Servicing Rockshox. Must I use sram butter?

edkin

I would like to service my Rockshox recon. I collected all the spares and the oils, but, I've just realised that I don't have any Sram butter that all youtube videos use. Is there an alternative grease I can use?

Thanks in anticipation

Slickhoney , its exactly the same thing 

you could get away with using red rubber grease but it's super thick and not as slippery as slickhoney 

Tried silicone grease once when servicing some dirt bike forks. Never again, that stuff if thick and sticky and resulted in plenty of stiction. I’d hold off to get the real stuff unless you have a really thin grease that is o-ring and seal friendly

Slick honey, slickoleum and sram butter are all the same thing. Motorex Prep M is another alternative. Red rubber will work in a pinch, but besides that there's not much else that's thin enough.

What do you have in your collection?

I got a tip from bike mechanic to mix the red rubber grease with little bit of fox front shock oil. Make te grease thinner and more slippery. Did it and work well.

Slick honey, slickoleum and sram butter are all the same thing. Motorex Prep M is another alternative. Red rubber will work in a pinch, but besides that there's not much else that's thin enough.

What do you have in your collection?

I have got red rubber but I took a look at it and wasn't enthusiastic about using it.

Where would I be able to get these other alternatives? At the local Midas??

Edited by edkin

No debate from me, and definitely none from my cash flow...

Hopefully there are tons of guys out there servicing their forks with olive oil and bearing grease that will be visiting your shop soon to help them repair what they have broken :P