MTB - 11 speed cluster

WhuYu

Hi guys..........I have a 11speed MTB..................and from I can see with my simple mind.....seems to be a 10 speed chain. Is this correct/possible? Or, must one have a 11 speed chain on 11 speed cluster? Your input will be appreciated.

The chains gets "narrower" as you have more gears at the back.

So an 11-speed cassette should have an 11-speed chain.  A 12 speed chain also works on 11-speed cassette.

I think 6, 7 and 8 was the same, and used the same quick link .... or was that 7, 8 and 9 .... ?

The chains gets "narrower" as you have more gears at the back.

So an 11-speed cassette should have an 11-speed chain.  A 12 speed chain also works on 11-speed cassette.

I think 6, 7 and 8 was the same, and used the same quick link .... or was that 7, 8 and 9 .... ?

Thank you sir...........so, a 10 speed chain  will NOT work on 11 speed cluster...........correct?

It will work, but not optimally. Shifting will be better with the correct chain

This. You'll find the total width of the links at the widest point is slightly narrower the more cogs are on the back. It's just that total width that changes, the internal width of the links stays the same across most "speeds" of chain.

It will work, but not optimally. Shifting will be better with the correct chain

Yes.

The wider 10 speed chain on a 11 speed cassette will not be optimal to say the least. As soon as the angle of the chain is not close to 90 deg (read cross chain) the chain will hook onto the bigger gear. Hop skip and jump.