Titan Racing Bikes - Any thoughts?

Kameel

Newbie here - first Bike Hub post!

I used to ride mtb a few years ago. Completed a handful of mtb races (Die Burger, Argus MTB, Nissan Trailseeker) on my Merida Big Nine that time. Then we got kids ???? sold the bike with that also.

Want to get back into riding now. I have a buget of about R20k. I'm seeing fantastic deals on Titan Racing bikes. The 2020 Drone Elite and the 2020 Drone Pro both have a Rockshox SID fork and XT or GX drivetrains respectively (1x12) Both have Level brakes. These bikes seem like great value for money without the need to upgrade (apart from the wheels maybe at a later stage..?).

On the other hand..my mind is also throwing me into the direction of exploring the world of dual suspension. When I used to ride my Big Nine I was getting lower back issues the moment I hit about 30km, but I also had a frame size too small (I had a L instead of XL)..So now I can get a Silverback Stratos AL5 for the same price as the Titans, but much lower spec components. Or maybe a 2019 Merida Ninety Six with a NX drivetrain for R23k (going over my budget here..).

I need an XL frame and unfortunately don't see a lot of them 2nd hand.

I'll be riding in the Western Cape. Mostly Bottelary Hills and Tygerberg routes. I'm usually quite strong on the climbs but slightly 'conservative' (formal for pissy) on the descents ????

Any reason why I shouldn't go for one of the Titan bikes? They sport great components, but is their overall quality on par? Or should I rather consider a duallie with cheaper components in that same price range?

Any thoughts will help..thanks

Titan are making brilliant bikes at very decent prices. Their warranty is one of the best in the business. They get good reviews from everyone who owns them (as far as I know anyway).

They may not be the sexiest or most desirable brand out there, but I wouldn't think twice about buying one. At your price point I don't think you will find anything better unless you go 2nd hand which carries it's own risks.

Titan are making brilliant bikes at very decent prices. Their warranty is one of the best in the business. They get good reviews from everyone who owns them (as far as I know anyway).

They may not be the sexiest or most desirable brand out there, but I wouldn't think twice about buying one. At your price point I don't think you will find anything better unless you go 2nd hand which carries it's own risks.

^^This. Cliffie and the boys are doing fantastic work, there. 

Rally can’t beat them for value for money at the moment.  Decent drivetrains and as mentioned, excellent warranty. Whether you go for a HT or dual, don’t think you can go wrong. 

Bike Addict have some pretty good deals on them.

https://bikenetwork.co.za/xc-test-in-a-global-exclusive-we-test-the-all-new-titan-racing-100mm-cypher-rs-race-machine/

Have a look! 

Good luck shopping :0

Cheers

Onto our second Titan.

HAPPY !!!

When I replaced my bike in February I had a good look at Titan, due to our good experience with the brand.  But they did not have what I was looking for, or would have been our third TITAN.

As an owner of a Plus Elite I can vouch for it. Purely judging by the frame I can confidently say that it is as high quality a component as my Silverback Sola was. All of the Titan branded components it shipped with are also holding up well.

The dropper seatpost lever I have isn't great. I bought a bike at the price I did with a dropper included though so I wasn't expecting a Kashima transfer post. Other than that nothing but positives from my side.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a Titan but:

I know people who do ride Titans - have not heard a single complaint.

The Bike Addict deals are really tempting...

I am no expert on bikes, but as a consumer I can definitely say that Titan bikes appeal massively to me personally. Everything from entry level bikes to good value carbon racers. Sure there will be companies that put a lot into racers, and will be the standout, but they won't be in the same pricing bracket.

on that note (sorry to hijack the OP) I am looking for a 2nd hand Titan Stryker in XL/61cm frame size if any one knows :ph34r:

I bought a Titan Expert in early 2015, it was the only bike I could afford at the time and I wasn't too sure if I was making the right decision.

But it was a great bike for the price. It lasted for about 4 years of torture through trails in the Transkei and gravel roads through the Eastern Cape clocking roughly 4000km's on it, I even did the half of the 36One in 2018 on it.

I've moved on to a dual sus bike now but would love to get that bike back again.

I wish people would use a MTB or Road switch in the thread title.

Didn't know one can do that? Will try it out next time, thanks!

So just an update - I was on the verge of getting myself the Drone Elite from Titan, but then I came across a fantastic deal on a Stratos which I rather went for.

Still rolling around in bed at night about that Titan though...if I end up going back to hard tail, I'm going for it.

Thanks for all the input