RockShox Updates DebonAir Air Spring For 2021

News bot

Weird. I've ordered, received and fitted about 6 so far, all from local agent. They've sold out now though, more on the way as soon as current international air freight dogshow allows.

Not had much feedback yet, but will update here once I've heard back.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. I've ordered, received and fitted about 6 so far, all from local agent. They've sold out now though, more on the way as soon as current international air freight dogshow allows.

Not had much feedback yet, but will update here once I've heard back.

I'm talking about the current situation Andrew (post corona). Because you and I have been trying to get a 150mm version for almost a full month now or what am I missing? That's why you went ahead with the damper upgrade on my fork as we could not find any stock of the air shafts. Please let me know if this has changed since I'm VERY keen.

They're only available as upgrade kits for now, not as complete spring assemblies, and the 150mm Debonair springs have been out of stock for ages.

The issue with your fork is that the kit ins't compatible with your spring.

But we'll be all over it as soon as the next shipment lands.

They're only available as upgrade kits for now, not as complete spring assemblies, and the 150mm Debonair springs have been out of stock for ages.

The issue with your fork is that the kit ins't compatible with your spring.

But we'll be all over it as soon as the next shipment lands.

Aah okay, that makes sense. Thanks man

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread...

How much does these Debonair and Charger 2/2.1 upgrades cost? I have a 140 mm 2014 non-boost Pike RCT3 and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

How much does these Debonair and Charger 2/2.1 upgrades cost? I have a 140 mm 2014 non-boost Pike RCT3 and I'm wondering if it is worth it.

I've done the charger 2.1 upgrade on the same fork as you and believe me....it's way worth it. Never knew my Pike could feel this good. And this is without the debonair upgrade still since I'm waiting for stock.

Damper and installation was just under 5k in my case but not sure if the exchange rate etc pushed that up. Air shaft upgrade will probably be around the 1k mark give or take a couple of hundred ZAR

About R 4k for the part (extras may vary depending on what else needs doing), and definitely worth the effort.

How many Tokens you running?

Running no tokens at the moment. I managed to use full travel a couple of times, but that was only when hitting a certain G-out on my home trails so fast I almost blacked out from the Gforces :)

I rode Helderberg 2 weeks ago and only got about 120mm even after bonking some of the jumps. I dropped 3-5 psi before hitting Jonkershoek this weekend, and although the fork felt more comfortable on the smaller stuff, and not really harsh on the big stuff, Its just not using that last 25mm which is not a train smash, but I'd like to believe if it does what the new MK3 Airspring says, it should be pretty good. I'll be sure to comment once I've tested it. I can always throw a token back in, but one cant take more out right now. 

Running no tokens at the moment. I managed to use full travel a couple of times, but that was only when hitting a certain G-out on my home trails so fast I almost blacked out from the Gforces :)

I rode Helderberg 2 weeks ago and only got about 120mm even after bonking some of the jumps. I dropped 3-5 psi before hitting Jonkershoek this weekend, and although the fork felt more comfortable on the smaller stuff, and not really harsh on the big stuff, Its just not using that last 25mm which is not a train smash, but I'd like to believe if it does what the new MK3 Airspring says, it should be pretty good. I'll be sure to comment once I've tested it. I can always throw a token back in, but one cant take more out right now. 

You just need to eat more pies.an extra 15kg would go a long way towards using the rest of your travel.

Thanks, it seems like a worthy upgrade but part of me is wondering if I shouldn't just save that money for the next bike.

About R 4k for the part (extras may vary depending on what else needs doing), and definitely worth the effort.

Hans I went from the C1 RCT3, to the C2 RCT3, and must admit, the biggest performance gain might have come from the new airspring (I had the DPA though). The C2 damper has a softer compression tune, which is more comfortable at "supportive" spring pressures, If that makes sense. Which is nice for me, but im a lightweight and you might not want/need that.

Apparently C2.1's tune is even softer and you might have to get it custom tuned firmer anyway, since the original C1's shimstack would have been perfect for you. The Debonair II or III does make sense though and you will enjoy that.

So, my answer would be, get the latest debonair spring, and get your damper custom tuned for a win-win. The Newer boost fork is nice and wide looking though, Looks a bit more "stout" incase you were just itching for something new.

You just need to eat more pies.an extra 15kg would go a long way towards using the rest of your travel.

Haha, maybe..maybe.. Maybeee I just ride so smoothly :ph34r: I have been riding it pretty firm to be honest. Trying to keep it high in the travel. I took the C2 damper out a while ago to do the "MTBR-light rebound tune" and put the Moco back in, I couldn't bottom that out either :clap: So perhaps its something to do with the Pies.

Thanks, it seems like a worthy upgrade but part of me is wondering if I shouldn't just save that money for the next bike.

If you're planning on a new bike in the near future, don't put any cash into current bike upgrades. Just keep it well-maintained and running smoothly... Save excess for the new willy raiser.

TLDR: So it sounds like it's worth spending R5k on my 2019 150mm Pike RC?

As a vendor of fork upgrades my opinion is biased, but yes.

LOL really?!!

I know you're a Shimano dealer but please get a balance.

Shimano:

-peeling derailleur cables

- exploding Dura Ace and Ultegra shifters

- Seizing rear derailleur jockey cages

- cranks arms separating

- Brake caliper bolts cracking

and they never issue recalls because according to them , everything is end user abuse LOL

If only Shimano actually produced forks and rear shocks for you to actually have some skin in the game.

Wierdly enough all the problems you mention sound like roadbike issues. Personally i dont know of anyone with those problems.

However. Sram rs compenents plenty of issues. For example and fox has also not been known for there lack of problems to be fair.