Corona business think tank

Wayne pudding Mol

I want to go for a glass half full (with a slight crack) question.

But if you had to start a business on Tuesday, what would it be?

auction house

edit* sorry I'm not so cheerful this morning

Edited by Waynemol

I want to go for a glass half full (with a slight crack) question.

But if you had to start a business on Tuesday 14 April, after Cyril has announced an additional 2 week lockdown and the possibility of another 2 weeks, what would it be?

What business opportunities can you see or possibly see ?

Auction house .... I like it. Somerset West already has some big players.

Do you think you could get something going in an informal settlement ?

The money might not be as big, but there could be demand. Although the source of your goods might be a bit dodge.

pawn shop, auction house, car repo business, cheap hostel accommodation, mortuary, black market currency trader, hitman

***I'll just give myself a warning for being so negative

in my defence, the wife and I got hammered last night and turned the lounge into a moshpit. And hangovers = depression which in conjunction with depression makes my disposition less than sunny today

11 year old daughter has been looking at me skeef this morning because whilst I drink, I seldom over indulge these days.

Non Toxic  disinfectants!    

No Kidding.   I have the opportunity.

was a company in cape town called Pro Bio or something like that that did this brilliantly but went out of business.  Maybe they were too soon and too pricey.

People with a conscience are often price compromised.  Like eating organic, it comes at a price

Maybe I can adapt my injection moulders and make you bottles   :whistling:

Something in education. It is in for a major shake up and it will be exciting to be part of the new world education.

Probably start with some online high school maths and science tutoring, because very few parents can help their kids with that. (primary school home schooling is pretty well taken care of) Really try make it fun and exciting. Then expand to varsity tutoring also, again, in the undergraduate subjects students struggle with, like maths, physics and chemistry. Possibly buy really good notes for each subject, from the top students in each subject over the last few years and use that and past papers to prepare my customers / clients for tests and exams. Get the best teachers and lecturers to help me do it.

Non Toxic  disinfectants!    

No Kidding.   I have the opportunity.

How ?

And market saturation ? My one staff member bought disinfectants and now cannot give the stuff away as everyone has some !

Something in education. It is in for a major shake up and it will be exciting to be part of the new world education.

Probably start with some online high school maths and science tutoring, because very few parents can help their kids with that. (primary school home schooling is pretty well taken care of) Really try make it fun and exciting. Then expand to varsity tutoring also, again, in the undergraduate subjects students struggle with, like maths, physics and chemistry. Possibly buy really good notes for each subject, from the top students in each subject over the last few years and use that and past papers to prepare my customers / clients for tests and exams. Get the best teachers and lecturers to help me do it.

Can you get this concept up by Tuesday 14?

And to take it further - UBER type educational app for township kids ?

You list your name as a tutor, they pay the app per 30 min, maybe 4 kids at  time ? Use some kind of facetime program ?

Wheel and deal. The sheer amount of bargains right now on FB Marketplace is staggering. If you have the capital to buy now and hold on for a while you can make a killing. Just two things, know your product and make sure you have the channels to offload it quickly again.

Many years ago I attended a talk at UCT ... the professor said without the necessary control SA will eventually become a second Nigeria ....

So my first thought now was to google the most profitable Nigerian businesses ... 

https://myafribusiness.com/35-most-profitable-businesses-in-nigeria-with-high-demand/

apart from item 1 which seems Nigeria specific, the rest are not opportunities here

Whatever your target market you will have to make sure that market has money to spend Reminds me that when we were youngsters me and friends were discussing ways of getting rich . We decided that the solution was to make/sell something for 50c that every township dweller wants .

We never cracked it sadly .

Edited by Prince Albert Cycles

how many of them would work within the current lockdown space and beyond ?

apart from item 1 which seems Nigeria specific, the rest are not opportunities here

mmm ... my thinking was simply that spending would be on necessities post lock-down/covid-19, and that a large part of Nigeria's business was built on necessity  ;) 

I like the idea of online tutoring above ....