cup for the office for when the warning light blinks as I reach the office on the morning commute.

You need to remember to switch it off though. It's so comfortable that often after I stop my watch I forget about switching it off if I don't remove it. When you remove it, it auto switches "off". 

I've not noticed any difference in usage time between charges yet.

I use it between 2 and 4 hours daily, and charge it every 3rd day, or twice a week. If I'm doing a 4 or 5 hour training session I'll do a full recharge beforehand just for safety's sake. I bought an extra USB charging cup for the office for when the warning light blinks as I reach the office on the morning commute.

You need to remember to switch it off though. It's so comfortable that often after I stop my watch I forget about switching it off if I don't remove it. When you remove it, it auto switches "off".

I've not noticed any difference in usage time between charges yet.

Brilliant thanks Eddie. DC rainmaker recommends it out of the three... And you've definitely made my mind up

Thanks for the offer Swiss... I'm tending away from one of those because of the skin rub I get. I also looked at the cost implications of upgrading and I decided that there is nothing wrong with my watch. I bought it for the reason of lasting many many years

Ok enjoy the OH1, if you ever change your mind it will most probably still be hanging in our training room with all the other straps....

Only times it's ever flipped over for me was in the pool when my right arms forward and I do a hard kick off the wall. As for comfort I generally forget its there.

For some gym activities I found it more accurate than my fennix, the sensor refresh rate on watch seems to be too low for explosive workouts. So think like BWT, xfit or weights I use the strap, Running and Cycling I have compared them a lot and the highest discrepancy I have seen was 1bpm.

I have also compared my watch to the chest strap and seen the same variance so if it where not for swimming and gym I'd see no need for it.

Personally prefer a watch and the chest straps is only slightly less unpleasant than getting kicked in the nutz.