Help me with a lekke Hardtail

Joe Soap

I've got an itch that's getting worse and worse and it's not one of those where a GP can help.

I'm seriously looking at buying a trail-HT but me knowledge in this sector is very limited.

I'm also still on the fence whether it is better to buy complete or buy a frame and build from there.

Best of-the-shelf option that I'm aware of is the Silverback Slade Trail (R24k), are there any other contenders in this space? Can't see myself spending more than 30k for a hardtail play bike.

What options are there for buying a frame and build from there? Will need to buy at least frame, wheels and fork (have the rest of the bits).

Looks like the local market for these trail oriented HT also doesn't provide for a big variety.

Any opinions welcome

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What size are you?

For the right price I have a NINER ROS9, Pike rct3 and other bits and pieces.....

It's a medium.

Wasn't going to sell, but with the way things are going if the price is right.............  :ph34r:

I'm also super tempted with this;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/394771/2018-trek-stache-97-m

Edited by Jewbacca

Have a look at this thread for some inspiration - at least the more recent posts.

The Slade is a good option and has a good local following. Unfortunately I don't think there are many local options in the party hardtail category though but there are some (Trek and Niner as Jewbacca has indicated).

There is also Dartmoor which Trail Tech Cycles can assist with (frame only or full build), but there would likely be a waiting period for this irrespective of the current climate. Otherwise there are plenty frame only options that you could consider if you're willing to import on you own - but with the way the ZAR is going this could be a costly exercise.

Check out the On-One frames for example https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/mountain-bike-frames

I think Trail tech also have a Kona Honza frame floating around.... If you can go steel.

The compliance keeps the rear end a little more planted.

Otherwise they had some Kona Honza carbon builds which are amazing. 

Cotic make some really fun steel bikes, Ragley in CRC are the original party hardtail and the new frames look fantastic. 

I would stay away from the really crazy slack and long bikes. SA just doesn't offer steep enough trails to make pedaling those around worth while.

Otherwise Dave Mercer will make you something......

What size are you?

For the right price I have a NINER ROS9, Pike rct3 and other bits and pieces.....

It's a medium.

Wasn't going to sell, but with the way things are going if the price is right.............  :ph34r:

I'm also super tempted with this;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/394771/2018-trek-stache-97-m

Thanks Jewy but will have to be a large frame.

Agreed with avoiding the slack/long travel comment, anything over 140mm would be overkill  

I had more or less the same requirement. After weeks of searching, I bought a Merida Big Nine XT edition 1x12 2020. Ticked all my boxes. Just through in a set of decent Maxxis tubeless tyres and maybe a Lyne dropper post, and you should have a good combo for about your price range. Oh.....and did I mention the bike is all black?

Sorry, I know the Big Nine is more of a XC bike, but I think it also depends on the level of trails you are planning to ride.

Not sure what the price will end up being, or when it might reach us but the new Orbea Laufey look very nice!

Had the same idea but never had the budget for full bike out of the shop. I brought in a Dartmoor Primal frame from Bike24 about 2 years ago for reasonably cheap. Built up with a few good deals here and there.

End result is a very reliable "fun" bike.

post-30349-0-39553300-1587642775_thumb.jpg

Had the same idea but never had the budget for full bike out of the shop. I brought in a Dartmoor Primal frame from Bike24 about 2 years ago for reasonably cheap. Built up with a few good deals here and there.

End result is a very reliable "fun" bike.

That's the one!

Like the Dartmoor frames.

On-one Scandal is also contender from geo point of view but thinking exchange rate will be the killer.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOSC29V3/on-one-scandal-29er-mtb-frame

Not really interested in anything less than 120mm travel, then I'll just keep the one I have now/