Help me with a lekke Hardtail

Joe Soap

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Commi' Metas are good fun and don't ride 'big'. Really good bikes. 

These Honzo's have been about a bit sio maybe there is some wriggle room seeing as everyone is trying to make a buck. 

https://trailtechcycles.co.za/products/kona-bikes-honzo-st-29-frameset-green-gold

What kind of terrain and riding is it aimed at? I've seen those Slades going for R19K. Maybe give Bike Addict in Malmsbury a call, they can often do a damn good deal. 

Edited by Yo-Yo

For the right price I have a NINER ROS9, Pike rct3 and other bits and pieces.....

It's a medium.

Wasn't going to sell, but with the way things are going if the price is right.............  :ph34r:

I'm also super tempted with this;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/394771/2018-trek-stache-97-m

Jeez, that is a great frame....  Love the fact you might have to sell because of the way things are going then the very next line is a new frame you fancy!  :clap: 

What would the right price be I wonder? 

Jeez, that is a great frame....  Love the fact you might have to sell because of the way things are going then the very next line is a new frame you fancy!  :clap:

What would the right price be I wonder? 

Hahahaha

I run it SS with a 140mm fork, both non boost so I have somewhere for my Chris King hubs to hang out.... It is an amazingly rad bike but it's also the 'plus 1' unnecessary addition to the collection.

The Trek also has the ability to run a neat SS set up with those sliders. I like the Trek as it's slightly less aggressive and will build up way lighter. Slip a 100mm or carbon rigid 490mm fork in there and you have 3 very different, capable bikes.

I like variety and the Stache is slightly more 'variable'. The ROS is just a super fun, no nonsemse BMX that handles just as well as any short travel bike on our trails due to the thin, super complaint tubing. 

OP, if you can get a deal on the Steel Honza I would go for it. Those are 'Buy once' bikes..... Much like the ROS I suppose 

It's an itch, but again, not necessary. 

The Honzo looks good as well, Slades seem great value, that Commencal Meta would be my choice for the price the Honzo as a stand alone buy. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/400020/commencal-meta-ht-am-essential

It depends where you're based and what you want out of riding. I'm looking for something that will good (as a given), rail single track and then get rowdy on the descents. I'm not worried about hours in the saddle and mile munching (though I prolly should be). I'm looking for a fun, goofy bike that makes trails different and throws up new challenges to mix it from my full sus'. 

In that respect the On one DeeDar is bang for not much buck but could be a bit slack. I ran mie with a 140mm fork and it was great fun. £190 for a steel HT is pretty good. 

I'd automatically be thinking of Mr Mercer locally but if you weren't into that then I'd normally be looking over to the uk Stanton, Bird, the new Ribble, Orange... so many. With the rand how it is... not a hope. Loads of sick, sick HT's from the land of HT fun but nope. Can't just pay loads more for something that was not loads 3 weeks ago. Not until I forget what the price was... or it's a Titanium Vendetta Kingdom X2. Then take my kidney, my cash and my first born. 

What you have in your favour is alot of HTs are fun second or third bikes and with how things are you might see some decent ones come up for sale as people need to free up some cash. Not a nice thing but if people are selling then get a goodie rather than something average. 

Edited by T-Bob

That's the one!

Like the Dartmoor frames.

On-one Scandal is also contender from geo point of view but thinking exchange rate will be the killer.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOSC29V3/on-one-scandal-29er-mtb-frame

Not really interested in anything less than 120mm travel, then I'll just keep the one I have now/

Been lucky enough to have owned 3 x On One steel frames ... they are seriously fun rides!

"It depends where you're based and what you want out of riding. I'm looking for something that will good (as a given), rail single track and then get rowdy on the descents. I'm not worried about hours in the saddle and mile munching (though I prolly should be). I'm looking for a fun, goofy bike that makes trails different and throws up new challenges to mix it from my full sus'. "

Exactly the same boat.

Found this beaut on CRC  :drool:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/vitus-sentier-29-vrx-bike-xt-slx-1x12-2020/rp-prod181546

Won't fit the budget though

Then again, steal frame would be a nice cherry on top.

You're making a good point to sit tight for a while to see what jumps out 2nd hand.