[Event] The v361 ULTRA Challenge

JohanDiv

Event Name: The v361 ULTRA Challenge

When: 24 April 2020

Where: Stay Home!, Western Cape

Category: Virtual Ride

We aren't able to race the 36ONE MTB Challenge on Friday 24th April due to the COVID-19 lockdown but we can ride the v361 Ultra on Zwift instead ... and do it for a cause. So on Friday 24th April 3pm we will set off on our indoor trainers to complete 361kms and see who finished first in support of SA Harvest.

So the basic rules:

• RACE takes place on 24th April at 3pm and you have time to complete the 361km until Sunday 3am.

• 5 x Pretzel Route on Zwift (361km and 6600m ascent) – start point to be finalized, will confirm

• Checkpoint at every 50km’s – simply capture your time at that point into an online form which everyone will have access to view

• Everyone has to have (v360km+) behind their names on Zwift

• The guys racing must submit weight (picture of weight on scale) – without that, there’s no result

• Registration process will be online – which will be open to view (so you know who to target!)

• Everyone racing on in-game mountain bikes

• Category to separate smart trainers/power meters and dumb trainers

We may add to the above list, but for now that’s the approach!

Knowing WHY you are riding can be a massive motivator to finish an Ultra event. So how about we ride for a cause to get us through those dark witching hours, knowing our pedal strokes are doing more than moving us forward (even though we’re going nowhere ).

COVID-19 has stopped us from being in Oudtshoorn, so why don’t we ride for a C19 cause? Hunger is becoming a bigger problem. NGO’s like SA Harvest are doing good work in distributing food and parcels nationwide, but they need more support!

Zwift tracks our calories burnt in pizza slices, so I propose that we pay forward our calories burnt by raising funds for SA Harvest, earning “pizza slices” for those who are hungry!

A backabuddy campaign is already up and running to support: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/v361-ultra

For more info and to join the whatsapp group: https://chat.whatsapp.com/FmKNsScnOKmDErowHKCE0F (Ask Dion or Aiden, the organizers for more info)

Online form to be completed: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfN6nff9CsKppYq206mw9u2nxyOxYXza0Jyjgxgmv0nHIo8dg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Go to Event Page

Edited by JohanDiv

Spots aren't limited (we won't be using a Zwift meetup), so we can have any number of riders pull in.

Correct!! I'll edit original post.  :thumbup:

Eish this is evil as it is tempting, I was signed up for my first 36One. But 361km on the trainer, riding the pretzel, that sounds nasty. I can only imagine what that radio antennae climb feels like on lap 5.

Do us okes living at altitude get to lower our weight by a few kgs? :-)

Seriously though, good luck to everyone who takes part, and I hope you are successful in your fund raising.

On a lighter note, pls remember to take the background into account when stepping on the scale, and taking a photo, once it hits the web, it's there forever

Especially if your scale is "shiny" and you don't wear underpants...must go and look for THAT IG picture...

This will be a Strava only event?

Anyone interested in doing this on the actual route on Rouvy?

We will be doing it on Rouvy starting Friday afternoon. There will be an event created.

We will be doing it on Rouvy starting Friday afternoon. There will be an event created.

You mean a Zwift event only? Yes.

A lot more people using Zwift than Rouvy unfortunately.

Enjoy your ride and good luck! 

Hi

I imported last year's 36one route to Rouvy.

It imported fine, however the top down satellite view doesn't inspire net to ride it.

Have you managed a different more engaging visual?

Hi

I imported last year's 36one route to Rouvy.

It imported fine, however the top down satellite view doesn't inspire net to ride it.

Have you managed a different more engaging visual?

Nope its a boring overhead on Google maps

But there is always youtube to entertain you - we did it with C2T this past weekend

The great part is you ride the actual route on actual elevations and it will show on Strava. Dont think the Zwift guys will ride the actual route they will do laps of some artificial route.

Nope its a boring overhead on Google maps

But there is always youtube to entertain you - we did it with C2T this past weekend

The great part is you ride the actual route on actual elevations and it will show on Strava. Dont think the Zwift guys will ride the actual route they will do laps of some artificial route.

Come join us in Zwift guys. Over 100ppl registered already and close on R20k in funds raised for SA Harvest. We're riding 5x Pretzel route to get 361kms - the objective isn't to mimic the 36one challenge as much to ride 360kms+ while in lockdown.

I've entered as a non racer, will there still be a position / time list issued at the end to see where we came on the 'fun' ride!