Help me with a lekke Hardtail

Joe Soap

Exactly the same boat.

Found this beaut on CRC  :drool:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/vitus-sentier-29-vrx-bike-xt-slx-1x12-2020/rp-prod181546

Won't fit the budget though

Then again, steal frame would be a nice cherry on top.

You're making a good point to sit tight for a while to see what jumps out 2nd hand.

The Large Steel Kona Honzo at Trail Tech... Currently prices at R10k, but I reckon you could whittle a bit off that..........

I don't think you will get a better deal on a frame like that ever, especially new with a warranty. 

140mm ish fork off bikehub, some wheels and I reckon you could glide in at 25k max........

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Large Steel Kona Honzo at Trail Tech... Currently prices at R10k, but I reckon you could whittle a bit off that..........

I don't think you will get a better deal on a frame like that ever, especially new with a warranty. 

140mm ish fork off bikehub, some wheels and I reckon you could glide in at 25k max........

This is great but again the exchange rate kills you. Same with cotic and the rest. 

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ht-725/

I've seen some great second hand bargains but you're never guaranteed something will turn up so that Honzo would be first prize. Great frame and then take your time picking and choosing parts. Shame it's a 29'r as CRC are bound to have sale where Mattoc forks go for sub £200... but I've seen more than a few Pikes going for around R5K. Jeez there were some coil MRPs going for about R5 - 6K mark and that is insanity. Hook up an 11 speed groupo for a bargain as everyone goes nuts to have 12 and you're pretty much there. 

These are decent if you get R500 off. AMC, hope, happiness. Decent tyres. Alternatively go Lyne. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-wheels/398591/american-classic-wide-lightning-29

If you play it right then you're sitting there at about R17500, get some Cura Brakes on special, pimp it a bit (dropper) Lyne bar / stem combo, grips with flange and you've still got enough take the mrs, girlfriend, boyfriend for a fat meal, good wine, and an eventing at a decent boutique hotel near Muizenburg where the proprietor will happily an explain the N+1 theory in detail to your partner and why it should've been a single speed all along.  

Edited by T-Bob

Alternatively your budget will allow you to (just) get this frame and not much else but I still would see that as we massive win. :clap:

kingdom-vendetta-frame-p10066-14446_imag

Edited by T-Bob

Trail Tech are also selling the OneUp droppers, 150mm for 2k... So if you went in with a combo deal I'm sue they will knock some ZAR's off.....

For some amazing NEW stoppers at 2nd hand prices;

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-zee-brakeset

I rate you could easily get a 2nd hand fork for 5k, wheelset for 3k, groupo for 2k.... 

You will be well within budget and have a way better bike than anything off the shop floor.... All bought local.

Yoh I get excited by these things

Trail Tech are also selling the OneUp droppers, 150mm for 2k... So if you went in with a combo deal I'm sue they will knock some ZAR's off.....

For some amazing NEW stoppers at 2nd hand prices;

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-zee-brakeset

I rate you could easily get a 2nd hand fork for 5k, wheelset for 3k, groupo for 2k.... 

You will be well within budget and have a way better bike than anything off the shop floor.... All bought local.

Yoh I get excited by these things

Those one-ups are a great call. They are adjustable height and rocking in cheaper than the local fav', as for the those Zees... No brainer, bend the credit card.

Virtual build project under way! 

Those one-ups are a great call. They are adjustable height and rocking in cheaper than the local fav', as for the those Zees... No brainer, bend the credit card.

Virtual build project under way! 

Don't tell the wife but a set of those Zee's are on their way to our house once allowed....... The Ros asked nicely and I couldn't say no

Don't tell the wife but a set of those Zee's are on their way to our house once allowed....... The Ros asked nicely and I couldn't say no

Those Zee's are awesome - saw the deal and it tempted me even though I already have a set! Paired with 203mm rotor up front and 180mm out back provides stopping power for days!

I like this virtual build project...problem is it creates an itch that becomes difficulty to ignore

They just look so right!

20METAHTAME_2000.jpg

Get the Meta you wont regret it.

The one in the classifieds is under 20K. 

Its a really fun bike. It climbs well, jumps well and bombs down anything. 

I have a Large and I'm around 1.75m tall it fits me well. 

I like this virtual build project...problem is it creates an itch that becomes difficulty to ignore

Ja nee, tell me about it. Turning into a rash. Fast!

Get the Meta you wont regret it.

The one in the classifieds is under 20K. 

Its a really fun bike. It climbs well, jumps well and bombs down anything. 

I have a Large and I'm around 1.75m tall it fits me well. 

Would have pulled the trigger there but that Medium will be to small, I'm 184

Give me a shout if you are interested in this...

Large Silverback Slade. Fox34, XO1 11spd, ShimanonXT brakes, Lyne Carbon bars, Lyne 170mm dropper, DT350 hubs with Roval Traverse rims, and some nice other bits and pieces. It was going to go onto the classifieds but plans put on hold because of lockdown. She is a hoot.

EDIT: 170mm dropper, not 150mm.

post-82251-0-42495300-1587748834_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Large Silverback Slade. Fox34, XO1 11spd, ShimanonXT brakes, Lyne Carbon bars, Lyne 150mm dropper, and some nice other bits and pieces. It was going to go onto the classifieds but plans put on hold because of lockdown. She is a hoot.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20200405-140042_Gallery.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by PhilipV

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!giphy.gif

Other bikes need love, baby on the way means money is not as free flowing as it once was....

Large Silverback Slade. Fox34, XO1 11spd, ShimanonXT brakes, Lyne Carbon bars, Lyne 150mm dropper, DT350 hubs with Roval Traverse rims, and some nice other bits and pieces. It was going to go onto the classifieds but plans put on hold because of lockdown. She is a hoot.

Screenshot_20200405-140042_Gallery.jpg

Nooooooo! If it was a medium. How tall are you?