Indoor trainer

Hi guys. Keen for an indoor trainer but the idea of having to setup my bike each time I want to bring it indoors seems annoying especially if it’s muddy. What suggestions for a good quality indoor complete trainer like a watt bike type setup. What are options and prices? Watt bike seems very expensive.

Hi guys. Keen for an indoor trainer but the idea of having to setup my bike each time I want to bring it indoors seems annoying especially if it’s muddy. What suggestions for a good quality indoor complete trainer like a watt bike type setup. What are options and prices? Watt bike seems very expensive.

Jacques going through the same questions I opted to buy a second hand road bike :

post-110956-0-07418700-1588156325_thumb.jpg

After a bit of a search I found this bike at Bike Addict, for only R 4 500. 

What has worked for allot of us:

Get an old bike, doesn't matter whether it is a 26er or old road bike. Mount it permanently to the IDT(Make sure it is still roughly the right size). Leave your pride and joy for outside riding. My 26er had enough clearance for a road wheel with the right IDT Tyre.

Search classifieds, sort from Cheapest. One example.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/396332/trek-1200-in-good-condition

Going to work you out way cheaper than a complete trainer.

I ride indoors during the week and then take bike off trainer on weekends. Bike goes back on trainer after a good wash on Sunday. It's a bit of a schlep, but not too bad.  

General approach is to buy a cheap second hand bike for a more permanent IDT setup. That's my plan when I can convince the powers that be that it's a worthwhile investment.

Buy yourself a new bike, and mount the old [current] bike onto the trainer.

That way, if your new bike is out of action for any reason, you always have another bike to get out on.

Buy yourself a new bike, and mount the old [current] bike onto the trainer.

That way, if your new bike is out of action for any reason, you always have another bike to get out on.

That was what I did. N+1 for the win...

also helps to run it on dirt cheap single speed or 9/10 speed set ups. You can rack up big kms indoors and a cheap 10speed chain lasts a really long time in a sterile indoor environment. So your running costs are low.

Hey guys, 

Sorry to jump into the thread, but i have 29er MTB wheel with a cassette and a slick tyre on for indoor training that i want to get rid of. 

DM me if you interested. 

Jono 

I've mounted my old 26" MTB on my trainer which has been great. I've also found that the MTB gives me a more upright stance which is less strain on my back and shoulders on longer sessions.