Your recommendation for bib shorts and longs

The Ghost

I have 4 pairs of vye mirage bibs I had made for my epic 2016 kit. Thousands of km in those. Chamois still fine, no lumps or broken pads.

If the chamois is collapsing after 2or 3 washes and the lycra is breaking down then it sound like too high a water temperature?

I cold wash all my cycling kit.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciovita for the win! Keep a look on OneDayOnly, every now and again they have specials. I got a bib on special last week for R1300 (normal price R1800).

The bibs are all brilliant! I rode the last Trans Baviaans and my bum was the least painful part of my entire body.

Another killer for any extruded/mercerized  and elasticated fabric is the ever present fabric softener.

If you wash any of your cycling clothes using fabric softener you will destroy them quickly. Especially if you're not cold washing.

This includes the old '2 in 1' and other built in detergent/softeners. 

On 10/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, ouzo said:

is the bib hand washed or machine washed ?

What is "hand washed"? In all seriousness I wash all my clothing in a detergent for sports clothes. It's a liquid one. I can't remember the brand but it's freely available. And I never ever ever ever use fabric softner. The softner makes a stodgy mess and stank producing bacteria lives in there. Also no cycling kit in the tumble drier ever!

My better half also washes our towels with bicarb and vinegar from time to time to break down that stodge from fabric softner.

I like my Vye kit. The subtle not too loud not looking like a wannabe pro billboard works for me. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 1 year later...

any recommended long lasting and good value bibs for longer rides like 6-8 hours ?

pricing and qaulity balance

12 minutes ago, Heeldrop said:

any recommended long lasting and good value bibs for longer rides like 6-8 hours ?

pricing and qaulity balance

Seems like Ciovita Corsa 2.0 seems like the best at the moment, few people have been complaining about Assos quality lately 

Edit: Also quite a lot of people have shared the opinion that putting your bibs in a wash bag and cold water seems to extend the lifespan notably 

Edited by Pandatron

On 10/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Duane_Bosch said:

What is "hand washed"? In all seriousness I wash all my clothing in a detergent for sports clothes. It's a liquid one. I can't remember the brand but it's freely available. And I never ever ever ever use fabric softner. The softner makes a stodgy mess and stank producing bacteria lives in there. Also no cycling kit in the tumble drier ever!

My better half also washes our towels with bicarb and vinegar from time to time to break down that stodge from fabric softner.

I like my Vye kit. The subtle not too loud not looking like a wannabe pro billboard works for me. 

I use a sportswear wash from a brand called So Pure, you get it at Dischem, I think its about R100 and you get 25 washes out of it. Cycling kit is washed seperately on a handwash cycle in the machine and kit is left to dry undercover out of direct sunlight. Current kit is still looking as good as the day I bought it.

4 hours ago, Pandatron said:

Seems like Ciovita Corsa 2.0 seems like the best at the moment, few people have been complaining about Assos quality lately 

Edit: Also quite a lot of people have shared the opinion that putting your bibs in a wash bag and cold water seems to extend the lifespan notably 

Had the Ciovita Corsa ... took it back due to stitching issues after a few rides.  The replaced it, then I got to experience their inconsistent sizing ....

My Assos bib is simply way better.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:47 AM, The Ouzo said:

Spandex still seems good and I actually got the wife to check "see throughness" the other day and can report its still good.…

Trying HARD to get the picture out of my mind; you bending over double, and your Wife checking for ‘crack visibility’….🤣

Edited by Zebra

• 2 months later...

Got semi excited when Ciovita sent a “25% off for Father’s Day” mailer this AM, only to find that literally all the kit on sale is marked up by at least 25% since the same time last year.

With the euro pounding the zar at R20, I’m imagining the importation of Italian Lycra must be driving much of this increase, but looking at the spot pricing on castelli and the like their prices are much the same.

I have a pair of Castelli's and two Ciovita bibs.  Before that I rode Craft (which is rubbish) and Rapid Sports (not bad considering the price).  

The Ciovita and Castelli bibs were a game changer for me.  My arse thanked me for spending a bit more for infinitely better.  I bought all of them on special over a period.

5 hours ago, Kom said:

Got semi excited when Ciovita sent a “25% off for Father’s Day” mailer this AM, only to find that literally all the kit on sale is marked up by at least 25% since the same time last year.

With the euro pounding the zar at R20, I’m imagining the importation of Italian Lycra must be driving much of this increase, but looking at the spot pricing on castelli and the like their prices are much the same.

https://rapidsport.co.za/product-category/shop-men/cycling-shop-men/bottoms-cycling-shop-men/

VERY happy with their cycling shorts.  Holds up very well, even during a 100.miler

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

https://rapidsport.co.za/product-category/shop-men/cycling-shop-men/bottoms-cycling-shop-men/

VERY happy with their cycling shorts.  Holds up very well, even during a 100.miler

appreciate this but im a huge fan of cargo bibs - the leg pockets are my trash can, the built in back pockets perfectly fit tools an phone so my shirt has literally no dangly bits.

not many makes who do a product like this (at ZA prices).

cargo shorts.webp

28 minutes ago, Kom said:

appreciate this but im a huge fan of cargo bibs - the leg pockets are my trash can, the built in back pockets perfectly fit tools an phone so my shirt has literally no dangly bits.

not many makes who do a product like this (at ZA prices).

cargo shorts.webp

A fellow Hubber is 2,05m tall ... looking at cycling tops.

XXL fits the shoulders, but obviously way too short.  Once the length is sorted it is simply way too large .... they indicated normal price+ R100 to take it in ....

Thats the nice part of it when the shop is on the same floor as the factory.

Speak to them .... maybe they have something, or can make a plan for you.